Rome 15th August

neverland1

If you only have a day I wouldn't. We just had 24 hours there before our cruise and it was mad. I tried to do far too much in that time and the heat was oppressive. If we did a cruise from Rome again I'd stay in the port overnight and wouldn't bother with Rome. We've marked Rome as a place to visit in its own right. Just not s day trip place IMHO

Hi there,

Not to burst your bubble, but you will, unfortunately, be in Rome on the worst possible day to be there.

August 15 is the middle of the "Ferragosto" vacation period. Many shops and restaurants will be on vacation, and the few that are open will be overwhelmed with German and French tourists who also travel this week.

Secondly, it is a Roman Catholic Holyday, the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Mother, so the Vatican Museums will be closed and there will probably be limited access into St. Peters and the other major churches.

If you have the choice to go somewhere else, and see Rome at another time, I would suggest you do so. Rome is too wonderful of a city to go and be disappointed.