Camera Recommendation

Jim_Iain

I am looking for a good shirt pocket size camera. While I have a nice SLR camera I really enjoy a good camera that will fit in my pocket and not have a large camera to lug around while on shore excursions.

Recommendations appreciated.

If you don't have budget limitations, the Sony RX100 V is pocketable, rivals some DSLRs in image quality and is at the top of its class.

Otherwise, the Sony HX80, Panasonic Canon PowerShot SX620 HS, or Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS60 are worth looking at.

Your problem won't be finding a good camera. Your problem will be choosing between a vast number of good cameras.

Dave

Whats wrong with the camera on your phone. Such is the quality of phone cameras these days I have found that my "camera" is now redundant and when I upgrade my phone the quality of the camera is as important as the phone itself. It is also cheaper than a camera

I use an earlier version of the Olympus TG-4 and appreciate that it:

1. can be used in rain, waterfalls and underwater as it is waterproof and very well sealed

2. has a max aperture of f2.0

3. works just as well for general photos

4. is "Tough" as the specs state - I dropped mine onto asphalt raod and no damage apart from a few scratches

5. the lens zoom range is equivalent to 25-100mm

A friend has the Canon Powershot G9X Mark !! and I like its smaller size, but

6. max aperture is only f2.8

7. zoom range is only 28-84mm

8. it is not waterproof

For travel, cruises with excursions and variable weather conditions and to avoid worries about it getting wet, the Olympus is hard to go past.

One other and maybe irrelevant point - in my personal opinion, the Olympus lenses (including in their compact cameras) do a great job rendering greens, reds and blues, i.e. landscapes, foliage, gardens, ocean shots, but are not as great on skin tones.

Hope this helps

BulaBoi

If you don't have budget limitations, the Sony RX100 V is pocketable, rivals some DSLRs in image quality and is at the top of its class.

Dave

agreed! any of the RX100 models are good, but the mark V is just the latest & hopefully best of them.

I don't go anywhere without my RX100 mII

Whats wrong with the camera on your phone. Such is the quality of phone cameras these days I have found that my "camera" is now redundant and when I upgrade my phone the quality of the camera is as important as the phone itself. It is also cheaper than a camera

The optics in a phone camera just don't measure up to what you get in a well made camera, even a point and shoot model. A phone's primary purpose and design is to be a phone, not a camera. Even simple pint and shoot cameras will adapt and perform better in different scene and lighting situations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Use you OBC next cruise....our last couple of point and shoots have been thanks to OBC. The X staff are quite knowledgeable and will advise. Let them know what you want your camera to be able to do and they will give you a few options.

Not necessarily much cheaper than buying on line but if you have OBC you are struggling to spend a great way to get rid of it.

I love my LUMIX ...it is small and perfect...My phone is great too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also have a Panasonic Lumix that is great. It also has a GPS feature that records the place that you are at; not just coordinates. I bought it on Amazon for about $99.

I also have a Panasonic Lumix that is great. It also has a GPS feature that records the place that you are at; not just coordinates. I bought it on Amazon for about $99.

I love my Lumix too and it's waterproof - perfect for our Caribbean getaways.

I carry a Canon PowerShot A2500 in my pocket everywhere.

16 MegaPixels

5 X Optical zoom

POINT AND SHOOT that is smaller than my stack of old Sea Passes.

It is about 3 inches by 2 inches by 3/4 of an inch and takes great pictures.

Somewhere in the $115.00 range.

bosco

shot.jpg.3734cc60f51b729c5f41cfb419bf5e00.jpg

Point and shoot cameras are dead. I compared my iphone 7+ photots to my canon sx720. The iphone has a lot more features, photos are sharrper with better colors. I mostly use my nikon D810 for photography but will take out the iphone for a quick photo.

Use you OBC next cruise....our last couple of point and shoots have been thanks to OBC. The X staff are quite knowledgeable and will advise. Let them know what you want your camera to be able to do and they will give you a few options.

Not necessarily much cheaper than buying on line but if you have OBC you are struggling to spend a great way to get rid of it.

Using OBC is a good idea......as long as you understand that it is always a good idea to familiarize yourself thoroughly with the features and functions of a new camera BEFORE you depend on it to save he memories from a vacation. As a retired professional photographer, maybe I am a bit over the top about this, but I would never buy a camer during a trip and depend on it for all my treasured images from the trip I am on.

Using OBC is a good idea......as long as you understand that it is always a good idea to familiarize yourself thoroughly with the features and functions of a new camera BEFORE you depend on it to save he memories from a vacation. As a retired professional photographer, maybe I am a bit over the top about this, but I would never buy a camer during a trip and depend on it for all my treasured images from the trip I am on.

Great post. There are so many features on almost any of the newer digitals that unless you have a "photographic" memory you will miss out on some of the great things they can do.

Before you buy download a manual from a camera you are interested in. Check it out on YouTube.

Before you cruise or use, learn to use ONE feature a day until you know what feature to use to get the most from your camera. Almost all cameras have just about the same basic features so switching from one to another is not difficult.

My 18 MP point and shoot can do a great job and is always around when I don't have my 24 MP in hand.

bosco

I also have a (big) DSLR and like to have a smaller one for destinations where I do not want to flash an expensive camera and lens kit.

I use a Panasonic Lumix TZ-71 as the small alternative and it is great. Zoom, colors, crisp images - very good travel camera.

Thanks for all the responses. I have a lot of research ahead of me.

I agree with some posters that the Camera on my IPhone is pretty good but find it just not as good as a regular camera. I of course have both and find I like the stand alone camera while capturing under many conditions. Example would be using in an outdoor venue, a IPhone is like turning on a flashlight and I am sure annoying to other around.

We are camera people, enjoy using many models, and follow the camera world. The best website for camera reviews is DP Review.

https://www.dpreview.com/

B and H Photo's website has the best model information and specifications. They will price match, free shipping and no sales tax. There's an excellent return policy.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

The CC Camera and Photo threads most often highlight favorites, but I have found that the threads don't have sufficient info for a fully informed buying experience.

We are camera people, enjoy using many models, and follow the camera world. The best website for camera reviews is DP Review.

https://www.dpreview.com/

B and H Photo's website has the best model information and specifications. They will price match, free shipping and no sales tax. There's an excellent return policy.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

The CC Camera and Photo threads most often highlight favorites, but I have found that the threads don't have sufficient info for a fully informed buying experience.

Keep in mind that you are, by admission, "camera people". Many who come here are looking for no more than a signpost in the fog and suggestions of favorites are good for that. B&H has excellent, detailed spec sheets and DP Review does good in-depth reviews (usually on higher-end models, not mid- to low-end compacts) but for non-camera people, much of the information may as well be written in Klingon.

When I go to buy a camera or lens, I will research it in more detail than is really healthy but if I needed a guitar, I would ask a friend what he or she thought was a good one to start with.

Dave