2 Bedroom Family Suite Question

AF-1

Hi, I am looking at this suite on Jewel for inside passage to Alaska. There will be four of us. Two teens and my wife and I. Question. does this suite have two separate bedrooms and two separate bathrooms? Thanks. also, it looks like they are located midship. I am not looking for Haven family suite. Thanks

On the Gem which has the same set up as the Jewel it is a separate bedroom. The second bedroom is small and so is the closet space and bathroom. It is a good size for teens. It would be a little small for two adults, IMHO.

Here is a fairly short video found on youtube for Jewel 2 bedroom family suite 11024

We've stayed in this category stateroom on both the Dawn and the Pearl courtesy of upsells. There were only two of us in the stateroom. We had friends cruising on the Dawn in an inside stateroom and it was great to have the larger suite living room area for visiting. The second bedroom is small and the closet in that room is very small but for smaller children or teens it should work fine. You can share some of your closet space if necessary.

For fun here is Chesneygirl's youtube video of stateroom 11020 on the Dawn. Not exactly the same but very similar and video is very detailed. I watched it dozens of times while deciding if I wanted to do upsell from our aft facing balcony:) I didn't regret the decision.

Doesn't apply in your case but for two couples traveling together I'd either switch beds half way through or divide the cost less than 50/50. The main bedroom and bathroom is wonderful, the second bedroom / bathroom is adequate.

Thank you everyone for the comments and feedback. From the pictures I have seen the second bedroom is small. The kids or the teens will sleep in there. As some of you who've been to Alaska know; its port intensive. We wanted a two bedroom so we could have the kids with us verses having two separate cabins.

In the second smaller bedroom there is a couch that can be made into a queen bed and then a Pullman bed from the wall. It works like a bunk bed. We had all 3 of our kids in that room when we sailed on the Jewel in 2013. There is a very small bathroom with shower in that room too. It was perfect for the kids. You will have no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are booked in a 2 bedroom Family Suite in November on the Jewel. I am so glad to hear the 2nd bedroom is big enough for 2 teens. We are putting our 16 and 13 year old daughters in there. I am betting our 13 year old will want the bunk and our 16 year old will want the pull out couch. The concierge told me to order the egg crate foam for the lower bed to make it softer so we did.

I haven't been able to see exactly how small the closet is in there but notice people keep saying it is small. I hope it is large enough for two teen girls? Are there any drawers to put clothes in?

Thanks!

Sue

:)

My DH and I have booked the Gem's 2-bedroom family suite (non-Haven) several times, with 2 other adults as guests. We once gave the master bedroom & bath to my sister & brother-in-law, while we stayed in the "children's" inside bedroom. On the Gem, the non-Haven 2-bedroom suites are on deck 11. We always chose a forward cabin, nearer the bridge. The only downside, for me, in choosing the 2-bedroom is that the balcony is smaller than other suites, to make room for the fabulous master bathroom.

As mentioned in previous posts, the inside bedroom has very little storage--maybe room for 5-6 hangers, plus a couple of shallow drawers. But the master bedroom & bathroom have lots of storage, so it won't be a problem sharing. We did, however, bring an over-the-door shoe holder for the 2nd bedroom and used it to store underwear, hair brush, small evening purse, gym clothes, etc. We stored our shoes under the pull-out bed.

NOTE: Before you cruise, contact the pre-cruise concierge desk and request that the 2nd bedroom have a foam topper for the mattress. Otherwise, that bed is very hard! We or our guests in there just kept the bed opened for the entire cruise. One downside is that the couch opens sideways into a bed, so if 2 people are sleeping on it, whomever sleeps nearest the wall has to crawl over the outside person to get out. There is a ladder to access the pull-down bunk.

If you like it dark when you sleep, you'll love the inside bedroom & bath (no windows). But if you're like us and appreciate a bit of light during the night, you can either leave the bathroom light on but door closed, or bring a battery-operated candle. We do the latter, and it provides just enough light to see but not too much to keep us awake.

The master bathroom in the 2-bedrooms is the nicest on the ship! Floor to ceiling glass walls in the shower, and tub to ceiling windows overlook the sea. I usually just take showers, but in this master bathroom, I make time for a good soak on sea days, gazing out over the ocean (bath salts are provided). Bliss.

The living room is a bit small for a suite. We pushed the coffee table against the wall opposite the couch, so we had a clear path to the balcony doors.

We'll be sailing in the 2-bedroom again next July, on the Jade from Hamburg, and again sharing it with friends from Copenhagen. Overall, when sailing as a group of 4, the 2-bedroom is less expensive than an owner's suite. So we're happy:)

Patricia

Here are some photos of the closet in the 2nd bedroom. These happen to be from the Dawn but it was the same or very similar on the Pearl.

Here are some photos of 2nd bedroom closet. These photos are from the Dawn.

7c3486dc-d52d-4b87-87a6-af7ffa7cecf9_zpszdlokkmp.jpg

upper shelf

bc3fb634-eb27-4892-b157-1266f8e7d1ab_zpso7lho8a0.jpg

small area to left of drawer unit

202ab515-85d1-432c-90d7-ddb000463ddb_zpspnnjpmyq.jpg

Edited by kjquilts

Here is a screen shot from drag it decks side of cruise deck plans website of deck 11 (where the 2 bedroom suites are located) and deck 12 above them. The two bedrooms are colored green on the deck plan.

d4f1e32b-4fec-43ce-91a4-3e3e06af5c72_zps6mpzjaec.png

We were in 11012 on the Pearl 8 day cruise to Alaska this May and were blessed with wonderful weather and smooth seas. We had a similar location but one deck higher on a Pacific Coastal a few years ago with really rough seas for a day or two and the room (and ship) were really rocking and rolling. Meclizine HCL (generic Bonine) is my friend so no ill effects and I am very prone to sea sickness.

Here is link to the website

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/dragdeck.php?ship=Norwegian-Jewel&zoom=1

Thank you for all the tips and feedback on this suite. The smaller bedroom does look small in the youtube video. I have two teens who would be staying there; 17/14. Brother and sister. They are 5'11" and 5'8" respectively.

So here is my next question. We are looking at Emerald Princess 2 bedroom family suite verses NCL Jewel 2 bedroom family suite. Same itinerary; inside passage roundtrip out of Seattle.

NCL: $2,000 more than Princess

NCL: included; beverage and drink package, prepaid gratuities, free specialty dining, free wifi. (wife and I don't drink and kids are underage)

Princess: $2,000 less; $800 OBC

Which one is more tempting?

Edited by AF-1

So here is my next question. We are looking at Emerald Princess 2 bedroom family suite verses NCL Jewel 2 bedroom family suite. Same itinerary; inside passage roundtrip out of Seattle.

NCL: $2,000 more than Princess

NCL: included; beverage and drink package, prepaid gratuities, free specialty dining, free wifi. (wife and I don't drink and kids are underage)

Princess: $2,000 less; $800 OBC

Which one is more tempting?

Princess

Thanks for the thread! There are 6 of us doing the 2 bedroom suite on the Dawn next year...sort of...my DS, DIL, adult DD, myself and my 2 and 4 year old granddaughters. DS & DIL will have the master suite, Gramma gets the living room couch, and Auntie and the girls get the 2nd bedroom. Good to know egg crates are a must & will request them. I do have some back issues so would it be ok to ask for two egg rates for the couch?

We've traveled together before - although not with the little ones and know being on top of each other isn't a problem. As for closet space, we live out of suitcases so that's fine. And thanks for the links, kjquilts - my DIL has never been on a cruise and after seeing the clips she's extremely excited. (So's my son who has only traveled in insides but he won't admit it! ;-D )

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app