Cruising this weekend & I'm disappointed :(

SportsMomof4

Please help me feel better about this.

DH & I are taking a MUCH needed getaway (1st since we were married 11 years ago) Friday am on the Sky. Of course....Fiona is heading right to the Bahamas!!

With only a 3 day cruise just to the Bahamas...is there even a possibility of re-routing?

I hate to jump the gun, but we have been so looking forward to this. I want to know if there is a back up plan or if we are just out of luck. So disappointed....this is just MY luck :(

I'm not sure if anyone can make you feel better about this. NCL and the Captain of the ship will do everything in their power to ensure passenger safety and comfortable sailing conditions. This obviously could include re-routing to other ports or even just sailing around in circles in the ocean.

That's the hazard of sailing during storm season. Keep an eye on NCL.com. They do a good job of posting last minute itinerary changes on the front page.

Hope it works out for you and your fellow passengers.

Relax! Cruises are NEVER cancelled. They may change itineraries. They may cruise in circles. Your original ship may burn to the waterline and a scow hastily provisioned to replace it (happened to my Dad year's ago in Greece.) But cruises are NEVER cancelled. So you will be on a cruise ship and therefore you will have a wonderful time. And no one sitting at home reading this will feel sorry for you. Have a great time! :D

I would not be worried about Fiona...she is weakening and is not expected to be a threat. However, there are two more storms brewing, Gaston and Hermine. They could effect Bermuda and the Bahamas by the weekend.

Look on the bright side, you will still be on a cruise ship away from work!

I actually love severe weather so it would be an adventure for me.

Relax! Cruises are NEVER cancelled. They may change itineraries. They may cruise in circles. Your original ship may burn to the waterline and a scow hastily provisioned to replace it (happened to my Dad year's ago in Greece.) But cruises are NEVER cancelled. So you will be on a cruise ship and therefore you will have a wonderful time. And no one sitting at home reading this will feel sorry for you. Have a great time!

Not to be pedantic, but it would be accurate to state cruises are very rarely cancelled. To say they NEVER are is not correct. Cruise have been cancelled outright due to a variety of reasons including weather.

Having said that OP, odds are very much in your favor that your cruise will be a "go".

I am not familiar with the Sky's itinerary, but if you are leaving from the NYC area and there are several tropical waves and storms in the Atlantic between you and your southern ports, you may want to throw in a sweatshirt and long pants for possibly cooler New England/Canadian weather.

Such an itinerary change has been known to happen this time of year.

But cruises are NEVER cancelled. So you will be on a cruise ship and therefore you will have a wonderful time. And no one sitting at home reading this will feel sorry for you.
I do feel sorry for people whose cruises are disrupted by extreme weather, and they end up sailing in circles or docked somewhere for days. I don't think they are necessarily having a wonderful time, and I think many would consider this worse than a cancellation. It's in the cruise line's interest to avoid cancelling cruises due to bad weather; that's why they are rarely cancelled.

I do feel sorry for people whose cruises are disrupted by extreme weather, and they end up sailing in circles or docked somewhere for days. I don't think they are necessarily having a wonderful time, and I think many would consider this worse than a cancellation. It's in the cruise line's interest to avoid cancelling cruises due to bad weather; that's why they are rarely cancelled.

Yep that was my Mexico cruise.... Mexico was 'closed' due to Swine Flu so we did several days of big circles in the sea. It wasn't a bad cruise, I don't mind sea days at all. It was really quite relaxing!

Please help me feel better about this.

DH & I are taking a MUCH needed getaway (1st since we were married 11 years ago) Friday am on the Sky. Of course....Fiona is heading right to the Bahamas!!

With only a 3 day cruise just to the Bahamas...is there even a possibility of re-routing?

I hate to jump the gun, but we have been so looking forward to this. I want to know if there is a back up plan or if we are just out of luck. So disappointed....this is just MY luck :(

you may be safer at sea than on land to be honest and yes, the ship will do all possible to avoid any unnecessary problems. Relax, generally these storms do not turn out to be as bad a predicted and there is nothing we can do about it anyway.

If you weren't planning to get off the ship anyway, then it doesn't really matter where it goes! :) This is a time when a cruise is better than flying to a land resort- much more flexibility with an itinerary if it's needed. One of my absolute best memories of a cruise was sailing out of Miami on the Sky just as a massive storm hit- all kinds of lightning and sky was so dark all the downtown lights came on even though it was 4:00pm in June. We sat outside at the Great Outdoors and watched the show as we sailed away. It was beautiful, dramatic, cozy and perfect.

We took the Sky in April and it stormed, we missed GSC and still had a really great time! Anytime on a cruise is better than time on land! :-)

I had the same experience in a Thanksgiving weekend cruise a couple of years ago. I had a blast, got over 20,000 steps on my fitbit and took advantage of the spa special for the day.