Coffee on Norwegian Jade

First time on NCL soon, and wondering what to expect re coffee.

I shall probably visit the atrium bar for an Americano or two, but what can I expect in the buffet?

I was pleasantly surprised by the ground coffee from the machines in the buffet on Celebrity ships, but couldn't touch the stuff on Princess, made from some sort of liquid concentrate, apparently.

I don't drink instant coffee. I shall probably bring a travel kettle for a proper cup of tea, but do I need my cafetiere as well? ( I bring my favourite ground decaffeinated coffee from home to use in it)

Coffee is very subjective. I've always been satisfied by NCL coffee, including that on the Jade.

You will not be allowed to bring aboard your own kettle if it is electric.

If your cabin category is balcony or better, a coffee pot and coffee will be provided in your cabin.

All cabins can have complimentary continental breakfast, including coffee, delivered to their cabin in the morning.

I found the free coffee to be fine. I don't think you'll be able to bring any kettle or coffee machine that generates its own heat. But there's hot water at the buffet, and if you have a balcony room or better there's a coffee maker in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The coffee at the buffet is fresh ground.

Leave your kettle at home. It will cause your bag to be confiscated and you will spend time on embarkation evening and disembarkation day getting your contraband from security.

Hot water is available at all boulder drink stations for tea. We are just off the Jewel and they had esspreso machines in the buffet.

Be careful which machine you use in the buffet - one grinds it for you, the other is granules or similar and tastes different. I didn't find either particularly palatable and stopped drinking it after a day, although I normally have 7-8 cups a day at home so pretty caffeine dependent! The paid for varieties in the atrium were fine, as you'd expect, and the coffee in the restaurants was always fine, including the Blue Lagoon (although now O'Sheehans I believe post-refit).

If you have a favourite coffee then it may well be worth bringing the ground beans and the cafetiere (although not the kettle as remarked above).

Just off the Jade. The coffee from the machines in the buffet is just fine and there are pitchers of half and half and skim and 2% milk available. There is also an espresso machine that makes a French style Cafe Creme. Bring your own metal cup or disposable cups with kids if you like to drink a big mug over time.

Many thanks for all the info. I shall definitely make sure I use the right machine in the buffet! We will have a coffee machine in our balcony cabin, but I'm assuming it will use some sort of ready-bagged-in -filter- paper type ground coffee? Or will it use capsules?

Can we get pastries etc with the paid for coffee at the Atrium bar? Are these complimentary or is there a charge?

Another vote for the machines with the beans on top, which I thought produced a really good (albeit kind smallish, maybe 5-6 ozs) cup of coffee. The regular machine was ok, just a bit weaker. As mentioned, NCL does put out half and half, and not all cruise lines do that.

I don't drink coffee, but my wife survives on it. She said the coffee from the Java Café in the atrium was excellent (Lavazza coffee), but didn't care for the buffet coffee. Seeing this thread now, I assume she must have tried the non-ground coffee from the buffet and not the freshly ground stuff. I'm sure she would've loved for me to have seen this before our trip!

coffee in the buffet is sorta real strong and not so good, at rear of buffet right near the fresh juice bar, ( where they make fresh juices of all kind ) the coffee is real good though, also real good in the main dining room,:cool: at rear of ship at great outdoors, it is sorta same as the buffet ...........

The coffee at the buffet is fresh ground.

Leave your kettle at home. It will cause your bag to be confiscated and you will spend time on embarkation evening and disembarkation day getting your contraband from security.

Hot water is available at all boulder drink stations for tea. We are just off the Jewel and they had esspreso machines in the buffet.

Would you happen to know if NCL allows us to bring travel steamers ? To help with wrinkled clothes ?

Many thanks for all the info. I shall definitely make sure I use the right machine in the buffet! We will have a coffee machine in our balcony cabin, but I'm assuming it will use some sort of ready-bagged-in -filter- paper type ground coffee? Or will it use capsules?

Can we get pastries etc with the paid for coffee at the Atrium bar? Are these complimentary or is there a charge?

If things haven't changed with the refurb, it will be a 4-cup mini coffee pot with those packets of coffee that you can just set in the basket, no filter needed.

BUT, you can also bring regular round (not cone) coffee filters that fit a 4-cup pot, and a bag of ground coffee. This is what we did last year on the Jade. It was nice to be able to make good coffee whenever we wanted, but on port days we did just order the free coffee from room service.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on our return from the Jade.

The bean buffet coffee was definitely better than the ground stuff, but neither as good as the stuff I brought from home!

Wasn't that keen on the Atrium coffee bar offering either, especially as no accompanying cakes or pastries to go with it, apart from macarons at $2 each!

I took my stainless steel cafetiere with my own favourite brand of ground coffee to the buffet, and filled it from the hot water dispensers ( using clean cups, I hasten to add!) worked a treat.