NCL stock down on mixed earnings results.

ColinIllinois

Looks like Europe is the weak link for profits due to the weak pound and North Americans staying away according to the articles I've read this morning. Here is one of many articles:

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13669165/1/norwegian-cruise-nclh-stock-drops-on-q2-revenue-profit-forecast.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

Looks like the continual squeezing of customers is having an impact on the bottom line......and not in a good way. I think there is a list somewhere of about 20 changes over the past year or so, all of which go towards the target of another $50 of revenue per person. Listen NCL, your customer-unfriendly strategy isn't working. You are the Ryanair of the Seas......actually Ryanair mended their ways recently.

As far as the UK customer is concerned, given a choice of cruiselines with similar ships and similar destinations (Med/Baltic etc), why would they fly to Venice Rome or Barcelona when they can drive or get the train to Southampton.

Finally, again for UK bookings, NCL have trashed the last minute booking market by only offering Free at Sea for bookings make more than a month or two in advance. Great idea in theory, unless you're sailing half empty, in which case recognise it's not worked and change tack.

Looks like the continual squeezing of customers is having an impact on the bottom line......and not in a good way. I think there is a list somewhere of about 20 changes over the past year or so, all of which go towards the target of another $50 of revenue per person. Listen NCL, your customer-unfriendly strategy isn't working. You are the Ryanair of the Seas......actually Ryanair mended their ways recently.

As far as the UK customer is concerned, given a choice of cruiselines with similar ships and similar destinations (Med/Baltic etc), why would they fly to Venice Rome or Barcelona when they can drive or get the train to Southampton.

Finally, again for UK bookings, NCL have trashed the last minute booking market by only offering Free at Sea for bookings make more than a month or two in advance. Great idea in theory, unless you're sailing half empty, in which case recognise it's not worked and change tack.

Yep! Here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...2373703&page=3

As far as getting an extra $50 out of us.......it's not happening. We've already decided we're not spending an extra penny on this cruise. DH always gets in on poker tournaments, but he said he wasn't going to this cruise. We're both really fed up with all the changes since we booked this cruise over a year ago.

The quarter runs from April 1-June 30. Breexit vote on 6/23. Must have been an exceptionally bad week to account for the quarter loss. Europe sailings are selling out and selling quite high without those deep discounts I've seen in years past. NCL was one of the first lines to drop Turkey so while other lines who kept Turkey dropped prices to rock bottom, NCL was able to sell at prices more than double and triple the others.

The quarter runs from April 1-June 30. Breexit vote on 6/23. Must have been an exceptionally bad week to account for the quarter loss. Europe sailings are selling out and selling quite high without those deep discounts I've seen in years past. NCL was one of the first lines to drop Turkey so while other lines who kept Turkey dropped prices to rock bottom, NCL was able to sell at prices more than double and triple the others.

Unequivocally false statement.

7 night RT Barcelona Aug/Sept low price quote (via Expedia):

RCI Harmony OTS. $1,879

Costa Diadema $747

Disney Magic $1,205

NCL Epic $679

HAL Eurodam $799

MSC Fantasia $748

It's gotta be the water.:p

Unequivocally false statement.

7 night RT Barcelona Aug/Sept low price quote (via Expedia):

RCI Harmony OTS. $1,879

Costa Diadema $747

Disney Magic $1,205

NCL Epic $679

HAL Eurodam $799

MSC Fantasia $748

It's gotta be the water.:p

I've been following prices all year and I can tell you the prices are holding strong. I just did an Expedia search and there is no $679 price for this year on the epic.

On board spending may be way down but overall, the sailings are selling quite high compared to last year. A couple of spirit sailings were reduced pretty low but the Jade has been selling out at inside prices higher than any of the competition most sailings.

Edited by littlelulu01

One customer's opinion who just got off the Breakaway Bermuda 7/31-8/7 and who's last cruise before that was The Epic Feb 2013:

Man the prices have changed...A LOT. The cruise itself was 5.2k (2 adults 1 child) when the 2013 one was $3800 (both peak fares).

The specialty dining went from a flat fee to ala carte. $8 in cagney's for a tiny shrimp cocktail (they used to be giant, now they are tiny) that they were giving away for free in the Atrium the next night, that one sticks out.

Man the drink prices...WOW. $11 for a Bloody Mary when they used to be $6.50. Yes there is a drink package but my wife doesn't drink so its not worth it for us, but I kept my drinking to a minimum because of these new prices. I couldn't believe that they were charging NYC bar prices now.

So I'm not saying any of this has to do with their stock price but I am certainly looking into different cruise lines for our next trip, when before I considered myself NCL for life. I've always felt RC was more expensive but they appear to be in parity now.

I've been following prices all year and I can tell you the prices are holding strong. I just did an Expedia search and there is no $679 price for this year on the epic.

My bad. That was a September 2017 price. $899 for 2016. :o

Point is, NCL is not getting a 2x or 3x premium.

Yep! Here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...2373703&page=3

As far as getting an extra $50 out of us.......it's not happening. We've already decided we're not spending an extra penny on this cruise. DH always gets in on poker tournaments, but he said he wasn't going to this cruise. We're both really fed up with all the changes since we booked this cruise over a year ago.

Ditto all the way. We dumped two NCL cruises and have rebooked with Celebrity and cant wait, got better prices and perks that WE wanted not the 50 photo crap that NCL wanted us to take nor the shore excursion credit where you a re forced to pay twice the price as of ship excursions.

We would cancel Hawaii as well if they weren't the only house in town doing that itinerary.

Travel stocks are down across the board today. This is not isolated to NCL but the lower earnings definitely play a factor. The stock drop has less to do with NCL and more to do with the British/EU economy and terror fears.

Actually the press release makes for some interesting reading if you are an investor. Your Average Joe won't like what Mr. DelRio says about his efforts to "minimize discounting".

http://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=983595

Analysts have NCLH rated from a "buy" to "strong buy". I'm holding for now.

Edited by ColinIllinois

Actually the press release makes for some interesting reading if you are an investor. Your Average Joe won't like what Mr. DelRio says about his efforts to "minimize discounting".

http://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=983595

Analysts have NCLH rated from a "buy" to "strong buy". I'm holding for now.

His message is consistent, he has been talking about minimizing discounting since he took over.

Got something from my stock broker a couple of weeks ago stating that because of the uncertainty of the European financial markets ( more than just the United Kingdom leaving the European Union), all of the tourist related industries may have difficult days ahead.

His message is consistent, he has been talking about minimizing discounting since he took over.

The most disturbing thing to me is that NCLH has reported profits but they are not returning any dividends to the shareholders. I won't buy a stock that operates that way.

our go to market strategy to minimize discounting and maintain our hard-fought pricing gains, resulting in lower occupancy, which in turn lowered onboard revenue and overall Net Yield growth

So, the strategy led to lower occupancy and lowered onboard revenue. Give the guy a payrise.

Google shows NCLH down 9.30% and CCL down 2.53% right now. That is quite a difference.

Another noticable factor is NCLH trading volume is more than double the average.

Unless I'm mistaken, NCLH released their earnings report this morning, CCL did not do that today.