Brisbane advice

Hi

I will be on Sun Princess in September, round trip from Brisbane

......really looking forward to seeing PNG, Solomons and Vanuatu :)

I have a bit of a problem deciding what to do on the day I get back to Brisbane though :o

Much as I would have loved to stay a few days, work commitments make that impossible so I am flying home that evening at 9pm

....which leaves the day to fill in some way

Now, in an ideal world Princess will do a debark tour that drops off at the airport - but, I can't seem to find any information about that.

So, another thought I had was a day room at the airport Novotel - but then, 8 hours in a hotel room isn't that appealing, so would I be able to get a taxi from the hotel to anywhere close by?

I would love to go to Lone Pine koala sanctuary - and see there is a lovely boat tour there and back, but that is from central Brisbane and would I be able to get there in time from the ship and what about the luggage? :confused:

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received, thanks :D

You would need to store your luggage somewhere, then get to Bretts wharf near Portside terminal and get a ferry ride into the city. I'm not sure where the Lone Pine boat is based and which days it operates, perhaps others can help you there .

If you did choose to stay at the Novotel, there is a large outlet shopping centre nearby, where you can waste a few hours.

Unfortunately there is no debark cruise offered in Brisbane.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Edited by Kinkacruiser

Ok if you get off as early as possible take a taxi into Roma St Transit Centre. They have luggage storage facilities there. The transit centre is in the middle of the city and a lot of tours depart from there. You could even go to Australia zoo from there, or wander around the CBD and Mall, or go to Southbank which is a man made lagoon in the city centre ( google it) you can swim, they have a 3D cinema, pub, restaurants, shops and if it's a weekend they have a market.

Whatever you end up doing, return to the transit centre collect your luggage and get a train direct to the airport. The earlier you get off the more options you have, even lone pine is an option. Because you are flying out so late dreamworld and movie world are also possibilities. There is public transport from the transit centre to these tourist attractions.

The luggage storage lockers are no longer available at the Roma Street Transit Centre 'for safety reasons'. My suggestion is to hire a car from Budget (they are only a couple of hundred metres from Portside Cruise Terminal). With your luggage locked inside you can go to Lone Pine or wherever else you want to. You might be able to drop the car at the airport instead of returning it to the depot near Portside.

This is what I would do, it's similar to what we did in London a couple of years ago after travelling on the overnight train from Inverness and flying out to Sydney in the evening.

Book a day room at the Airport Novotel.

Go from the port to there to check in and leave your bags in your room.

Catch the airport train into the city, or get a taxi to Bretts wharf if you'd rather travel in by ferry.

Do whatever sightseeing you want to do.

Catch the train back to the Novotel with plenty of time to have a bit of a rest, maybe a shower, and maybe a light meal or snack before checking in for your flight.

Hi

I will be on Sun Princess in September, round trip from Brisbane

......really looking forward to seeing PNG, Solomons and Vanuatu :)

I have a bit of a problem deciding what to do on the day I get back to Brisbane though :o

Much as I would have loved to stay a few days, work commitments make that impossible so I am flying home that evening at 9pm

....which leaves the day to fill in some way

Now, in an ideal world Princess will do a debark tour that drops off at the airport - but, I can't seem to find any information about that.

So, another thought I had was a day room at the airport Novotel - but then, 8 hours in a hotel room isn't that appealing, so would I be able to get a taxi from the hotel to anywhere close by?

I would love to go to Lone Pine koala sanctuary - and see there is a lovely boat tour there and back, but that is from central Brisbane and would I be able to get there in time from the ship and what about the luggage? :confused:

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received, thanks :D

You could always leave your luggage at the airport and pick it up before the flight.

http://www.baggagestorage.com.au/index.php/store-locator/37-store-location-country-aus-nz/store-locations-data-australia-qld/98-brisbane-international-airport-t1#

It's not that far from the Portside Wharf at Hamilton to the International Terminal. You could take a taxi or a shuttle.

http://www.australianexplorer.com/experiences/EX1635/profile.htm

If you want to see Lone Pine:

"The Mirimar boat cruise departs from the Cultural Centre Pontoon at 10:00am daily.(Located on the boardwalk outside of the State Library) The cruise takes approximately one hour & 15 mins, arriving at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary at around 11:15 am and departing again for the city at 1:45pm."

The State Library is not far from the South Brisbane train station.

If you are looking for something a bit different you could try a St Helena Island day trip.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

You could always leave your luggage at the airport and pick it up before the flight.

http://www.baggagestorage.com.au/index.php/store-locator/37-store-location-country-aus-nz/store-locations-data-australia-qld/98-brisbane-international-airport-t1#

It's not that far from the Portside Wharf at Hamilton to the International Terminal. You could take a taxi or a shuttle.

http://www.australianexplorer.com/experiences/EX1635/profile.htm

If you want to see Lone Pine:

"The Mirimar boat cruise departs from the Cultural Centre Pontoon at 10:00am daily.(Located on the boardwalk outside of the State Library) The cruise takes approximately one hour & 15 mins, arriving at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary at around 11:15 am and departing again for the city at 1:45pm."

The State Library is not far from the South Brisbane train station.

If you are looking for something a bit different you could try a St Helena Island day trip.

It is cheaper in Brisbane to take a taxi to the airport rather than the shuttle. The taxi will cost virtually the same as the cost for one person in the Princess shuttle.

I don't think there would be time to go to the airport, and leave the luggage, then go by taxi to the city to catch a 10am boat trip. To maximise use of the available time, I think it would be better to go to Lone Pine either by taxi or hire car.:)

Thank you to everyone for their replies :)

I have decided to book the Novotel and spend my day between there and the shopping mall :D

....then a swim and shower before my long flight home :rolleyes:

I will manage to see koalas and kangaroos on my day in Sydney instead - I have booked a ticket for wildlife Sydney online :)