Bringing food onboard on NCL

tancool02

Hi,

We contacted NCL to ask if they serve halal food, and they don't, but we still REALLY want to go on this 12 night Med. cruise on Aug.15,2013. So I was wondering if we could bring food onboard from some ports like in Rome (in a thermos or something) and eat it on the ship.

Thanks!

Most ships permit food to be brought aboard.

NO SHIPS permit cooking devices.

Do not think it clever or wise to bring any source of heat. The risk of fire is huge and the most feared of all events on a ship.

It is out of the question to bring a hot plate, heating coil, or any other cooking device. Someone may think themselves responsible and careful and no way they will start a fire but perhaps the wiring cannot handle the watts you are drawing, maybe the cord is not in good condition, maybe you get distracted and look away too long.....

My understanding of halal diet provides for many fresh ingredients that are readily available on the ship without special attention or request. You can find enough to keep you fed and sustained and all the wonderful breads, fresh fruits and veggies should be enjoyable for you.

I'm not "fluent" with all dietary laws, but NCL will prepare Kosher. If dietary requirements for Halal are commensurate to Kosher, ask for Kosher.

DD is friend's with a guy whose father is high ranking in a Muslim country embassy. The son was told 'to eat where the Jews eat'

NCL won't have a kosher kitchen. The kosher food will be frozen, heated up and served to the table with the seal intact. It should be served with disposible utensils.

OP--On most lines you can bring snacks but you will not be able to bring on Halal meat. (you didn't ask but someone will) If you bring on a meal you will not be able to heat it up.

Vegetarian is always an option.

Some halal restaurants in Rome to get you started

http://www.zabihah.com/sp.php?l=rome&country=us

Do not know about the halal restaurants in Rome but the Rome Jewish cuisine goes back over 2000 years. The Ghetto has some wonderful restaurants. A speciality is fried artichoke.

From NCL website

What about special dietary needs?

If you have any food allergy or a dietary requirement that requires Kosher meals or gluten-free food product, please advise a Norwegian Reservations Agent, or your Travel Agent at the time of booking. Obtaining the product for many of these requests requires 30-days notice prior to sailing, and we want to ensure that we are able to fulfill your request. We cannot guarantee Kosher Meal requests made within 30 days of sail date.

For the protection of all of our guests, it is not permissible to bring aboard any food items that would require preparation by the ship’s staff, or food items that would require cold storage in our kitchen facilities.

I've known people that will do Kosher instead of Halal due to availability.

With that being said, the Kosher meals will be frozen and reheated on the ship. I would assume that if arrangements could be made for Halal, that it would be the same type of arrangement.

You are not alone in your quest. My Indian Muslim friends managed quite well with the Indian/international vegetarian food aboard their ship but were able to find Halal restaurants/eateries in some of the ports on their itinerary.

This article relating to Muslims and travel I found interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19295861

Happy cruising to you!

Hi,

We contacted NCL to ask if they serve halal food, and they don't, but we still REALLY want to go on this 12 night Med. cruise on Aug.15,2013. So I was wondering if we could bring food onboard from some ports like in Rome (in a thermos or something) and eat it on the ship.

Thanks!

I'm somewhat confused by your posting, because a few days ago you posted this on another thread:

"NCL accommodates halal food, with whole chicken or veal."

Thanks, I will call NCL and ask about their policy. BTW, kosher food is not a substitute to halal because the prayer said is very different, but thanks for your ideas anyways. :)

I remember way back- 40 years ago, before halal was more easily available- when kosher restaurants in New York were frequented by Muslim diners. From my understanding, kosher is acceptable to Muslims, but halal is not OK for those who adhere to a kosher diet.

I've never heard of any issues with any prayers said- there is a prayer said before an animal is slaughtered 'kosher', and I'm sure there is also a prayer said before halal slaughter, but AFAIK, the restrictions for both kosher and halal are very similar- the quick, humane way the animal is slaughtered, and the type of animal that is acceptable are the same. However, kosher slaughter also involves inspecting the condition of the animal: if there are certain marks or blemishes discovered after slaughter, then the animal is not considered kosher; but I believe that halal does accept those animals- which is why those who follow halal will eat kosher, but the reverse isn't so.

As others have suggested, if for some reason your earlier post was not accurate, you could always consider following a vegetarian or vegan diet during your cruise. I haven't sailed with NCL, but have on several other lines, and my vegan diet has always been graciously and deliciously accommodated. You usually need to notify the cruise line 60 days in advance, and see the maitre d' on embarkation day.

From NCL website

What about special dietary needs?

If you have any food allergy or a dietary requirement that requires Kosher meals or gluten-free food product, please advise a Norwegian Reservations Agent, or your Travel Agent at the time of booking. Obtaining the product for many of these requests requires 30-days notice prior to sailing, and we want to ensure that we are able to fulfill your request. We cannot guarantee Kosher Meal requests made within 30 days of sail date.

For the protection of all of our guests, it is not permissible to bring aboard any food items that would require preparation by the ship’s staff, or food items that would require cold storage in our kitchen facilities.

If you follow this advice you should have no problem getting the food you require from the ship. You have plenty of time to request your dietary requirements from NCL.

There was a post on the NCL board about a man being stopped at security and told he could not bring his pizza on the ship while docked in Italy (he chose to eat it at security instead of tossing it in the trash). I'd make a call to NCL to be sure about bringing prepared, non-packaged food on the Med cruise.

Also remember that all cruise lines have a lot of Indonesian and Malaysian workers. Many are Muslim. (and a lot work in the galley) Talk to the NCL and see if they provide the workers with Halal diets. (or just talk to your waiter. He will probably know another waiter who obeys a Halal diet and may be able to direct you to the items on the menu that would be appropriate.)

I'm somewhat confused by your posting, because a few days ago you posted this on another thread:

"NCL accommodates halal food, with whole chicken or veal."

I remember way back- 40 years ago, before halal was more easily available- when kosher restaurants in New York were frequented by Muslim diners. From my understanding, kosher is acceptable to Muslims, but halal is not OK for those who adhere to a kosher diet.

I've never heard of any issues with any prayers said- there is a prayer said before an animal is slaughtered 'kosher', and I'm sure there is also a prayer said before halal slaughter, but AFAIK, the restrictions for both kosher and halal are very similar- the quick, humane way the animal is slaughtered, and the type of animal that is acceptable are the same. However, kosher slaughter also involves inspecting the condition of the animal: if there are certain marks or blemishes discovered after slaughter, then the animal is not considered kosher; but I believe that halal does accept those animals- which is why those who follow halal will eat kosher, but the reverse isn't so.

As others have suggested, if for some reason your earlier post was not accurate, you could always consider following a vegetarian or vegan diet during your cruise. I haven't sailed with NCL, but have on several other lines, and my vegan diet has always been graciously and deliciously accommodated. You usually need to notify the cruise line 60 days in advance, and see the maitre d' on embarkation day.

Yeah, I did because I contacted NCL before and asked them about halal food and they said it was available, but a lot of the time, the people who answer are not correct, as they were in this case. I found out after I asked again that they in fact DIDN'T have halal food. Sorry for the inconvenience, and I will try to delete that post, but I don't know how yet. I'm new at this stuff:)

Hi,

Thanks!

I would confirm with the ship what is allowed to bring, what is not, some meat, dairy, fresh fruit may not be allowed. I know in Norway we were warned not to bring fish back. Heard from others, dairy is an issue in France.

Hi,

Thanks!

We have generally purchased pastries, nuts, sometimes fruit in ports, & some falaffle in Israel on most Mediterranean/Eastern cruises. Never had a problem on Princess, Celebrity, Hal, and Cunard. Recently read somone on NCL was not allowed to bring on pizza. So suggest you carry on what you plan to do so packaged. I would not bring it to anyone attention.

Yeah, I did because I contacted NCL before and asked them about halal food and they said it was available, but a lot of the time, the people who answer are not correct, as they were in this case. I found out after I asked again that they in fact DIDN'T have halal food.

Did you speak to special services dept or just the res agent??

As you say a lot of times you get people that do not know the correct answers

Archived