TV and films on Jade

They used to have a rolling movie channel, but not one you could start/stop - you had to get a print out of the times from guest services. I'm not entirely sure about post-refurb but I understand they didn't change the system. They have updated the tv screens though.

I think they also showed the odd film in the atrium.

Just off the Jade Sunday. The TV's are new, but not the system unfortunately. There were two movie channels that rolled through some fairly new movies (La La Land, Ghost-busters, Fences, Passengers, Jason Borne, Rogue One, and several others I can't remember). The info channel had the lineup for the day and what time the movies were going to play on those two channels. I wish it had the interactive system like some of the newer ships had.

2 movie channels on the Jade .

They repeated the same several movies over and over for 7 days .

No way to start / stop . At times the same movie was on both channels.

Very sad TV programing as compared to other cruise ships .

One sports channel with endless soccer it seemed.

4 news channels

The rest of the channels were NCL this & that .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lucky we are only on the ship for a week! Looks like there should be enough to keep us entertained, but I'll bring some paperbacks to ensure I won't get bored. After a busy day on shore, and the drinks package, a few evenings curled up in the cabin won't come amiss!

Thanks for all the information, good to know what to expect on board.

We enjoyed the new movies when getting ready for bed, getting ready to go, waiting for someone to finish their shower, etc. Never watched one from start to finish, but picked up enough of a few of them to get the idea that we might want to rent at home. The good thing about the TV Shows channel is there are no commercials, but that's also the bad thing, because they still start shows on the hour and half hour. So you wind up with around 10 minutes of nothing before every hour and half hour and just a silent screen of what show is coming up next. The news channels all show the same thing 24/7, so they were useless. Sports channel was always soccer, like someone said, and maybe a couple hours of tennis one day. I did notice that in the whiskey bar area they were showing other sports now and then, like some NBA games.

The live channels will be quite unreliable over the summer when she is inside the Norwegian fjords. That far north the sat dish will be pointing very low trying to see the satellite. Most of the fjords have high sheer cliffs and mountains on the south side and that will shield the signal. The films will be OK because they are already on the ship system.

The fabulous sights should compensate and the tv should stay off most of the time. And it will stay light for most of the time as well so plenty to see all of the time the satellite is hidden by those snow-capped mountains.

I apologize for hijack but quick question for old nutter since it seems he has done the Jade in Norway. Just how bad is the internet speed? I expect slow, but was it manageable to log in, retrieve email, log out to respond, log back in to send? Debating if we need an unlimited package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did it twice on Cunard a few years ago and there were times when there was no satellite access for anything. I remember it being particularly bad when we were docked/anchored in Flamm and Geiranger. The ship is moored with huge cliffs and mountains to the south. Access was variable when underway in the fjords and by late evening when we were out to sea on those days, all was fine. Norway is pretty advanced telecomms-wise, because they are used to those big lumps of rock so local wifi might be available now when in sight of land. Also, I don't know if the new-ish system on Jade is able to use ground-based data support when available, so that problem might have gone by now. Don't forget though that mobile phone data will be very expensive in Norway so be careful with your phone's data options to avoid hidden data access charges. Probably worth asking the Internet manager on the ship before you buy any big data packages.

Hope that helps.

Edited by old nutter
a bit more info

Did it twice on Cunard a few years ago and there were times when there was no satellite access for anything. I remember it being particularly bad when we were docked/anchored in Flamm and Geiranger. The ship is moored with huge cliffs and mountains to the south. Access was variable when underway in the fjords and by late evening when we were out to sea on those days, all was fine. Norway is pretty advanced telecomms-wise, because they are used to those big lumps of rock so local wifi might be available now when in sight of land. Also, I don't know if the new-ish system on Jade is able to use ground-based data support when available, so that problem might have gone by now. Don't forget though that mobile phone data will be very expensive in Norway so be careful with your phone's data options to avoid hidden data access charges. Probably worth asking the Internet manager on the ship before you buy any big data packages.

Hope that helps.

Thank you :).

• 4 weeks later...

Quick post cruise update.

We got a list of film times from the service counter, so at least we knew what was on when. Unfortunately, they changed the schedule during the week. We had watched half of Passengers one evening, and were planning to catch the other half later and it wasn't on! Got an updated list from customer services. The schedule is also displayed on the screen, but you have to be quick to read it, we took a quick photo to refer to! There was enough time with no scenic views to watch three films, and I only read half of one book. The live tv channels were limited and pretty useless.

Re wifi, we had the 240 minute package included, and had an hour left unused at the end of the 8 day cruise. We checked the weather forecasts, read and replied to emails, and read the UK newspapers. We were able to access free wifi at several ports, either in coffee shops where we had planned to have refreshments anyway, or via the terminal buildings at the port, or the tourist offices. At Alesund, we were given the free access password, and found that it worked on the promenade deck.

We were very happy with the amount of access we had, met our needs and avoided wasting time looking for free wifi during our sightseeing time.

The live channels will be quite unreliable over the summer when she is inside the Norwegian fjords. That far north the sat dish will be pointing very low trying to see the satellite. Most of the fjords have high sheer cliffs and mountains on the south side and that will shield the signal. The films will be OK because they are already on the ship system.

The fabulous sights should compensate and the tv should stay off most of the time. And it will stay light for most of the time as well so plenty to see all of the time the satellite is hidden by those snow-capped mountains.

Unless you are in a inside cabin. That might make it hard to see the sights. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums