NCL Escape 3/25-4/1 Family Trip Report

cookie*

AAAH-MAY-ZING. This is what I say when people ask how we liked our spring break cruise. I decided to write this report because I read whatever reviews I could find leading up to our trip, but struggled to find many detailed family reports. Plus some of the early reviews I encountered downright terrified me-only 65 % positive rating?! I especially had a difficult sense for how our days would flow with Splash Academy hours cutting off at mealtimes, trying to decide if we should get SDP as a perk, would we need ship based excursions or could we do it on our own? I always keep a journal on our family vacations, so here I am to write an at least somewhat detailed report from a family perspective to help someone else as they plan their NCL Escape cruise!

DD15A7D9-9992-452D-A19B-7168D88C79BC_zpsokyyyn6i.jpg

Backing up a bit, I normally do a lot of research before booking a vacation but I sort of booked this one on a whim. DH and I decided about 2 months before the sail date that we wanted to cruise with our kids DS 9 and DD 5 to celebrate my 40th birthday. I had been on 3 cruises growing up and loved them, but the last was SS Norway in 1993 at the age of 16 and cruising has changed! We also vacationed in St John a few times growing up so I saw this trip as a way to relive childhood memories with my family. Of course cruising with kids the first thing I look up is a Disney cruise...and oh wait, sorry, my eyes popped out of my head and I needed to put them back. What the what?! We have been to Disney World 3 times without breaking the bank, but the Disney cruise prices?! I'm at a loss for words. OK, moving on. Also looked at Oasis of the Seas but a different week and didn't fit as well with our schedule. Looks like a really cool ship...or city...or shopping mall? All three in one? But wait, does it feel like a ship? Maybe I should look at NCL. Hmmm...the Escape...has a water park, waterfront sounds amazing-lots of opportunity to be by the water, and WHAT?! It is less expensive than Oasis AND comes with a drink package and another perk of choice?! SOLD and took the last BF Balcony stateroom available.

Then I found and joined Cruise Critic and started reading the reviews. Oh NO! Only 65% positive rating? I also read reviews for other ships/lines and *gasp* Oasis has a Dream Works parade and characters?! The Escape pool deck is too small and is run amok with chair hogs?! People don't like getting dressed up? I love my summer dresses! What did I DO?! Only two days later I got the email to bid on a Haven suite, learned about Vibe and discovered the spa thermal suite was an extra $200 per person. Do I need those things? I think I need them, but I was happy with my original price and my balcony...but the reports of those crowds! *sigh*

Then I came across JW and Jerome's review and I started to breathe again. Ok, things are going to be Ok, no no, they will be more than Ok because JW says so and he sounds like a fun person and certainly has cruising experience. I also learned my neighbors went on this ship last summer and loved it. Breathing, breathing. They say "What's Haven?" "What's Vibe?" They never even noticed these separate areas. Ok, now I felt ready to put my concerns aside and get the fun planning started!

UBP was a no brainer, but I went back and forth on SDP vs shore excursion credit. When it turned out the St John Beach Escape was for ages 6 plus and then read about many reports of people exploring ports without a ship excursion and saving moola, we dropped the shore excursion credit and switched to dining. At that point there weren't many reservations available, but I was very thankful to have read here somewhere that 2/3 of reservations are held for on board booking.

Up next-pre cruise days and arriving at port

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pre-cruise

Wed-Sat AM

Flew into Fort Lauderdale Wednesday 3/22 and stayed with family. Had fun with mix of eating out/cooking together, going to the beach, and Flamingo Gardens was a big hit. We got in for free using my Chicago Botanic Gardens pass.

B78DEB0C-05B0-4F40-A739-A6848CC60E8A_zpswo3hbrms.jpg

The flamingos were feisty!

1247DFAB-09CD-4312-BCE4-4E8C13A74C9F_zpsgffqs8ex.jpg

Lots of peacocks wandering around.

1CF4D321-189B-4C78-88FF-B18F52131793_zps9lows3a9.jpg

The pelicans were huge and also right up close.

15C73950-5F4F-4B42-B024-6803EC7276C8_zps9kkwh0zz.jpg

Loved these unique trees-looks like something straight out of a Dr Seuss book! Flamingo Gardens is sort of part garden/part zoo. It is small and easy to see everything in a couple hours-it exceeded expectations.

Friday morning we switched over to the Cadillac Courtyard Marriott in Miami Beach to be closer to the port.

93200368-6195-4F66-B151-81B1E1DABAF3_zpswscjk2x4.jpg

It poured rain for our drive in but cleared up once we got to Miami. We used points for the night. We got there around 11AM and a lot of people were trying to check in. This was the same weekend as the Ultra Music Festival so it was a busy Miami weekend. We got several automated calls from NCL about making sure we plan extra time to get to the port. Headed to the beach bar for lunch along with some playing in the sand and swimming.

A4EB49E4-4E92-4538-98DF-98E7F9DB28E6_zpsqvzffrbk.jpg

Weather was iffy but we made the most of it.

BF714FF6-08B3-4401-B3D1-FC5F1C853BD0_zpsoim0hmjo.jpg

The kids didn't want to leave the beach until I found a jelly fish washes to shore-then they decided checking out the room and having a snack might be a good idea.

2E1D7796-18AF-46F4-A378-69DD9563E46A_zpscpw4mnso.jpg

Our room was ready at about 2:30 and we were upgraded to the Ocean Tower with a huge wrap around balcony facing the adult pool and beach. This was a relaxing day-pool/beach/pool/beach and stuck to the hotel restaurant for dinner.

The next morning we packed up, ate some breakfast bars and ordered an XL Uber at about 9 AM and it picked us up at 9:15. We were just too excited to sit around the hotel. The Uber had plenty of room for our luggage and the 4 of us were off to the port! He got us there in about 20 minutes. The cost was $30.40. He helped us with the luggage so we also tipped him. Arriving at 9:35ish we were mostly with people getting off the ship-boy did they look tired!

We were in terminal B and a porter came right to us and double checked our tags and had extra tags if needed. We walked across the street to the port building. Have your passports and paperwork ready because they check that before entering the building. There was a line formed outside the building to the right, but the woman sent us straight inside. I never did figure out what that outside line was about? There were people sitting in chairs, and people lining up in the roped area. We got in line and started the wait. Just before 10 they opened security and the line moved quickly. At the front of the line they direct you to one of about maybe 5 or so stations with a metal detector.

Of course we were stuck behind a couple who possibly had never been through a metal detector, because emptying their pockets was like watching a circus act. "BEEP!!!" The alarm kept going off every time the husband walked through because apparently he just really didn't want to empty his pockets. Something new came out each time. Looked around for a candid camera-were these people for real?!

Finally made it through to the next line to check in, which went very quickly and smoothly. Up the elevator and we were given group 4. Took our picture and asked where we would be boarding and then found seats between the coffee and the boarding doors. They have vending machines in case your kids need munchies like ours did.

More waiting-I would rather be waiting here than in the hotel and hoped that we would be avoiding more lines on board by getting on early. I warned the kids that today would be a day of waiting but that it would pay off later with a smooth trip. I was telling them but sort of reminding myself too. I tried to use the iConcierge app to book our restaurants/shows but only myself and my son were on the app along with the names of 3 strangers. I went back downstairs to investigate and make sure there wasn't a mix up with our account and discovered the app doesn't necessarily work until on board the ship, because the people who had been in our cabin were still linked to the account.

Fancy latitudes people and Haven were called first then Groups 1 & 2. We got up and made our way near the door and then calmly walked with people through the doors when they called Groups 3 & 4 around 11:15. I did not notice anyone running or acting crazy getting on board the ship.

207BC039-1761-433E-BAE8-D717AE0D79E0_zps12suenuz.jpg

The ship looks massive as you approach it to board. Our kids danced their way on board and there we were!

4EF30C30-F447-46B3-8004-53948A00C076_zpsll6ck6wf.jpg

We boarded the ship near the box office and since we weren't rushing to Headliners for Vibe passes we decided to head here first. There was only one person ahead of us and the line started to build after us. We booked Oh What a Night in the Supper Club and discovered some shows we pre-booked were changed. This was nice to know before booking our meals. I forgot to book the Escape Room so we did that later the next day.

Next stop, drinks at the Atrium Bar. They asked what the kids would like and they both had sodas. We didn't have a drink package for them, but we discovered it was standard at every bar or restaurant that when the kids were with us they were offered a drink and it was tied to our plan. I wasn't sure what to expect with this, so it was a wonderful surprise. I had heard stories of NCL nickeling and diming, but we did not have this experience at all-we always felt like the crew really wanted to see people happy and having a good time.

The iConcierge app still wasn't working so we went to Headliners to book our dinners. Perhaps it was busy here earlier with the Vibe rush, but there was no wait at this point, and we booked dinners for each night. Off to Splash Academy to register the kids. We had two families ahead of us in line for Splash and again the line started to build after us. The kids weren't too sure about Splash at first sight, but they ended up loving it here and wanting to come much more often than we expected. After answering some basic questions the kids had their wristbands for the week and we were on our way to lunch.

We had noticed a lot of people wore their suits to the port to go straight to the pool, but we wanted to have a relaxing lunch. By 12:30 we were sitting for lunch in Taste. Savor would have had a better view, but the kids enjoyed watching all the activity with the luggage out the window. The grilled grouper sandwich was amazing and we liked the fish and chips too. For some reason I only have a picture of the nachos appetizer-whoops!

A68E26A7-441E-48A3-8A65-89CA10481E5E_zpse8wrlnec.jpg

We were off to a good start with the food!

Ok, so basically from our boarding number being called to sitting down to lunch was about 1 hour fifteen minutes and we had our shows and dinners booked and the kids signed up for Splash.

Here was our initial schedule for the week:

Day 1 Manhattan Room 6:15

Day 2 @sea 5:30 Teppanyaki, 7:30 Brat Pack

Day 3 @ sea 6:00 Oh What a Night in Supper Club

Day 4 St Thomas-going on our own to St John-hadn't decided but likely either Trunk Bay or Caneel Bay/Honeymoon. Manhattan Room 7:30

Day 5 Tortola-going to Virgin Gorda Baths on our own. 5:30 Cagney's

Day 6 @ sea 6:15 Manhattan Room, 8:00 Family Glow Party

Day 7 Nassau-10:00 Escape Room, 12:20 Blue Lagoon Island ship tour, 7:45 Le Bistro for 2, 10:00 After Midnight

As we walked out of lunch around 1:30 Andre announced that the rooms were ready-yay!! We were ready to drop our heavy carry-on bags. We made our way to our room and saw plenty of others doing the same but when we got to ours it still wasn't ready which was a bummer. I guess we should have worn our suits after all. We dropped off our bags and sat on the waterfront for a few minutes with margaritas from 5 O'Clock Somewhere. Checked back to the room at 2:00ish and it was ready and two of our bags were there.

512B1007-17E9-44AE-826D-488BD59C8838_zpsquc5dudo.jpg

We started unpacking while the kids got their suits on. Unpacking was a breeze because the room has excellent storage! I loved the set up of this room. Our kids were anxious to get to the pool at this point but it was closing at 2:30 due to the Muster Drill. All DD5 could think about was ice cream. DH took her to the waterfront gelato place but it was already closed in preparation for Muster. I had warned the kids that today would be a day of waiting and the feeling of vacation would start after the Muster Drill so I reminded them of this and we continued to unpack while they tested out the bounciness of the beds. What time does Splash open tonight? [emoji6]

We left for our Muster Station in Savor, at 2:50 We sat at a table and the whole thing went pretty quickly. They scan your cards to make sure you attend. We heard from other passengers that some Muster Stations were more hectic than others. Ours went very smoothly and we were quite comfy. Actually, I almost dozed off at one point [emoji15].

We then went straight to the pool with a couple thousand other people for the sail away party. Yikes was it crowded...and LOUD.

86373E0E-1752-4DB3-AA45-49A3178708B2_zpsazzo4bmq.jpg

DS9 was thrilled and having a blast, DD5 was overwhelmed with all the people and she felt cold-the weather was not great.

D1FACA62-3A15-4C6A-AA61-EA671DA5482A_zpsvvttfoml.jpg

It rained on and off and the air felt cool. Ice cream solves most kid problems though and she cheered up with cone in hand and Mama cheered up with a pina colada. The pool bar was a madhouse and that never really changed for the duration and was our least favorite bar on the ship with the weakest drinks. I knew the pool area was going to be crowded and loud but I could not wait to move on from this and try out something else on the ship. The ropes course was closed due to the weather. We went back to the room around 5:30 to quickly shower off and change for dinner. The room had already been turned down and we now had to decide who got the top bunk [emoji849]. As it turned out DD 5 got the top and DS 9 took the bottom and everyone was happy!

The Manhattan Room was lovely. We had no wait to be seated and really enjoyed our meal. We all had prime rib and it was excellent. My favorite prime rib is from Lawry's so I always keep expectations low anywhere else, but we were pleasantly surprised by how good it was here. The Assistant Director approached our table and we had fun chatting with him. He took down our cabin number and he said he wanted to send us something to our room. That sounded fun!

After dinner DS changed into sporty clothes and we brought both kids to Splash Academy. Even though DD5 was close to her 6th bday, she was in the Turtles group-ages 3-5 and our son was in Seals, ages 6-9. The hours the first night were 8-10:30. DD5 was a little nervous but off she went!

We skipped out of there pretty quickly! We started at Tobacco Road and it was great to be able to just talk to each other-can you imagine?

4F8D1443-DEEF-4A50-921F-9ACFE00A475F_zps5opbseoq.jpg

No phones to distract us, our kids were taken care of, and the cocktails were outstanding.

Next we went to Howl at the Moon. AWESOME! The place was packed but shortly after we walked in two people got up and we sat down.

B04102B4-F63D-4745-9313-EC83FDD2F1ED_zpsovsbpqca.jpg

There was a couple really enjoying themselves-dancing, making requests with shots for the piano players-they were embarrassingly hilarious, and it definitely added to the entertainment. Do not miss this show!

We picked the kids up at about 10:15. DS 9 loved it (they played all different ball games) and DD5 said it was OK. I think maybe that first night there might not have been that many kids in her age group. They had a balloon party.

Back at the room we couldn't find a breakfast door hanger so we called housekeeping and they delivered a bunch. Our kids are early risers so we ordered various items to be delivered between 7-7:30 including coffee for 4 because we drink a lot of coffee between the 2 of us!

Looking at the Howl of the Moon picture I remembered there were two women sitting in front of us in the first row who must have been enjoying themselves because how could you not? But they never once cracked a smile! I kept staring at them waiting for them to bust out laughing at the passenger dancing across the stage-but no-very limited response. At that point (how many cocktails later?) I think everything was hilarious [emoji23].

Edited by cookie*

Thanks for following everyone!

Cant wait to hear about your experience with Splash Academy. My son is 9' date=' also. We are sailing in July. He was not a huge fan of the kids' club on Oasis of the Seas, so I am hoping that Escape is better.[/quote']

DS9 loved Splash right away the first night and DD5 was slower to warm up but also ended up begging to go. Our kids LOVED Splash and we were BLOWN away by the Circus performance the kids put on on day 6!

I can't wait to read more! I too loved JW and Jerome's review of the Escape, but am loving your review with a family twist just as much. We have a 7 and 9 year old that will be 8 and 10 when we sail, so I'm really curious about your experience as a family so I know what to expect. I am also a BIG planner when it comes to vacations. Drives my DH a little nuts sometimes, but I need to know everything ahead of time. ;)

Thanks for all the positive feedback!! I'm enjoying reliving our trip through the report. I highly recommend journaling during your trip-I really think it makes the memories stronger!

Day 2 @ sea

Our plan for the day included 12:00 Cruise Critic Meet & Greet 5:30 dinner at Teppanyaki and 7:30 tickets for the Brat Pack.

We all slept really well this first night. We were on the 11th floor near the aft stairs/elevators and never felt too much movement. What movement we did feel must have lulled us to sleep.

A01280FB-A2A6-4EA5-BB37-BA75235C22AF_zpsmtpptlfj.jpg

Coffee delivery came seconds after we woke up. There is nothing like sipping coffee while sitting on your private balcony in your pjs. I had read complaints that the balconies were small but we thought it was plenty comfortable and felt very private. I wonder about the large balconies on decks 8 and 9 or the aft facing balconies-they aren't as private are they? I suppose I could give up the privacy for a lounger though. Our neighbor must have been thrilled with her balcony too because every morning she opened her balcony door and said "Oh my gawwww!" Other than that it was fairly quiet while out on the balcony.

Even the rooms were much more quiet than I imagined. We brought our sound machine from home (you can see it in the picture with the coffee) since we are used to sleeping with one so that may have helped. Hopefully it helped minimize the noise coming from our room as well, because on more than one occasion I am sure I could be heard in my "I'm attempting to sound angry, but not too loud, muffled yelling voice" saying "stop it!" "That's a one...TWO...why do I always have to count?!" "Everyone can HEAR YOU WHINING! And now they hear me YELLING!"[emoji23]I can laugh about it now, but seriously, every time we were in the room-which we made sure wasn't too often-within seconds we heard "What are we supposed to do?" "I'm bored" [emoji849]The TV did not have much of a variety-I should have downloaded some shows or movies onto the iPad. Movies are $9.99 to rent and there was no way we would be in the room long enough to watch a whole movie so that was out-just too ridiculous. Our kids seriously suffered from "there is something going on every minute of every day on the ship so when we get to a quiet room we forget how to just chill" syndrome. I don't know about your kids, but when mine are bored they seem to find the next best entertainment is to bug each other and see who they can make lose it first-mom or dad? Maybe they should make this into an Atrium game show "Who's Going to Lose it First-Mom or Dad?! Bring your best tricks kids!" We learned pretty quickly to minimize their time in the room, but the hours of Splash made this somewhat of a challenge at times.

Here is my tip for Splash-we kept picking the kids up on the early side to be on time and to avoid the pick up line. If pick up was 5, we were there by 4:45/4:50. This was a mistake. The kids always complained that their activity wasn't over yet and they only needed a few seconds to change clothes before dinner and there was still a pick up line anyway. Just let your kids stay all the way up until the pick up time. Whoever takes the longest to get ready (me) should wait in the room and get ready while the other does pick up. I'm sure most people are saying "duh" but I think I was feeling mom guilt in the beginning and wanted to be there together to pick them up. Once I realized they were having a blast I had no trouble waiting in the room for them.

I really did love our room. It was very well designed. There were plenty of outlets. Each side of the bed also had a USB port for your phone cord. The blow dryer is tucked under the vanity table and worked very well. There was so much storage in the room that we found an empty cabinet we hadn't used yet! The closet had plenty of nice wooden hangers on one side and shelves on the other side. We each got our own shelf, and one shelf holds the mini safe. I used the drawer under the sofa for our swim gear and brought a laundry bag from home which helped keep things organized. Our luggage easily fit under the beds. There were two hooks by the front door and two hooks on the bathroom door. This was the first trip where I was able to unpack and then have a place for everything so I could actually find my stuff! This made the room feel much larger than it was. DH kept saying it was very Norwegian-like an IKEA designed room!

Ok, back to the day. We enjoyed coffee and our breakfast snack of fruit and muffins on our balcony. We got dressed (wearing swim suits) and the kids wanted a second breakfast (or maybe we just needed to get them out of the room) so at 8:00 we went to the Garden Cafe for our first time for something other than ice cream. I loved the French toast with the caramel banana sauce. YUM! Like others have reported, go to the back for more space and less people. Plus the aft view is really nice.

0E75B1BE-C174-4E6D-A0D5-FE7DAEA62E9E_zpsdq1cc2km.jpg

We checked out the pool area but the weather was still iffy this morning-sunny but a bit on the cool side and windy. We asked the kids what they wanted to do this morning-did they want the pool or Splash Academy and they both said "Splash Academy!" We had them checked in right at 9:00.

We made a totally unnecessary stop at guest services about a letter that said our daughter needed cash or a credit card for her service charges. They had figured this out on their own by the time we stopped there. Later that day we received the same letter for our son and ignored it because we knew they would figure it out. We also stopped at the box office and booked the Escape Room for Day 7, Nassau day, at 10AM.

9B02E3EF-030C-442B-B0ED-3ADA42D37691_zpsaqpu5fpv.jpg

Off to Spice H2O for us! There was a mix of sun and clouds and a little drizzle but that didn't stop people or us from enjoying this sun deck. We found loungers facing the water and I had a Bloody Mary-delicious. We lounged and used the hot tub and met some nice people. We loved this deck. Very relaxing, nice people, excellent top notch bar service and drinks. Marcos was our favorite bartender here.

Picked up the kids just before noon and went straight to the District Brew House for the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet. This location was fantastic! Live music, passed appetizers, and plenty of beer samples. The people who helped organize this did a tremendous job. We got glow rings, lanyards with our name tags, highlighters and a get to know each other bingo card. Most people seemed to be sitting in their own family groups, but we grabbed a table in the center and tried to meet people as they walked by. The Asst Restaurant Director recognized us from last night and asked if we had gotten chocolate covered strawberries which we had not yet, but he said we would for sure get them tonight. The organizers made some speeches, and JW did a wonderful job introducing the officers and Nancy handed out gifts to them which looked to be very much appreciated. It was such a pleasure to meet everyone. I can't wait to hear how the St Thomas sail went with JW, Jerome, Nancy, Rusty and was it Joanie & Jill? I'm sure that was a blast. Jerome cracked me up-he helped me fill out a lot of that bingo card and I got to give him my very best eye roll [emoji849]when he tried to check off "find someone with grandchildren." Our kids were the youngest ones there but even they had a good time! Definitely go to your cruise Critic Meet and Greet!!! It was a really fun activity for the first sea day!

At about 12:30ish we walked across the hall to Food Republic for lunch. This is such a beautiful restaurant and the food was great.

C391BEA2-696B-4A07-A11B-19457FF8E917_zpsasbgyab0.jpg

I thought we would come back later in the week but we never did so I am glad we went this first sea day! We ordered a couple sushi rolls, pork belly dumplings, and bulgogi tacos. The sushi was good, but not as good as my favorite sushi place back home.

281CA792-6A50-46A1-B931-4552ED018A8C_zpsfvstubvb.jpg

The bulgogi tacos were Ahhh-may-zing! We had Sapporo beer to go with our Asian inspired meal.

After lunch we went to play mini golf. People were in line for the ropes course but it wasn't opening. They had trouble today because of the wind. Some people got on today but I believe most people just ended up waiting in line with no result. We decided then that we would make the ropes course our priority for tomorrow. After mini golf we got some ice cream. There is a choice of soft serve or hand scooped ice cream in the Garden Cafe. We stopped for a drink at the 5 O'Clock somewhere bar and then the kids wanted to go back to Splash so we checked them in around 2:45. Looking back, this would have been a good chance to check out the Deal

Or No Deal game show. We caught some of this later in the week and had no idea how fun it could be.

We walked along the waterfront and people were lounging, well no, actually they were SLEEPING all over the place. It seriously looked like someone must have put a sleeping spell on the Waterfront, because almost every chair was taken with a sleeping person. We joked that they were stowaways-did they not have rooms? Maybe they all had inside staterooms? It just looked really odd! We found an open area of chairs but decided to go sit on our own balcony.

Dinner was at 5:30 at Teppanyaki. We picked up the kids around 4:40, which you already know was too early. DD5 was excited to show us she had made a jelly fish-it reminded her of the one we had found on the beach in Miami. Unfortunately her mood shifted. TMI sorry, but DD5 takes Miralax for regularity and we were having the toughest time getting her to drink it because we normally use grape juice and they didn't have grape juice on the ship. We tried to have her drink something before dinner because we realized she had missed her dose yesterday but this just led to tears. I even tried to reschedule our dinner because I knew she would love it but she needed to cheer up. No luck at rescheduling so we left the room and headed to dinner even though she still had some tears leaking from her sweet big eyes.

To be continued...