Too American?

hawkeye65

We're going on a European river cruise in June. I thought I might get a pair of zipper pants. You know the type: zip off the bottoms, and they become shorts. My husband said, "They're too American." Now I'm proud of being American, but in these less secure times, I don't want to stick out too badly. Is he right? Should I forego this style?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

So you'll be "too American." What does that matter? I assume your husband is saying that because he thinks by looking "too American" you'll be easy to target as a tourist and get pick pocketed or something. That may be true, but the vast majority of tourists are usually easily identifiable as tourists regardless of what they're wearing. You'll be among other tourists, in tourist locations, likely carrying things that tourists carry, etc. I say wear the pants. They're very versatile, comfortable and functional, and there are plenty of ways to be vigilant and prevent yourself from being a pickpocket target.

On the small, destination-oriented line that I sail on about once a year (usually in the Mediterranean), the majority of passengers are British, with sizeable groups of Australians, Canadians and Americans. Most dress pretty similarly for days ashore -- e.g., a sort of "tailored Columbia/LL Bean" look, if you know what I mean...

The UK has a company much like Columbia called Craghoppers -- I see a lot of their stuff: http://www.us.craghoppers.com/

However, I'm racking my brain and can't recall many people wearing those zip-off pants. I had a couple pair about 10 years ago -- thought I needed them for some trip -- but I found out that 1) I didn't really end up unzipping the pants, and 2) I found the zipper part uncomfortable to sit on. So I didn't get them again.

If you have a pair of light-weight performance pants, do you really need the shorts portion?

I have to agree about the zip off pants being not such a good idea. Great for hiking in the hills when you start off cold, get steadily hotter, then walk into a freezing mist!

The lightweight walking trousers look smarter, especially as you will be stopping in towns and cities, and you can always check the weather before going ashore.

The shorts would be more of a tourist giveaway than anything. Europeans just don't really wear them. Women (and men) are more likely to be in capris, not shorts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe you could find some recent photos of the places you will be visiting? Also check Tripadvisor. You might get a better idea of what passes for typical wear locally. I am from the UK and never wear shorts as they don't suit me! I do wear below the knee length cotton skirts with sandals in hot weather. Nice and cool, covers a multitude of sins and I've never felt out of place or recognisable as a tourist in Europe. Not the case in the US, where I attended a packed air show with temperatures in the high nineties (F) and I was the only woman in a skirt!

I, personally, don't like the zip off pants. I have one pair, but the zipper hits in the top of my knee & is uncomfortable to sit on. Guess I have an item for the donation pile!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Call me old-fashioned but I don't wear shorts when visiting Europe unless I'm in a tourist area. Like I'll wear shorts on Mykonos but never in Athens, no matter how hot it is.

I also don't take sneakers. If you really want to stick out as an American, sneakers will do it. In Europe, sneakers are meant for running and for the gym. Matter of fact, I was just reading about some restaurants in Scotland that won't let you in if you are wearing 'trainers.'

Do a google image search for 'American tourist'. Then search 'European tourist'. It's quite a difference. I'm American myself but I spent a long time living in two of Europe's most popular tourist destinations. If you don't want to stick out, you have to look like you live there!

I don't wear shorts unless I am at a beach resort when I'm outside the US.

Now, I do have zip pants, but I've never zipped them off (except for when I broke my leg hiking in Italy - the zippers came in handy and saved a nice pair of hiking pants). Even in Egypt at 109 degrees, I kept them long. So, I no longer take them on trips unless I am doing hiking.

To me, part of it has to do being respectful and dressing close to the "locals". Sure, you are a tourist, but you do not have to dress like you are going to Disney World when you are going to be in Paris, Florence, Rome, Barcelona...

The style of dress in Europe's cities and towns tends toward sophisticated yet casual. Colors are darker, lots of black and basics. Jeans will be stylish and of a narrow cut. The zip-off pants mentioned by the OP would be best saved for another vacation. Shorts are saved for the beach and only occasionally seen in cities, usually on a 16 year old. You will see slacks, capris, dresses and skirts as "daywear."

I have travel slacks and capris in black and charcoal that will work for almost anything. They are trim, with zip pockets, but definitely not cargo pants or hiking pants. I would encourage you to look at travel clothing by ExOfficio, LLBean, REI, Travelsmith, and Eddie Bauer, occasionally Chico's. There are many good choices.

I also don't take sneakers. If you really want to stick out as an American, sneakers will do it. In Europe, sneakers are meant for running and for the gym.

Here's what I've noticed about sneakers in Europe:

When Americans talk about "sneakers" or "tennis shoes," they usually mean, and wear, big chunky, thick-soled shoes that are literally designed for sports/working out/running, but Americans wear them everywhere on vacation because they're comfortable for walking. I never see Europeans wear this type of shoe as street shoes. What I DO see Europeans wear (usually only the men though) are shoes that are clearly what I'd call a "sneaker" type of shoe but not the chunky ones with thick rubber soles designed for running/sports; they wear trimmer styles that are more fashionable if that makes sense. The casual observer might say "see look- he IS wearing tennis shoes" but it's not really a shoe that would provide support and cushioning for athletic use.

Do a google image search for 'American tourist'. Then search 'European tourist'. It's quite a difference. I'm American myself but I spent a long time living in two of Europe's most popular tourist destinations. If you don't want to stick out, you have to look like you live there!

And yet the truth is that most Americans will still stand out as tourists. They will be in tourist locations, with other tourists and groups, carrying things tourists carry, speaking English, and consulting maps and guidebooks, LOL.

Disregarding whether or not you'll look "too American" (you probably will, if, you are an American tourist on a river cruise) the more important question is whether or not you need a double duty pair of pant/shorts instead of a pair of pants and a pair of shorts, or a skirt or capris. Which river will you be on? Have you checked the average temps for that region in June? It might not be that hot, where you wouldn't necessarily need to expose your legs to cool off. Are you doing arduous activities on your trip? Some do, some don't. For instance - my last trip to Alaska, we spent a week with family who lived there, pre-cruise, and did quite a bit of hiking. So I packed appropriate clothing (and footwear) for that activity. For Europe, I do a lot of walking - but I don't need the same ankle support (even on cobblestones ;-) that I need hiking, so comfortable walking shoes are all I need. I prefer fall & winter, so I tend to bring more items that are water resistant & water proof. I also prefer dresses to pants, in general - and esp in warm weather - so I wouldn't travel with zip off pants in any event. I used to have some but they've been cleaned out of my closet by now (I'm warm blooded and I can start off in shorts when I am hiking and just bear the cool temps until I warm up....Can you? Can you survive with layers on top and not on your legs? I can....)

So - avoid the issue of looking like an American tourist and focus on the kinds of things you'll be doing and the expected climate, and YOUR clothing preferences. If you were zip off pants every day and want to travel with them, have at it. If you are contemplating buying them JUST for this trip, you probably don't need to and can wear another item.....

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I lived in Europe for several years. It's best to blend in, however for what it's worth, we just *looked* American....and that was with buying clothing on the local economy that were conservative. Just be aware of your surroundings and ENJOY the time you are there!