Tea and coffee

Sailaway25

It must vary by ship but I can't remember it happening to me (My RCI is mostly Grandeur out of Baltimore). I usually do give my cabin and dining stewards extra, but if subjected to that would have second thoughts. It's really unprofessional.

Roy

Ships I've travelled on in the last 2 years have been Independence, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Explorer, Adventure, Oasis....and I've received these extra WOW envelopes on every one. I have never been on Grandeur...maybe it hasn't been instituted yet...but I'm surprised that it hasn't.

I've given extra as well, and have gone to Guest Services to get envelopes because I prepay the gratuities. But no more...they're brought to my cabin for me now, LOL

This extra tipping has been extensively 'discussed' on the main Royal Caribbean board too.

The explanation Royal Caribbean's website gives for gratuity envelopes placed in cabins is as follows:

"Q: What if I'm totally WOW'ed and want to provide special recognition for a crew member?

A: Feel free to recognize crew members who make your voyage exceptionally memorable. You can visit the Guest Services desk to increase the amount of your gratuities or reward a crew member with an additional cash gratuity at your discretion. Gratuity envelopes will be available in your stateroom. You’ll find a comment card there, too—another way you can provide feedback and recognition for wow-worthy crew members." - copied from http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5530

Apparently, the auto-tip is discretionary in that passengers can modify and/or request the charge be removed. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5527

I have no experience of Royal Caribbean, but doesn't their tipping policy as stated on their website seems to be in-line with general industry standards? I do understand these changes are somewhat recent and therefore might seem odd to past passengers.

Salacia

Until recently, if one chose My Time Dining, then one had to prepay all gratuities and therefore could not have them removed for any reason.

Yes, their tipping policy is in line with industry standards, except for this extra tipping that is being pushed upon the guests. Alot of people give extra tips...but at their discretion...not in the two or three provided envelopes on the second last evening of the cruise. I believe alot of folks simply hand cash to their chosen recipients. The extra tip envelopes are not for the regular tips...those are added to your ship account daily....so you pay the regular tips day-by-day.

In the Spa, and at bars...the cost of the service provided includes the gratuity...and then there's a line for an extra gratuity....so a $10 drink becomes $11.80 and there's a line for an extra tip if you feel like it. An 18% gratuity is alot to start with....and who's going to put .20 cents on the extra tip line to make it a 20% tip?

If the waiter, spa person, bar tender, whoever....jumped through hoops to retrieve my lost purse/medication/money from the port city 20 minutes before sailing...of course an extra tip is warranted...but to pour some wine into a glass after a 10 minutes wait doesn't justify an extra tipping situation in my books.

The wording of the tipping policy sort of glosses over this Extra tipping situation. It is personal choice whether to tip extra or not. It's hard not to keep hearing about it for 3 days....:o

Until recently, if one chose My Time Dining, then one had to prepay all gratuities and therefore could not have them removed for any reason.

Yes, their tipping policy is in line with industry standards, except for this extra tipping that is being pushed upon the guests. Alot of people give extra tips...but at their discretion...not in the two or three provided envelopes on the second last evening of the cruise. I believe alot of folks simply hand cash to their chosen recipients. The extra tip envelopes are not for the regular tips...those are added to your ship account daily....so you pay the regular tips day-by-day.

In the Spa, and at bars...the cost of the service provided includes the gratuity...and then there's a line for an extra gratuity....so a $10 drink becomes $11.80 and there's a line for an extra tip if you feel like it. An 18% gratuity is alot to start with....and who's going to put .20 cents on the extra tip line to make it a 20% tip?

If the waiter, spa person, bar tender, whoever....jumped through hoops to retrieve my lost purse/medication/money from the port city 20 minutes before sailing...of course an extra tip is warranted...but to pour some wine into a glass after a 10 minutes wait doesn't justify an extra tipping situation in my books.

The wording of the tipping policy sort of glosses over this Extra tipping situation. It is personal choice whether to tip extra or not. It's hard not to keep hearing about it for 3 days....:o

My policy for extra tipping bartenders is simple: if they give me an extra pour I give them an extra tip.:)

I have been on RCI and Cunard and I seem to be one of THOSE Americans that throws tips at people for very little extra service. I tend to collect the envelopes that arrive at the suite with information, invitations, or other contents especially if the have my name on them and then use those envelopes to address them to staff that I think deserve an extra tip.

On RCI those envelopes for WOW members of the crew were in my cabin neatly arranged on the desk when I arrived on board !! And I use them to give extra to the waiter or cabin steward. I don't think I have ever even talked to a M'D on a RCI ship. I usually give a favorite bar waiter an extra cash amount on a bill near the end of the voyage. Especially if they know what Anisette is and can get if for me as an after dinner drink.

I have been on RCI and Cunard and I seem to be one of THOSE Americans that throws tips at people for very little extra service. I tend to collect the envelopes that arrive at the suite with information, invitations, or other contents especially if the have my name on them and then use those envelopes to address them to staff that I think deserve an extra tip.

On RCI those envelopes for WOW members of the crew were in my cabin neatly arranged on the desk when I arrived on board !! And I use them to give extra to the waiter or cabin steward. I don't think I have ever even talked to a M'D on a RCI ship. I usually give a favorite bar waiter an extra cash amount on a bill near the end of the voyage. Especially if they know what Anisette is and can get if for me as an after dinner drink.

And that's great that you enjoy giving recognition to those who make your cruise an extra special memory. They'll love you forever.

That's funny that the envelopes are there right at the start of your voyage. I wonder if 'they' keep track of your tipping habits and know that you tip extra throughout the cruise?

I am an American, my DH is originally from France but has become an American many years ago, 40+ in the USA. We cruise Princess, Holland America and Cunard primarily now. We always leave the auto tip on and tip over above that if our service is excellent. We are very neat but demanding passengers so generally do give the room steward extra. We do room service every morning for breakfast, sometimes lunch too so we tip extra daily to those who respond, since daily different folks deliver to our cabin. If service was not good we would not tip extra. Do feel we get better service from room service by tipping. In the MDR, my DH generally special orders off menu, so that is another reason we tip extra. Americans maybe more generous but that is the way we are and we don't feel guilty about it. We may be more demanding as well. Any rate tipping is a personal thing, to each his/her own. Happy cruising.

I think that restriction is about people bringing their own kettles, several lines provide kettles in cabins on ships sailing from Southampton and other British ports.

Despite the "restriction" we always take our kettle with us (it is completely tested). It is just more convenient when you want a hot drink to make it yourself - even take ground coffee and filter.

Despite the "restriction" we always take our kettle with us (it is completely tested). It is just more convenient when you want a hot drink to make it yourself - even take ground coffee and filter.

I'm glad to hear this, as I intend to take my kettle on my forthcoming cruise. I have bought a new one specifically for this cruise, as my old one(which I've been taking on holiday for about 15 years) probably wouldn't meet safety standards. If I wake up in the middle of the night, which I often do, and want to sit on my balcony with a cup of tea I don't want somebody bringing it to me and knocking on the door waking up my hubby.

I wonder why they just don't put tiny microwaves in the rooms for safely heating up water? (If this is a silly response forgive me - my first cruise ever in my life will be next week :) )

A self catering cruise!! surely Michael O'Leary must have thought of that.

Not at all. But they do make microwaves not much larger than a cup of tea and designed specifically for the purpose of heating beverages. They are safer and more energy efficient than an electric kettle. Since several in the thread mentioned liking to have some tea without the bother of waiting for room service it occurred to me that this might be an elegant solution to that issue.

I'm glad to hear this, as I intend to take my kettle on my forthcoming cruise. I have bought a new one specifically for this cruise, as my old one(which I've been taking on holiday for about 15 years) probably wouldn't meet safety standards. If I wake up in the middle of the night, which I often do, and want to sit on my balcony with a cup of tea I don't want somebody bringing it to me and knocking on the door waking up my hubby.

I'm just a little concerned about the safety issue in general. It's possible that people from different countries could have non-compatible-voltage kettles that could cause a fire - the only thing that occasionally concerns me about being on a ship. I'd not considered that kettles, which draw a lot of power, are being used by fellow passengers. Some may not be as careful as you about the age and condition of personal electrical appliances. I'm a bit nervous about electrical fires as we had one at our French holiday home recently - a new and unpleasant experience, but at least on dry land!

This is true. I know a lot of women who take their own hairdryers as they don't like the ones onboard, and plenty use hair straighteners. A couple of years ago, at home, my own hairdryer blew up on me with a loud noise and a smell of burning.

• 4 weeks later...

A 15 year old kettle on a cruise ship! Oh my goodness! That someone would even consider taking such an old appliance on a cruise ship for 15 years is unbelievable!

There is a REASON cruise lines don't allow electrical items like kettles - safety, fires etc.

It seems pretty selfish to break these rules.

Am surprised that the sound of a 15 year old kettle boiling, and the subsequent noise of tea making don't wake your husband, not to mention the possible danger to yourself of boiling water in the dark and pouring it into a cup or teapot as presumably you aren't able to put the light on in case it wakes your husband.

Would think the gentle knocking on a door by a steward would be quieter and infinitely safer than trying to make tea in the dark! Safer for the rest of the passengers, too!

Edited by ellie1145

A 15 year old kettle on a cruise ship! Oh my goodness! That someone would even consider taking such an old appliance on a cruise ship for 15 years is unbelievable!

There is a REASON cruise lines don't allow electrical items like kettles - safety, fires etc.

It seems pretty selfish to break these rules.

Am surprised that the sound of a 15 year old kettle boiling, and the subsequent noise of tea making don't wake your husband, not to mention the possible danger to yourself of boiling water in the dark and pouring it into a cup or teapot as presumably you aren't able to put the light on in case it wakes your husband.

Would think the gentle knocking on a door by a steward would be quieter and infinitely safer than trying to make tea in the dark! Safer for the rest of the passengers, too!

Perhaps you should read the post again!!

The problem with tipping is that by doing so we allow the employers to continue to exploit the staff. The employers are also exploiting us the customers. We all pay enough for our cruises, staff should be sufficiently paid so they are not dependent on our tips.Service and quality standards have slipped in recent years, sooooooooooo much greediness.

My DH was a merchant marine for many years and as chief electrician was never involved in anything that would earn him a tip. However, he is aware of the long and hard hours put in by every member of the service staff and we both feel a little extra tip from us makes everyone enjoy the trip and time together just a bit more. These mostly younger folks give up their life on land for months at a time to earn money they could not get at home. They are aware tipping is optional. We as guests also know the deal when we board. Not unlike going out to dinner, if you can not afford the meal and the tip you should not go. If you feel your cruise fare is enough then make that decision and stick with it and do not let anyone make you feel small. Those of us who enjoy tipping will continue and please do not try to make us feel small for doing so.

Would you be shocked and surprised when your local merchant charged you a sales tax if that was the rule? No, you expect it and you should expect the mandatory tipping. Would it be better to include it all in one price and give the money as a salary? That is another huge discussion.

Goodness i better start saving up, a i have a cup of tea hourly!

Typically, we only order room service once a day (breakfast of coffee). I am a very early riser but my husband is not. We don't order breakfast until 9 so I will just scoot up to the Kings Court and bring back coffee to have in bed. Thankfully, he isn't a light sleeper either, lol

Really there is no need to do all that ...Slopping it on the lift carpets etc lol :D not to mention removing mugs from the buffet area ;) ( .It's all very well for our rich American cousins who delight in splashing out on $3 here and $5 there ... there is no need for that) ..a US $ or a £ coin will suffice for a tea tray.

I have to disagree with our friend 'naveybankerteacher' ,the original posting relates to 'Cunard Line'. Auto gratuities (if left in place ) covers 'all aspects' of the white star service. That's why Cunard don't put kettles in the staterooms.

Just pick up the phone and enjoy :)

I am not rich but if you order room service, tipping is the right thing to do.

My policy for extra tipping bartenders is simple: if they give me an extra pour I give them an extra tip.:)

I have never seen this happen on Cunard. We just spent 16 nights on the QM2 and went to the Chart Room every evening for a pre-dinner drink or 2. Even though we did tip extra, there was never an extra pour, they are required to measure. :mad: