Coffeemaker in balcony rooms

JimnSuzie

As BirdTravels says, it varies by ship. If you really want your kcups, you can buy a manual machine (we have the Cafejo for kcups, but there are others). The one we have works quite well with the hot water from any coffee machine or electric kettle which you may be able to get for your room-esp. if the ship does European routes.

We have plenty of room for boxes of kcups where the bottled cokes used to go.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

On the smaller ships we've always had a Mr. Coffee type 4 cup machine. Coffee is provided. However, for those I bring some 4 cup filters and my own coffee. On the Getaway class, the machines have be one cup types with provided pods of coffee...but not K cups.

Good question...we are on the Getaway in November...a friend who sailed her in June said there was a coffee maker in his room...balcony and that he thought k cups would work in the machine? Hoping that is true...DH likes certain k cups...and it would be easy to throw a few in the suitcase...what type of cup would a different machine use?

Good question...we are on the Getaway in November...a friend who sailed her in June said there was a coffee maker in his room...balcony and that he thought k cups would work in the machine? Hoping that is true...DH likes certain k cups...and it would be easy to throw a few in the suitcase...what type of cup would a different machine use?

The *Away ships get a single serve coffee/hot water maker by Hamilton Beach - https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-49970-Personal-Brewer/dp/B003GW873G/ref=pd_sim_79_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TK3TVQT3Y875JSHP4ARR

Coffee & pod/filters also available - but, RS onboard will supply yours like you have a strong preference on BYO

The FAQ - thread on NCL Coffee http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2193674&highlight=coffee+maker

It's a small ceramic cup that NCL provide, bring a 10 oz. cup as that will fit, not sure if the typical 12 oz. will - might or might not.

The *Away ships get a single serve coffee/hot water maker by Hamilton Beach - https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-49970-Personal-Brewer/dp/B003GW873G/ref=pd_sim_79_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TK3TVQT3Y875JSHP4ARR

Coffee & pod/filters also available - but, RS onboard will supply yours like you have a strong preference on BYO

The FAQ - thread on NCL Coffee http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2193674&highlight=coffee+maker

It's a small ceramic cup that NCL provide, bring a 10 oz. cup as that will fit, not sure if the typical 12 oz. will - might or might not.

Thanks..good info!

I'm pretty serious about my coffee too. I also bring travel coffee cup that I fill up on occasion from the ships buffet area. Sometimes I pack creamers I like and a tin of ground coffee from home with some small filters I trim with my scissors. Like I said coffee freak would be closer to my description...

NCL cruises

2012 Pearl

2014 Dawn Forums

Thanks for all the helpful info. We are on the Breakaway. I looked at pics and now I see that it does not look like you can use Kcups. Probably a four cupper. I may bring filters and coffee as well.

It's not a four cupper. It's a single serve coffee maker. It makes one cup from each "pod". It is very small. I don't know if filters and loose coffee would work very well...

Edited by dreamr

We are on the Breakaway ... I may bring filters and coffee as well.
You most definitely cannot and will not be using Kcups and it is also NOT a 4 cup drip style. For the BA's balcony staterooms (OV & Inside can request one via your helpful Room Steward, and they usually obliged once they have time after the busy turnaround day). It is exactly as shown above already - the Hamilton Beach 1-cup/single serve, up to 12 oz. if you bring your own mug.

Click this pix linked - it's the setup on the Breakaway & Getaway, unless of course, things have changed with but often without notice and/or anyone posted here on CC.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_2141%20%281024x768%29.jpg

It used the flat filter pod and Amazon has the filters - so, you can use your bring special blend or brand, whether it's from SB, DD or other custom grounds. These were the brand supplied by NCL on the BA during our cruise.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/IMG150521_2006.jpg

Yes, as a matter of convenience & choice, up to now, you are permitted bring your own. ;) ... hasn't been banned yet.

I'm pretty serious about my coffee too. I also bring travel coffee cup that I fill up on occasion from the ships buffet area. Sometimes I pack creamers I like and a tin of ground coffee from home with some small filters I trim with my scissors. Like I said coffee freak would be closer to my description...

Our road/travel kit, adapted for cruising ...

IMG_20160825_1657231_zpsdqwagjma.jpg

Edited by mking8288

You most definitely cannot and will not be using Kcups and it is also NOT a 4 cup drip style. For the BA's balcony staterooms (OV & Inside can request one via your helpful Room Steward, and they usually obliged once they have time after the busy turnaround day). It is exactly as shown above already - the Hamilton Beach 1-cup/single serve, up to 12 oz. if you bring your own mug.

Click this pix linked - it's the setup on the Breakaway & Getaway, unless of course, things have changed with but often without notice and/or anyone posted here on CC.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_2141%20%281024x768%29.jpg

It used the flat filter pod and Amazon has the filters - so, you can use your bring special blend or brand, whether it's from SB, DD or other custom grounds. These were the brand supplied by NCL on the BA during our cruise.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/IMG150521_2006.jpg

Yes, as a matter of convenience & choice, up to now, you are permitted bring your own. ;) ... hasn't been banned yet.

Our road/travel kit, adapted for cruising ...

IMG_20160825_1657231_zpsdqwagjma.jpg

Wow lol nice setup. :)

Is the drip coffee on ships worse than pod coffee? Wonder how I find out which coffee maker is on my ship.

The Jewel.Thanks

It's a matter of personal taste & preference, both are - IMO- weak - we are used to a strong brew ... French-Vietnamese filter drip, served over ice, black or with condensed milk.

Compared still unfavorably with McD's improved coffee these days; and, definitely worst than those served at DD or BK chain store, or the hyped Starbucks brown coffee water, nice aroma but that's about all.

The mega-ships, it seemed (BA, GA, Escape & even ... I believe, Epic) are using the space saving HB 1-cup style. Older ships in the fleet are using the 4 cup although I remember getting a hot water kettle & packets of instant coffee & tea bags for the setup, along with creamer & sugar also on the smaller ship - long ago, however.

Best way to find out, check with someone that recently sailed the Jewel & ask, as they can give you the paricular that's "current".

Hmmm maybe it won't matter to me. I am a bit of a coffee snob. But I only drink one per day. An Americano . But usually 3-4 shots of good espresso. And then some would say spoil it with cream and sugar. :)

Maybe I'll try their drip. And if need be just fork out for a better cup, specialty coffee. I would expect they serve good beans.

Thanks for the thread link.

No matter what you use to make coffee in your cabin, do not use water directly from the sink! The chlorine is overwhelming and makes even the best coffee taste horrible. Run the water the night before and let it sit to dissipate the chlorine. I tried every coffee I could find, even the "secret special" grind and brew in the buffet on the Gem. On about day 3 I gave up and went to the atrium cafe every morning for an iced 3 shot espresso. I am on vacation and want to enjoy what I like. The prices aren't too bad and it is worth it.

Hmmm maybe it won't matter to me. I am a bit of a coffee snob. But I only drink one per day. An Americano . But usually 3-4 shots of good espresso. And then some would say spoil it with cream and sugar. :)

Maybe I'll try their drip. And if need be just fork out for a better cup, specialty coffee. I would expect they serve good beans.

The Jewel class ships have had, maybe still, an expresso machine through the back of the Garden Cafe before you go through the doors to the Great Outdoors.

The Jewel class ships have had, maybe still, an expresso machine through the back of the Garden Cafe before you go through the doors to the Great Outdoors.

That is the grind and brew machine. It dribbles out a bit of coffee slightly better than the other buffet machines, but it is still kind of blah. It was in the last set of coffee machines before the doors to the Great Outdoors on the Gem.

Is the drip coffee on ships worse than pod coffee?

Wonder how I find out which coffee maker is on my ship.

The Jewel.

Thanks

It's been s while, but when we were in a balcony on the Jewel, there was just s kettle/hot pot to heat water.

It's been s while, but when we were in a balcony on the Jewel, there was just s kettle/hot pot to heat water.

Sometimes the coffee makers gets swapped out for guests that don't drink coffee. If you don't have a coffee maker, ask your room steward and he/she should be able to find you one.