What is this New Immigration procedure when disembarking?????

Harrylinden

Did they ask to see you paper passport?

Yes, you do. Here is a link to download Mobile Passport: http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/mobile-passport/

Here is a link for Port Everglades information. Page 16 explains Global Entry and Mobile Passport, show your Global Entry card and you go to the front of the line.

http://en.calameo.com/read/004673538c598127b6702

I think Global Entry is what you should have.:cool: https://search.usa.gov/search?query=global+entry&affiliate=cbpgov

Edited by southernbreezes
add gov. link

Yes, you do. Here is a link to download Mobile Passport: http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/mobile-passport/

Here is a link for Port Everglades information. Page 16 explains Global Entry and Mobile Passport, show your Global Entry card and you go to the front of the line.

I think Global Entry is what you should have.:cool: https://www.cbp.gov/

We have both Global Entry and Mobile Passport. On our two most recent cruises, we were prepared to go with whichever line seemed quickest, and that was Mobile Passport. As more people acquire Mobile Passport, perhaps Global Entry will become the quicker or the two, but for now, the absolutely free Mobile Passport might be the better choice. On the other hand, if you travel a lot, including international flights, Global Entry would be my recommendation too.

As an aside, the Port Everglades booklet contains the same error as much of the other Mobile Passport promotional material does: it fails to point out that the program is intended for Canadian travellers as well as American. I imagine that they are losing a good number of potential customers this way. Too bad.

Finally figured it out after my original post. Will definitely save time. But we are cruising out of Miami, and they do not yet accept mobile passport. Hopefully they will soon!

Yes, you still need to show your actual passport. Having used it at Port Everglades in November and again last month, I highly recommend it.

I think Global Entry is what you should have.:cool: https://search.usa.gov/search?query=global+entry&affiliate=cbpgov

When we were at Port Everglades a few weeks ago, Global Entry has a separate line (left most) without wait. You do get some dirty looks from the people queuing up on the other 4 or 5 lines as you walk to the agent. Good thing I remember to bring our GE cards.

I will never understand why only the US requires an immigration procedure after a closed loop cruise. The same people left the US a week or so before and all foreign people went through immigration before when entering the country. They all already hold the required form of visa. If this visa or visa waivet has not expired or people have been exchanged during the cruise everyone has already been checked and cleared. Different story if you enter for the first time of course, e.g. after a transatlantic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Excellent question we have often wondered the same thing.

We just returned to the port of Galveston from the Liberty of the Seas. In the past Canadian residents have often joined the US citizen lines or had their own line at immigration. Not so this last time, all International guests qued together into three lines out of twelve that were operating. The US lines moved along fairly quickly. Not so the International lines, with 800 friendly guests from Mexico, all of the Mexican adults had to have their fingerprints checked (!?) causing major delays for International guests. Wow! We got off the ship in good time, probably in the first half of the passengers and watched as the all of the US passengers cleared immigration leaving three long lines of International passengers still waiting until they finally ushered the remaining International guests to the now empty US ques. We were some of the last to be processed and had the crew agoing ashore queuing up behind us! The long two hour lineup was not a very warm and friendly return. When we finally did get processed the agent processed us in barely a minute, a seemingly unnecessarily long and frustrating wait after an otherwise enjoy table vacation.

Patience required for International guests!

Dianne

I have the mobile passport app but have not had an opportunity to use it yet, so pardon my ignorance. If you still have to show your paper passport, what's the purpose of the mobile passport app?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Excellent question we have often wondered the same thing.

We just returned to the port of Galveston from the Liberty of the Seas. In the past Canadian residents have often joined the US citizen lines or had their own line at immigration. Not so this last time, all International guests qued together into three lines out of twelve that were operating. The US lines moved along fairly quickly. Not so the International lines, with 800 friendly guests from Mexico, all of the Mexican adults had to have their fingerprints checked (!?) causing major delays for International guests. Wow! We got off the ship in good time, probably in the first half of the passengers and watched as the all of the US passengers cleared immigration leaving three long lines of International passengers still waiting until they finally ushered the remaining International guests to the now empty US ques. We were some of the last to be processed and had the crew agoing ashore queuing up behind us! The long two hour lineup was not a very warm and friendly return. When we finally did get processed the agent processed us in barely a minute, a seemingly unnecessarily long and frustrating wait after an otherwise enjoy table vacation.

Patience required for International guests!

Dianne

the only way the government is going to change is if so many international passengers stop traveling that celebrity, carnival, Marriott, etc complain and say that it is hurting their business. While this would seem to be a trump issue, it's really not, the us has always had the worse queues for international travelers.

I will never understand why only the US requires an immigration procedure after a closed loop cruise. The same people left the US a week or so before and all foreign people went through immigration before when entering the country. They all already hold the required form of visa. If this visa or visa waivet has not expired or people have been exchanged during the cruise everyone has already been checked and cleared. Different story if you enter for the first time of course, e.g. after a transatlantic.

During a closed loop cruise, a ship visits a number of foreign countries. While ship's security attempts to ensure that no one boards who wasn't part of the original crew and passengers, the US government quite rightly needs to verify the bona fides of everyone entering the US from the ship. I don't see an issue here.

I have the mobile passport app but have not had an opportunity to use it yet, so pardon my ignorance. If you still have to show your paper passport, what's the purpose of the mobile passport app?

"Mobile Passport" is really a bit of a misnomer, as it has more to do with eliminating the paper customs declaration than it has to do with passports. Using the app to submit your passport information along with your declaration, the USG has an electronic record of this information. So on the one hand, you can be processed more quickly, while on the other, they greatly reduce their paper handling and storage requirements. They could have done this without a dedicated line to fast track passengers through Primary, but then there would have been little incentive for passengers to use the app. By providing an expedited line, the USG and passengers using the app both benefit.

I have to say that every debarkation that I've had at Port Everglades over the past 3-4 years has been a complete mess. Each time, we've had to wait over an hour in the terminal to go through customs. It doesn't matter if you were U.S. or international... it was all the same. Granted, one of these instances was a transatlantic, but the others were closed loop. It was so bad that many people started cutting the line because they were in danger of missing their flights.

I can understand the argument of having to check everyone after debarking a cruise, but clearly there's a better way that Port Everglades has not discovered yet; because each time I debark in San Juan, Miami, San Diego, and Bayonne, there's never more than a 5 or so minute delay. The 1+ hour of waiting in the terminal definitely puts a damper on an already "miserable" day.

I do have to say, lately I've been sailing out of San Juan and Miami more often because of the bad experiences at Fort Lauderdale (also, it helps that flying to Miami from here I am is usually $100-150 cheaper too vs. Ft. Lauderdale!)

During a closed loop cruise, a ship visits a number of foreign countries. While ship's security attempts to ensure that no one boards who wasn't part of the original crew and passengers, the US government quite rightly needs to verify the bona fides of everyone entering the US from the ship. I don't see an issue here.

Correct but this risk applies equally to US and other nationalities. Just verify passports with people but no need for a new immigration procedure and two groups.

Correct but this risk applies equally to US and other nationalities. Just verify passports with people but no need for a new immigration procedure and two groups.

I was responding to the issue of why everyone still needs to be cleared for re-entry into the US, even following a closed loop cruise. To what new procedure and two groups are you now referring?

I arrived with Silhouette on Sunday and while we had to fill in the blue form, the actual immigration process was very painless. I'm a Norwegian passport holder and they just glanced at my passport, took my blue form and asked if I was bringing any food. After 10 seconds I was on my way. There were also many booths open and there was no line.

I see your point, but at the same time I think it all goes back to the issue of accountability. US Customs are responsible to ensure that those entering the US do so lawfully. Even on a closed loop cruise, the alternative would be to shift the accountability to the cruise lines employees to make sure no one joined the ship at a foreign port without proper US required credentials. Granted, most cruise lines are very diligent about that. But it is ultimately the responsibility of the US to make sure our own borders are secure. Redundant? Most of the time, yes. But I for one will sacrifice a little redundancy for enhanced security, especially in this day and age.

I see your point, but at the same time I think it all goes back to the issue of accountability. US Customs are responsible to ensure that those entering the US do so lawfully. Even on a closed loop cruise, the alternative would be to shift the accountability to the cruise lines employees to make sure no one joined the ship at a foreign port without proper US required credentials. Granted, most cruise lines are very diligent about that. But it is ultimately the responsibility of the US to make sure our own borders are secure. Redundant? Most of the time, yes. But I for one will sacrifice a little redundancy for enhanced security, especially in this day and age.

👍 National security is a government responsibility, and the USG can't start downloading immigration responsibilities to cruise lines any more than it can assign immigration accountability to airlines.

Just off the Summit's repo from San Juan to NJ. Disembarkation was quick even though we were delayed docking due to a cargo ship being late getting out of our dock area per the announcement. Lines were moving fast. Customs and immigration was very fast and efficient. No complaints.

👍 National security is a government responsibility, and the USG can't start downloading immigration responsibilities to cruise lines any more than it can assign immigration accountability to airlines.

Anyone wanting to do harm in any country is going to find a way to get in (the 9/11 attackers were here on valid visas, for example). There are not thousands of people switching IDs with cruise ship passengers so that they can sail back to the US and get off the ship. It's frankly a much more likely scenario that an employee would try to enter & stay. Entrance back into the US could be handled just as easily by private security doing document checks. It's a huge waste of resources to pretend otherwise. The dollars spent to check cruise passengers who are doing closed loop tours would be better spent making sure people weren't overstaying their visas, which is a bigger source of "illegal immigration" in the US today than border crossings.

• 2 weeks later...
"Mobile Passport" is really a bit of a misnomer, as it has more to do with eliminating the paper customs declaration than it has to do with passports. Using the app to submit your passport information along with your declaration, the USG has an electronic record of this information. So on the one hand, you can be processed more quickly, while on the other, they greatly reduce their paper handling and storage requirements. They could have done this without a dedicated line to fast track passengers through Primary, but then there would have been little incentive for passengers to use the app. By providing an expedited line, the USG and passengers using the app both benefit.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got off the Equinox this morning (4/24/17) and it was the quickest every. Our tag number was 12 and called about 7:00 am we were on the street waiting for our car service in 20-25 minutes. We were really surprised how well it went.

I was on the April 24 sailing that sailed out of Miami and got off the ship on May 6. I was number 4 and our number was called around 7:50. It took more time to walk off the ship and thru the terminal that it did to go thru immigration. The immigration customs form was not required in Miami. They checked our passport and said have a nice day. I asked the agent about the declaration and he said that it is now a honor system.

Too bad that Ft Lauderdale doesn't have luggage carousels like Miami. It was so much easier finding and getting our luggage than the cramped area in Ft Lauderdale.

Happy cruising 🌊🇺🇸🚢🌞

I got off Equinox a week earlier than that review and the only new immigration procedure was that we didn't need to fill out the customs form. Things were so fast that my husband who was a couple of steps behind me almost didn't stop walking.

I've certainly had much longer waits in the past and there have been cruises where immigration was backed up enough that we spent an hour winding our way slowly through the line to get there. I don't know where or how anyone could provide seating to alleviate that since they'd need to move along with the line, but the wait is entirely dependant upon customs staffing and how much time they spend with each person.