Ordering Off Menu, Why?

Greyt Mom

I am intrigued about this notion of ordering off-menu. My question is, why?

From some of the threads it almost seems like a sport between the passengers and the chefs.

I'm not looking to get flamed or relegated to eating rations in a lifeboard on my next cruise. :D

I can understand asking for a substitution of a vegetable or request the sauce for an entree be served on the side. There are also food allergies and minor dislikes. But it sounds like people order completely different dishes that aren't an adaptation of an exisitng dish.

The chefs & Cunard have gone to the trouble to create menus with a variety of dishes as well as offer the option of other eateries (potentially with a surcharge.)

Please enlighten me as to why order off-menu?

Thanks!

On a personal level, the vegetarian choices are limited and the always available vegetarian menu never changes, so I get to choose from the same six dishes night after night. On a longer voyage that gets tedious.

But also, it's encouraged! I think they love coming up with something a bit different.

From some of the threads it almost seems like a sport between the passengers and the chefs.

I'm not looking to get flamed or relegated to eating rations in a lifeboard on my next cruise. :D

I can understand asking for a substitution of a vegetable or request the sauce for an entree be served on the side. There are also food allergies and minor dislikes. But it sounds like people order completely different dishes that aren't an adaptation of an exisitng dish.

The chefs & Cunard have gone to the trouble to create menus with a variety of dishes as well as offer the option of other eateries (potentially with a surcharge.)

Thanks!

Sometimes their is nothing on the menu that one fancies, So a steak or piece of chicken is ordered. Which is available off menu.

Edited by Pennbank

I think that Cunard developed the option for a couple of reasons. First, some things are expensive and or difficult to prepare and trying to put them on the regular menu is wasteful. A couple of examples: Bouff Wellington and Chateaubriand are expensive and cooking 40 and having 10 ordered from the regular menu can be very wasteful but knowing in advance how many orders are required is very cost conscious. Secondly, it is a bit of a cache to be able to offer the service. It sets Cunard QG apart from others. It also gives the wait staff a chance to show off as many specials are flambe. Specials have to be ordered either a day in advance or by lunch of the day for dinner in the evening. If they cannot do it they will tell you.

Thanks!

Most cruise lines offer an option of a piece of salmon, fish, or beefsteak. Considering the price charged, they should although Cunard usually does not in Britannia without a fight. In the grill class on Cunard, you are paying a pretty large premium, if the cruise line can't produce a decent steak, a chicken breast, or a pice of fish another one will. Additionally, some of the menu items cruise lines offer are subjectively vile such as mackerel cakes, creamed mushrooms on bread, or any of the cat food type appetizers.

I think that Cunard developed the option for a couple of reasons. First, some things are expensive and or difficult to prepare and trying to put them on the regular menu is wasteful. A couple of examples: Bouff Wellington and Chateaubriand are expensive and cooking 40 and having 10 ordered from the regular menu can be very wasteful but knowing in advance how many orders are required is very cost conscious. Secondly, it is a bit of a cache to be able to offer the service. It sets Cunard QG apart from others. It also gives the wait staff a chance to show off as many specials are flambe. Specials have to be ordered either a day in advance or by lunch of the day for dinner in the evening. If they cannot do it they will tell you.

Try Princess, Celebrity, or MSC even an inside cabineer can get a shrimp cocktail, steak, chicken or fish any dinner unlike Cunard which sets itself apart by its rigidity.

Cunard has a daily menu and a regular menu. You can order off of either, Regular are things like fish, steak, chicken, shrimp cocktails things of excellent quality. Daily are the menu specials Steak Diane, Lobster Thermador, things that can be made in large numbers but vary daily. The off menu in Cunard are special items like lobster tails, Boeuf Wellington, Chateaubriand. Not on either. Cunard is a more 'traditional' line but hardly rigid. I have cruised on Princess and Holland America and there is a noticable difference in service and quality on Cunard.Perhaps you should try it.

Edited by Bigmike911

Try Princess, Celebrity, or MSC even an inside cabineer can get a shrimp cocktail, steak, chicken or fish any dinner unlike Cunard which sets itself apart by its rigidity.

You appear very unlucky with your voyages. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been able to request the occasional Breast of Chicken or Minute Steak in the 'Britannia Restaurant'. I've been doing this for years, including a bowl of steamed vegetables most evenings ( these items are always available on request and without prior notification) I don't know about shrimp cocktail, but Cunard do a jolly good Prawn Cocktail that is also 'always available'.;)

Thanks!

Generally speaking, one is ordering off-menu at lunch time (maybe breakfast) for the evening dinner and sometimes it is just enjoyable to choose items that do not regularly appear on the menu and take your fancy for that evening. For example, Traditionally presented Caviar, Steak Tartare, Dover sole, Lobster to a specific recipe, maybe Banana Foster for a desert - in fact anything that takes your fancy so long as the ingredients are on-board. One of the reasons you may decide to opt for Queens Grill - its your choice and it is when you want it - and you are paying for it.

The items mentioned such as a specific cut of steak or chicken done a certain way doesn't seem difficult, in fact I have also asked for less "special sauce" in restaurants.

I'm not sure what beef wellington or chateaubriand require. I guess if the ingredients are on board and there is notice it is possible.

I can also see where a longer voyage would get old. During college the entrees in the dining would get old...not that I'm comparing Cunard to a college cafeteria. :eek:

I'm a fan of chocolate souffle and I do like the presentation of anything involving fire. Perhaps I'll give it a shot. ;)

Thanks again for the reasonable replies.

It's a good question. As others have said, it's an advertised selling point of QG that you can have 'whatever takes your fancy' and many in PG (though not as consistently) will also be able to order off menu from time to time. It's hard to pin down exactly what it is, but there is something rather special about having a dish prepared just for you. We also got the impression last summer in PG that the Head Waiter and Maitre D genuinely enjoyed showing off their craft with table side cooking. On our last evening the HW even excitedly showed us a recipe for a dessert of his own making!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But what about Britannia? My understanding that unlike almost every other line (Princess, Celebrity, MSC) the average passenger does not have the option to order a steak, salmon, or chicken breast for dinner. Ten years ago you could do so and it was noted as always available on the Cunard menu but now I do not think so. I am not complaining but is this is one of those Cunard eccentricities?

But what about Britannia? My understanding that unlike almost every other line (Princess, Celebrity, MSC) the average passenger does not have the option to order a steak, salmon, or chicken breast for dinner. Ten years ago you could do so and it was noted as always available on the Cunard menu but now I do not think so. I am not complaining but is this is one of those Cunard eccentricities?

Well you do have to ask. Like Bell Boy I have never had any problems getting a steak etc when I have asked.

David.

I think it depends what the OP meant by "off-menu".

In Britannia, you can request chicken/salmon/steak etc which are always available.

In the Princess Grill, to a limited extent and the Queens Grill to a far greater extent you can ask for pretty much anything you want, providing they have the ingredients.

So Britannia diners can order off menu?

Please keep up with the Thread resistk ;) see post 8 .....I, and many others have been ordering those simple 'Always Available off menu items' (for an evening meal) whenever we've dined in the Britannia Restaurant... for years!

Forgot to add, a 'Caesar Salad is available any time in the Britannia even though it might not appear on the menu that often.;)

Please keep up with the Thread resistk ;) see post 8 .....I, and many others have been ordering those simple 'Always Available off menu items' (for an evening meal) whenever we've dined in the Britannia Restaurant... for years!

Forgot to add, a 'Caesar Salad is available any time in the Britannia even though it might not appear on the menu that often.;)

If these items are always available why are they not on the Britannia menu as such?

If these items are always available why are they not on the Britannia menu as such?

:confused:Because then they wouldn't be off menu - those items would be on menu:)

Off menu items are not available in the same quantity as menu items. To quote a wise old Madison Avenue saying "don't advertise what you're not selling".

:confused:Because then they wouldn't be off menu - those items would be on menu:)

Off menu items are not available in the same quantity as menu items. To quote a wise old Madison Avenue saying "don't advertise what you're not selling".

OK so with Cunard it is all "secret handshake and a wink" to get the everyday offering what other lines publish in the menu? I find that a bit odd and annoying. How can a huge ocean liner run out of chicken breast, steak and salmon when smaller ones don't?

OK so with Cunard it is all "secret handshake and a wink" to get the everyday offering what other lines publish in the menu? I find that a bit odd and annoying. How can a huge ocean liner run out of chicken breast, steak and salmon when smaller ones don't?

This is only speculation, but I wonder whether the advent of Britannia Club may have something to do with this - since the 'always available' options form the core of the 'A La Carte' offering there, it may be Cunard are keen not to advertise them for the MDR in order to differentiate Britannia Club. That's only hazarding a guess though!

I have menus from ten years ago and on my copies the "off menu" options (chicken, steak, salmon) are NOT noted on any of them.

If they had been listed "on menu" as "always available" then, as Salacia very correctly points out, they are no longer "off menu" are they? Simples.

But, even ten years ago, I knew the "off menu" options were available if I asked for them (I have ordered steak on a couple of occasions; there was no problem getting steak either time, I was simply asked how I wanted it cooked).

You should try it... one day.

No. I think you may be confusing Cunard with Freemasons:)

My guess is that huge quantities of meat, chicken, fish, etc. are stored in the ship's freezer. I doubt that Cunard runs out of these foods often, but it is likely that only certain limited quantities of off-menu items are defrosted and prepared for cooking at a time.

Can I ask a question unrelated to this thread, but on the subject of food?

Are there any other options to eat if we don't want to eat in the dining room in the evening?

I cruised on QM2 in her inaugural year, as part of a big family party, but my husband and I have since cruised with other cruise lines and we enjoy freedom dining rather than a set dining time, which Is either too early or too late.

I am considering a cruise on Queen Elizabeth, so is there somewhere else open in the evenings? We will select an OV cabin.

Thank you.

There is no Freedom dining as such on Cunard Line, unless you opt to book Britannia Club or the Grills ,these have a more flexible time for evening meals. However, you can eat in one of the alternative dining venues but these include an additional charge. Other than that, it's self service I'm afraid.