Cunard Webcams

bluemarble

Here are bridge webcam images for the Cunard fleet from what I consider to be the best currently available original source of these images. They are taken from their locations on the Cunard website prior to its recent redesign. The bridge webcam images found on the redesigned Cunard website have not proven to be as reliable as these images either in terms of their availability or their update frequency.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Queen Mary 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Queen Victoria . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Queen Elizabeth . . . . . . . . . . . . .

qm2.jpgqv1.jpgqel.jpg

For comparison, here are links to the various "Our Ships" pages on the redesigned Cunard web site where each of the bridge webcam images can be found via a "VIEW WEBCAM" link. These pages also provide additional information including the ship's location and the current time at that location.

QM2: http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/

QV: http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-victoria/

QE: http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-elizabeth/

Here is a quote from the previous "Cunard Webcams" Sticky providing a link to another excellent source for viewing these Cunard bridge webcam images.

I built a page which still uses the old site pics here. I bet after time they go away, and only the new ones will work, but we will see.

http://millerpics.smugmug.com/WebCams-1/InUseCams/Cunard/23023661_tvPdJN

I share the same concern that these bridge webcam images may go away eventually. But at least for now, they do appear to be better alternatives to those presented on the Cunard website.

Hi Bluemarble. I clicked on the links you provided, but it brought me to cunard.com :confused:

QE webcam currently shows the ship docked, while the adjacent text box states that the ship is currently at sea. (Yes, I know that the website does not reflect where the ship is, nor is the ships webcam reliable. - Just indicating another example of same)

Edited by Salacia

Hi Bluemarble. I clicked on the links you provided, but it brought me to cunard.com :confused:

QE webcam currently shows the ship docked, while the adjacent text box states that the ship is currently at sea.

That is correct. My intention in providing the links was to direct you to the actual pages on cunard.com where the current versions of the webcam images can be found on the Cunard website. This is so you can compare them to the webcam images posted in this thread and also obtain further details on the ships' locations. In my experience, the webcam images posted in this thread are more reliable and often more up-to-date than those found on the Cunard website, but you can judge for yourself by following the links provided to cunard.com.

You have also noticed what has been mentioned in other threads about how the webcam pages found on the Cunard website can present misleading information about the ships' locations. Those pages do not provide live information about each ship's location, but instead show where the ship is scheduled to be for the day based on the current UTC date. This leads to non-sequiturs such as you mentioned, where a webcam page on the Cunard website will list a ship as being in port while the webcam image itself shows the ship is actually at sea or vice versa.

As I am composing this reply, the QE webcam image shown on the Cunard website is actually a stale image from this morning, shortly after the QE arrived in Los Angeles. This illustrates my point about the webcam images on the Cunard website being unreliable. The QE is actually at sea but you would never know that by looking at that stale QE webcam image from this morning found on cunard.com.

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

• 3 weeks later...
The bridge webcam images found on the redesigned Cunard website have not proven to be as reliable as these images either in terms of their availability or their update frequency.

The "unreliability" is only a browser problem. Just clear the cache of your browser and you will see the actual image (if available at all).

You can also bookmark the direct link to the image itself. If it does not refresh automatically, you may refresh by your browser's refreshing command.

Cunard could avoid this by using a reliable refresh function in the picture window, but they don't or it is surpressed by security settings in your browser - as well as in mine.

The "unreliability" is only a browser problem. Just clear the cache of your browser and you will see the actual image (if available at all).

You can also bookmark the direct link to the image itself. If it does not refresh automatically, you may refresh by your browser's refreshing command.

Cunard could avoid this by using a reliable refresh function in the picture window, but they don't or it is surpressed by security settings in your browser - as well as in mine.

Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree that the unreliability of the current bridge webcam images found on the "Our Ships" pages of the Cunard web site is only a browser problem.

Case in point is what I am currently seeing for the QM2 bridge webcam. The URL for the image on the QM2's "Our Ships" page is

"http://images.cunard.com/webimage/ext/OnBoardNowLarge/www.cunard.com/webcams/qm2.jpg"

After viewing and refreshing this image successfully for several minutes in Internet Explorer, this is the current image I now retrieve from that location as I am composing this reply.

qm2-imagescunardcom.jpg

No matter how many times I try to refresh this image using either f5 or Ctrl-f5 within Internet Explorer, the image does not change. The status bar says "Waiting for http://images.cunard.com..." for about 40-45 seconds before giving up.

Now, when I try to retrieve the image from this "images.cunard.com" URL using Safari, I just get a blank page.

When I try to retrieve the image from this URL using Chrome, I get this message

No data received

Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.

When I try to retrieve the image from this URL using Firefox, I get this message.

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

On the other hand, the alternative bridge webcam image, which I refer to in post #1 of this thread is working perfectly. The URL for that image is

"http://www.cunard.com/webcams/qm2.jpg"

Here is the image I retrieved from this "www.cunard.com" URL showing the correct webcam image for the QM2 as the sun has recently set in her current location.

qm2-wwwcunardcom.jpg

I am able to retrieve and refresh this image in whatever browser I choose and I usually get a fresh image once every minute.

Please note these issues are very much hit-or-miss. For example, the bridge webcam image for the Queen Victoria appears to be working fine at the moment.

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,I am an avid and frequently frustrated watcher of Web Cams.The technical talk by previous people I cannot comment on as it went straight over my head.

What I also struggle to understand is,somtimes,like today,if you go on the Cunard site it shows camera unavailable due to lack of satelite strength but Sea Scanner shows an image ?.

Cunard also state the Queen Elizabeth is not at present on a cruise.

She is in fact in Kerkya Greece.

Have you also noticed that the Atlantic Ocean,as seen through the Queen Mary 2,web cam is allways a lovely blue colour.

By the by I no longer even bother to try and view P and O as they are allmost allways showing the wrong image.

Anorak away now.

Rodger.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, I have moved the page of the old webcams I had above to the new page;

http://www.larrysvacationwebcams.com/misc/CunardCruise.php

It uses the old sources.

If you notice, the new url has the old url as part of the string. My bet is they are using the new url to reduce the number of refresh requests against the actual image.

Other lines....

http://www.larrysvacationwebcams.com/WC/CruiseShipMenu.php

Still don't understand why the cruise lines haven't realized the value of more and better quality webcams as part of the sales process. Works for me!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

We seem to have another anomaly going on at the moment (this one rather humorous) with the Queen Victoria webcam images. Here is the webcam image I am seeing now for the Queen Victoria at the top of this page using the link that goes directly to "www.cunard.com/webcams".

qv-webcam-actual.jpg

This looks correct to me since Queen Victoria is docked in Venice as I am posting this reply.

On the other hand, here is the Queen Victoria webcam image I retrieved from the "Our Ships" Queen Victoria page on the Cunard website itself.

qv-webcam-posted.jpg

Odd. Not sure how long it has been this way.

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

The Cunard web site is now showing the correct image for the Queen Victoria webcam. I suppose I caught someone adjusting the camera with the image I posted above, and as is often the case, the webcam image posted on the web site was lagging quite a bit behind the current image.

Regards,

John.