Vegemite/Marmite

mw8811

Are either of these available on board at Breakfast? I do not eat jams, jellies or anything sweet and really don't want to eat dry toast! If the answer is no I will take my own.

Thanks

Mary

Only Marmite was available on our 2014 TA on Prinsendam - much to the dismay of our Australian table mates who missed their Vegemite. I have since sampled both - and am awed at the levels of preference displayed by the fans of either of these products: extraordinary, simply extraordinary.

Having lived on the western side of the Atlantic for over 30 years I appreciate your comments I never met anyone from the US who likes either product! I was actually brought up on marmite from a small child - this has probably colored my view towards anything sweet or sugary as I almost never eat cakes, desserts etc etc. Now we have returned to this country I am finding it increasingly difficult to find vegemite (my preference).

However I am happy to hear marmite is available on Cunard (even if it is served in a dish LOL)

Thanks

Mary

Please explain these items? I have never heard of either.

They are "spreads" - made from some sort of yeast compound with the color and consistency of heavy, industrial lubricating grease. The taste, however, defies any description which I could put into words. If you come across either in the buffet you probably should try a little on toast or a cracker: part of the learning experience offered by cruising.

The fact that a number of Britishers and Australians actually go out of their ways to find them is dramatic evidence that, while they speak English (with their own fascinating ways of pronouncing), they are basicly truly very different from North Americans.

They are "spreads" - made from some sort of yeast compound with the color and consistency of heavy, industrial lubricating grease. The taste, however, defies any description which I could put into words. If you come across either in the buffet you probably should try a little on toast or a cracker: part of the learning experience offered by cruising.

The fact that a number of Britishers and Australians actually go out of their ways to find them is dramatic evidence that, while they speak English (with their own fascinating ways of pronouncing), they are basicly truly very different from North Americans.

That's actually not a bad description. But Vegemite tastes better than that POMMIE imposter.

As an American, I love the Vegemite. Never tried it until I went to Australia, it seemed popular with the locals, so I gave it a spin. Had a great experience while deployed to the Middle East centered around Vegemite. I kept a jar in my stateroom and put it on my morning toast. During that time, I was working with a large group of allied ships, including an Australian frigate. One of their officers was aboard overnight and at breakfast jokingly asked if we had any Vegemite. When I tossed him the jar, his jaw hit the floor. By that time, there wasn't much left in the jar, but I told him to take all he wanted. He promised me that he would try to send me a replacement. I thanked him and didn't think any more about it. A few weeks later we were with another Australian frigate and they had sent a small boat alongside to transfer personnel and some material. I got called to the boat deck and there sat an industrial sized carton of Vegemite jars that lasted me the rest of my tour on the ship and I am sure is still stashed in the wardroom pantry some place!!

Wow that opened a barrel of worms LOL

I actually prefer Vegemite and stocked up on four jars today as there only appears to be one grocery store round here that sells it and even then it's difficult to find - hidden in an obscure corner!

Mary

Wow that opened a barrel of worms LOL

I actually prefer Vegemite and stocked up on four jars today as there only appears to be one grocery store round here that sells it and even then it's difficult to find - hidden in an obscure corner!

Mary

A barrel ? Never mind a can !!

So I have looked up Vegemite on Amazon just to see what this was.

Seems they have FREE shipping and Marmite came up too.

States it comes from Australia. They actually have travel packets available to take with you on trips just in case you have a craving. Comes in various jar sizes also but seems kind of expensive compared to peanut butter or jelly for toast in the morning.

I am not actually going to buy any. Sounds more like an acquired taste. Like taking a daily tablespoon of Cod Liver Oil.

And as a quick afterthought, after looking up Vegemite it now appears in advertising on many of the other web pages I look at.

Yeah, Amazon will do that. All it takes one look at an item and you'll be reminded about it for days.