Organising special event "surprises"

JuniorCruisers

Hi all,

My partner and I are sailing on QV next month; on embarkation day I'm popping the question and am hoping to arrange some minor "surprises" in our stateroom (and perhaps over dinner) - something more than the usual cake-flowers fare Cunard offer in their "Little Luxuries" packages.

Does anyone know of the correct person to talk to about this, preferably by email, as I have discussed it over the phone at the call centre but they were less than enthused. The suggestion was that I call back later to make my requests with the operator, but I would prefer to talk to someone personally involved at length at both our leisure so we can bounce ideas off each other, etc. Has anyone had personal experience of arranging similar things and any advice on how next to proceed?

Thank you for your assistance.

I don't have any experience but good luck with this.

Does the proposal have to happen on embarkation day ? If you gave yourself a few days you would have more chance to discuss your plans with someone in person and on your Med cruise you are bound to have a choice of romantic locations.

Don't even think of bothering with Shoreside ! This sort of arrangement can be made once you are on onboard. As Hattie says, does it have to be on embarkation day. Embarkation day is quite a busy day for all concerned , why not wait until day two, which is usually the first of the formal evenings. ?

On day one, make an appointment with the 'Customer Service manager' ( former title 'Purser guest services' ) He/She has the experience of arranging events for guest's onboard and will have some ideas to make your occasion special.

I wouldn't bother dealing with shoreside personnel ,no wonder they were less than enthused, most probably you will end up dealing with a P&O/Cunard agent who has had no experience of such events, half of those at Carnival House UK have never had the opportunity to make a Cunard ship's visit.

Good Luck:)

Just a thought .....Why not make a booking for day two, (the evening at sea) for a romantic dinner in the 'Verandah Restaurant'.

This is the sort of 'Onboard Venue to pop the question'. (make the booking first thing on the morning of day two and at the same time pre order a nice bottle of Fizz.

Things like flowers, chocolate covered strawberries, and cakes etc, on arrival in the cabin are a bit passé and not much of an occasion when you are surrounded with half unpacked luggage and trying to make the boat drill on time ;)

Yes, has to be done on the ship but even there Cunard operates via "special deals" and would find it difficult to arrange anything different.

I think you need to have some idea of what sort of surprise you would like then discuss if it is possible. Certainly embarkation day would not be the day to do it though.

Quick thought, have a word with the photographers who usually love anything like this. They may be able to help.

David.

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies and advice, just one thing I should have made clear originally... the proposal is NOT happening on the ship, that will be occurring earlier in the day in Rome. The voyage will be something of a way to celebrate the engagement, I suppose, and thus upon entering our stateroom for the first time I wanted my partner to be further surprised by some romantic décor and so on... but I digress.

My further thanks for your rather detailed information, Bell Boy. I will have to look into it further on the ship. Having read of others' success in arranging similar surprises on the QM2 over the past few years (and those not even being passengers!) I thought there may have been some easier way to contact the necessary staff but sadly not. Anyway, it will still be a lovely time no matter what.

How exciting and romantic:)!!!!!

My husband and I will also be on that cruise! We are flying into Rome a couple days before to do the tourist thing. We are celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary.

You should book a couples massage!!!\

Rachel and Matthew

p.s Our pugs name is Spartacus, hence our username

How exciting and romantic:)!!!!!

My husband and I will also be on that cruise! We are flying into Rome a couple days before to do the tourist thing. We are celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary.

You should book a couples massage!!!\

Rachel and Matthew

Thank you! We are also flying in to Rome a couple of days early; it is also my partner's birthday on the 3rd so even more reason to celebrate!

We're going to decide what to do on the ship next week. No doubt we will be ashore most of the day in each port but will look for things to fill the (sadly few) sea days.

Have you decided what excursions you are doing at the different ports?

My husband and I are going to be pre-booking most of them in the next week. Mainly so that we can beat the line ups and get a good deal!

We have decided on most but not all. We will also be booking everything in the next week-or-so. Most of our tours will be on or own and not with Cunard as we've found some quite interesting/exciting things to do in port not offered as part of the ship's tours, which suit us better. Which excursions are you looking at doing?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

My partner and I are sailing on QV next month; on embarkation day I'm popping the question and am hoping to arrange some minor "surprises" in our stateroom (and perhaps over dinner) - something more than the usual cake-flowers fare Cunard offer in their "Little Luxuries" packages.

Let me know if you learn anything regarding "surpises". We are celebrating a 40th birthday and figured I would inquire on ship. Have a great cruise, our is in August!:)

Since Matthew and I will be in Rome a couple days early, we bought an OMNIA pass for three days - beat the line for The Vatican and some other places as well as free transit (bus, train, and subway).

In Barcelona we are going to book a skip the line for the Cathedral as well as the FC Barcelona stadium!

In La Spezia we are interested in doing a day trip to Florence but haven't planned it out yet!

We're on the same cruise; what a romantic ship it will be!

See someone about your plans asap and maybe have a quiet word with the maitre'd on the first day...you never know.

I once had a birthday cake and waiters at my table...until I pointed out that they needed the person with the banners and balloons over their table:D

(they sang "happy birthday" to me anyway).