gel pedicure

CruisinCrow

I do my own manicures and pedicures and my toes always last longer. Chipping has a lot to do with body chemistry. People may use the same polish and on one it doesn't chip for 5 days, and on someone else it chips the first day. Some products also work better on some people, and not others. Base coats and top coats that work for me, may not have the same affect for you.

I don't care for any application that requires soaking in acetone to remove. Just my personal choice.

Since my cruises are 10+ days, I always bring what I need onboard. I usually bring 2-4 polish colors for changes. It is something I enjoy doing, so it's relaxing for me.

My suggestion would be bring your own polish for a pedicure and take it with you if you need touch ups.

I find regular polish will last about 1 week, if I'm not doing paperwork...that tends to scrape the color off the ends of my nails! I use at least 2 topcoat coats....and I can go an entire week without a "touch up". I, too, bring polish for touch ups or re-dos, if I'm going longer than a week.

I agree with crzndeb. better to just get regular pedi with your own polish so you can take that polish with you for touch ups. Gel polish is actually worse in water at least for long term it tends to peel off. Regular may chip but if you take some polish wipes and a bottle for touch up you would be better served

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by jmckay331

Thanks, everyone. I think I will probably just use regular polish and take some with me for touch ups.

Pedicures usually last about 3 weeks for me but if I'm doing a lot of snorkeling, the polish tends to start chipping off.

Thanks, cruise.25! Any issues with getting it off afterwards? I keep hearing it's hard to remove but a lady I talked to at the salon who has having her toes done said it's not a problem. Maybe it depends on the technician and the solution they use?

I always get a gel pedicure. Lasts so much longer then a regular one. I walk around barefoot so I am always stubbing my toes but since I have the gel I don't worry about

cracked nails. Much more sturdy. When I get a new pedi they soak off the gel first.

Go for it, try it at least once I don't think you will be sorry.

I have a gel nail kit that I do at home. I have been doing gel pedicures for years now -- it would be really hard for me to go back to a regular polish pedi now. My gel pedi lasts 3-4 weeks. I usually only have to change it because it has grown out so much. It stays looking great--very shiny and no spot rubbed off the top of my big toe nail.

I have a gel nail kit that I do at home. I have been doing gel pedicures for years now -- it would be really hard for me to go back to a regular polish pedi now. My gel pedi lasts 3-4 weeks. I usually only have to change it because it has grown out so much. It stays looking great--very shiny and no spot rubbed off the top of my big toe nail.

What kind of Gel Nail kit do you have and where can I get one?

What kind of Gel Nail kit do you have and where can I get one?

I bought the Red Carpet Manicure kit from Ulta Beauty. I think it was about $70 for the kit that contains everything you need, including a bottle of red polish. That brand has a good range of colors and usually has some seasonal ones as well. I've also used colored gel polish I bought at Sally, different brand than RCM, but it worked just as well.

It was a great investment and I love being able to do my own mani/pedi that lasts for weeks from the comfort of my own home.

Edited by dottyparka
misspellings, d'oh

• 3 weeks later...

I'm always in the water. Whatever you decide, your polish is going to chip or come off altogether, so choose an option that allows you to touch up or even completely redo a nail.

For women planning on surfing, snorkeling SUPing, etc. I would stay away from extensions for your cruise.

I've been wearing gel on my fingernails for years. My natural nails are strong and grow fast so regular polish only lasts maybe 2 days!

We're heading out on the Splendor for an 8 day cruise so I am getting gel on my toes too. Yes, it takes longer to get the polish off, yes you have to soak it. That's known ahead of time and just part of getting a gel manicure, not sure why it's an issue?

I also have a gel kit at home. I used to be a Jamberry consultant and love their gel system. I haven't used it on my toes yet, but my lacquer generally lasts at least a month on my toes. My advice from what I've learned, is whether you're doing gel or lacquer or polish, make sure you prep your nails. File, buff, wash your hands and nails with dish soap, then wipe with an alcohol wipe or rubbing alcohol. This removes oils and makes the polish bond better! This makes a huge difference on how long it'll last!

I always have a gel pedicure for travel. On our last cruise I was in and out of the pool every day and it lasted four weeks. That was OPI Gelcoat.

You need to make sure that the proper base and top coats are used, and that your toenails are completely dry before starting to put the gel on.

I would try out the gel before your cruise, they seem to give different results and you won't know unless you try. I've had poor luck with gels, they chip quickly and weaken my nails. Regular OPI has much more staying power for ME. I wish you luck in your quest for the perfect pedicure. Have a delicious cruise!

I ended up getting a regular pedicure and taking a bottle of polish for touch ups. Of course, the first time I went snorkeling, I scuffed everything up. :) Oh well, it lasted long enough to get me through the week. My main concern with the gel pedicure was having it removed.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a gel mani pedi for my last cruise and was thrilled with how well it held up. After about 3 weeks the nails still looked good - until they started to break off near the base!!

My DD tells me that she can use some gels but not others. Some are very hard on the nails (in both senses of the word).

I lost the entire nail on one big toe. It was really painful at first, but the nail is growing back in - in a really rough and irregular way. It might never look the same. :(