Using OBC to pay for shore excursions in advance of the cruise?

shifty

I'm eagerly awaiting. My cruise is in June. I can't imagine beginning my cruise by standing in line to book a tour that I should have been able to book in advance. Hoping this is resolved sooner rather than later[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Celebrity just recently started allowing it. When you log into your cruise on the Celebrity website, it shows you how much Celebrity OBC you have. Then, it allows you to use it. I haven't done it yet but others report being successful. I'm looking forward to using it for my next Azamara cruise. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The last time I asked the ETA was the end of September 2017.

That is extremely disappointing. We said September 16 and have a lot of OBC to use. As this was being discussed over a year ago, it is unfathomable to me that it will take that long for "technology" issues. So passengers will still have credit they cannot use for excursions that are likely to be cancelled due to not meeting a minimum number of people because they couldn't book online ahead of time. Silly business model, and since it's clear AZ knows it's an issue, I'm surprised they aren't making it a priority.

That is extremely disappointing. We said September 16 and have a lot of OBC to use. As this was being discussed over a year ago, it is unfathomable to me that it will take that long for "technology" issues. So passengers will still have credit they cannot use for excursions that are likely to be cancelled due to not meeting a minimum number of people because they couldn't book online ahead of time. Silly business model, and since it's clear AZ knows it's an issue, I'm surprised they aren't making it a priority.

I think the problem is that AZ doesn't control their website -- Royal Caribbean does. And AZ isn't a priority to them...

Me too. I'm looking at offers for my next cruise and see OBC as a perk for booking early. It's not tempting given this situation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As of I believe March 1st, OBC will now be for anything, not just shore excursions

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I called shoreside about this. I was hoping to somehow get a reservation on a tour during my upcoming cruise to save me standing in line and possibly not getting it at all. They directed me to the shore excursions dept., who insisted that I can use my credit for ANYTHING. I repeatedly questioned this and the answer never changed.

Looks like there is an issue again for 12 May Nile cruise. One excursion we want has already sold out and another is close to sell out. We are onboard (this cruise also has had some sell outs from very soon after land discoveries on boarding day). I know onboard they are going to try and do everything to get people with OBC trips. I do hope if they don't manage that our OBC will be transferred to refundable OBC. But I hope even more we get our trips!

Looks like there is an issue again for 12 May Nile cruise. One excursion we want has already sold out and another is close to sell out. We are onboard (this cruise also has had some sell outs from very soon after land discoveries on boarding day). I know onboard they are going to try and do everything to get people with OBC trips. I do hope if they don't manage that our OBC will be transferred to refundable OBC. But I hope even more we get our trips!

Hi

I am not trying to be mean but why don;t you just buy the tours you want. I am not leaving for a year but I am buying and paying for what I want. My logic is I am not flying all that way and not taking a chance on an if and a maybe I get the tours I want. I am spending all this money on the cruise and I want to make sure I see what I want. If it costs me some money so be it & I am far from rich. In fact I still work and am 69. I personally think complaining is like someone giving you a gift that you don;t like or can't use. Buy yourself some jewelry or get some spa treatments on the cruise with the OBC that you don;t use on tours. People please don;t yell at me. This is just my opinion & this is what makes our country so great everyone can have their opinion.

Kathy

Edited by rabin1

Changing LD OBC to be useable anywhere helps, but has the potential for causing unhappiness when there will be cruises with passengers who've booked both before and after March 1. Those who booked early will be punished by having limited OBC while those who book after will be able to use theirs for everything? Is that the plan? Seems like the more fair way would be to immediately make that change for anyone who finds that they can't book the tour they want, at least until Azamara is able to work out preboarding LD bookings using OBC.

Hi

I am not trying to be mean but why don;t you just buy the tours you want. I am not leaving for a year but I am buying and paying for what I want. My logic is I am not flying all that way and not taking a chance on an if and a maybe I get the tours I want. I am spending all this money on the cruise and I want to make sure I see what I want. If it costs me some money so be it & I am far from rich. In fact I still work and am 69. I personally think complaining is like someone giving you a gift that you don;t like or can't use. Buy yourself some jewelry or get some spa treatments on the cruise with the OBC that you don;t use on tours. People please don;t yell at me. This is just my opinion

Kathy

Kathy, I don't think you're being mean at all, but this is about having OBC offered as a benefit, then not being able to use it at all. No specialty dining, jewelry or massages because it can ONLY be used for LD tours which may not be available. It's possible that's some passengers budget for the cruise based on using OBC for Land Discoveries. If it's offered, it should be useful.

Kathy, I don't think you're being mean at all, but this is about having OBC offered as a benefit, then not being able to use it at all. No specialty dining, jewelry or massages because it can ONLY be used for LD tours which may not be available. It's possible that's some passengers budget for the cruise based on using OBC for Land Discoveries. If it's offered, it should be useful.

Exactly

And even if it's general use credit as some of mine is it's pretty useless except on excursions because we are in a suite so speciality dining is already covered. The OBC is a four figure sum a lot to lose!

I just looked at our future booking. We booked under BOHO+ with free internet and no OBC. The current offer would come out a little cheaper -- but only if we could use up $2000 OBC, which I don't think would be possible even if it can be used for anything onboard.

Hi

I am not trying to be mean but why don;t you just buy the tours you want. I am not leaving for a year but I am buying and paying for what I want. My logic is I am not flying all that way and not taking a chance on an if and a maybe I get the tours I want. I am spending all this money on the cruise and I want to make sure I see what I want. If it costs me some money so be it & I am far from rich. In fact I still work and am 69. I personally think complaining is like someone giving you a gift that you don;t like or can't use. Buy yourself some jewelry or get some spa treatments on the cruise with the OBC that you don;t use on tours. People please don;t yell at me. This is just my opinion & this is what makes our country so great everyone can have their opinion.

Kathy

Kathy,

We booked our first Azamara cruise for Oct 2017 over a year ago and we are really looking forward to it. At the time we received a sizable amount of OBC which is good only for land discoveries. If we could use it in the spa I would do that and pay for our excursions now. Any perks received when booking are not really free, they are built into the cost of the trip. Since I feel I have already paid for them I would like to be able to use this OBC for the purpose intended. It is not unreasonable to want to book land discoveries, using your credit, ahead of your trip. This would also give Azamara a more accurate headcount for each excursion choice which could help prevent last minute cancelations due to not enough participants, which I have read on this board to also be a problem.

Jane

Me too. I'm looking at offers for my next cruise and see OBC as a perk for booking early. It's not tempting given this situation.

Interesting conversation today, Azamara Land Discoveries (Miami) rang today enquiring if We were going to book any excursions on our June cruise. When I replied that we were waiting until we board to use our OBC, he stated that we could book them now and the OBC would be credited against our account when we boarded and our prepaid excursions would be refunded. ( provided the account remained in Credit at the end of the cruise)

When I questioned whether this was a change in policy he advised that it has only been in place for the last month!

Has anyone else been made aware of this?

Interesting conversation today, Azamara Land Discoveries (Miami) rang today enquiring if We were going to book any excursions on our June cruise. When I replied that we were waiting until we board to use our OBC, he stated that we could book them now and the OBC would be credited against our account when we boarded and our prepaid excursions would be refunded. ( provided the account remained in Credit at the end of the cruise)

When I questioned whether this was a change in policy he advised that it has only been in place for the last month!

Has anyone else been made aware of this?[/quote

So you can purchase ahead of time and then be refunded? That is something new and I certainly hope that you have been given accurate information. Perhaps Bonnie can check on this. Not as convenient as being able to purchase and be credited immediately, but still an improvement.