Knossos or Paestos?

can0711

For Crete, I'm going there by cruise and docking in Heraklion, we have a full day.

What would you suggest, Knossos or Paestos? I think both are historic site, but what are the difference? Which one is better?

Thanks.

Knossos and Phaestos are both interesting Minoan sites. A lot depends on how you like your archaeological sites to look.

Knossos is very "restored" with many walls and columns rebuilt and repainted in some cases, including reproductions of frescoes that were found on site. (The originals are in the archaeological museum in Heraklion and quite a few of those have also been restored with a heavy hand.) You can visualize various rooms of the palace easily. But the restorations were undertaken at a time when archaeology was in its infancy, and the restorer of Knossos, Sir Arthur Evans, used his own interpretation of how he thought things SHOULD look a bit too liberally. This isn't just my opinion, it's widely acknowledged by modern archaeologists.

So if you go to Knossos, you will see a more vivid representation of Minoan culture, but perhaps not an entirely accurate one...

Phaestos, on the other hand, is not nearly as restored as Knossos. If you go to Phaestos, I would recommend that you pull together some information about the site before you go, including a map of the various sections of the palace that shows the individual rooms. There's a little signage on site, but it helps to have a map in your hands. Without a good grounding in archaeology or some descriptive notes (or a guide) it may be difficult to make out what you're seeing.

Googling photos of the two sites will readily show the big difference between these two sites. The other factor is that Knossos is much nearer to Heraklion. If you go there, you would also have time to visit the superb treasures in the archaeological museum there.

P.S. Forgot to add that Knossos is usually swamped with busloads of tourists. Phaestos is much, much less crowded.

Edited by cruisemom42

How is the heraklion arch. museum? How many hours would you suggest to visit there?

Is there anything to see in crete city other than the museum?

The museum isn't huge. Depending on your interest level I'd say you could plan to spend 1-2 hours.

I didn't find much else in Heraklion that was worth recommending, honestly.

I would go to Knossos first thing in the morning (take a taxi from the ship, it's not that far) to be there when it opens and avoid some of the crowds. On site at Knossos there is a very good bookshop with maps/guides of the site and other interesting information on the history. It's in a small kiosk near the entrance.

After seeing the site, go back to Heraklion (bus or taxi) and have lunch, then visit the Archaeological Museum.

We booked a private tour with GreeceTravel.com. Saw the sites mentioned above as well as some not so touristy sites. Enjoyed a wine tour as well as stopping for a traditional Greek lunch. The owner's (Lefty) was our guide and she was wonderful. It was one of the highlights of our trip. We all loved every minute of it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app