Elizabeth or Victoria

moses0

Ok calling all you Cunardian frequent travelers. We have crossed the Atlantic twice on the QM2 and loved it. Now considering one of her sister ships. It is our 50th anniversary next year and we are researching the possiblity of cruising the Greek Islands etc. It would be late August/September time. So which one would you reccomend and may I ask why?

Otherwise its a couple of weeks in Hawaii

Ok calling all you Cunardian frequent travelers. We have crossed the Atlantic twice on the QM2 and loved it. Now considering one of her sister ships. It is our 50th anniversary next year and we are researching the possiblity of cruising the Greek Islands etc. It would be late August/September time. So which one would you reccomend and may I ask why?

Otherwise its a couple of weeks in Hawaii

I would go for Hawaii,

However I prefer Queen Victoria, due to the Decor and It presently has a Chart room. In my opinion the decor in places resembles the old Queen Mary.

To be honest both QE and QE are Vista Class ships and the only Ocean Going Liner is QM2.

During QV refit Cunard are apparently going to build it up to look like QE with extra staterooms. So perhaps opt for QV to her as she was originally built.

Edited by Pennbank

I preferred the Queen Elizabeth; I could see where they had identified small layout errrors on Queen Victoria, and corrected them when they had a second "go" at it. I liked the sports deck on QE better than on QV as well.

Not having a Chart Room (which QV currently has) means the other bars on Queen Elizabeth are slightly more full, but then the Chart Room on QV is nothing like the high-ceiling*, superb room on QM2; on QV it is more like sitting in a wide corridor.

Also Queen Victoria is darker overall than the decor on Queen Elizabeth.

The theatres on both QV and QE are far superior in looks to the Royal Court on QM2; but then QM2 has two "theatres" whereas the smaller sisters have only one.

Having a main passageway running through the middle of the Queens Room on QV/QE came as an unwelcome surprise (poor design).

I'm booked again on QE as I enjoyed her so much. It would have to be a very good deal or itinerary to get me back on QV.

(*Note that, after the high ceilings/deckheads on Decks 2 & 3 on QM2, the low ceilings on both sisters come as quite a surprise).

Hope this helps.

I would go for Hawaii, However I prefer Queen Victoria, due to the Decor and It presently has a Chart room. In my opinion the decor in places resembles the old Queen Mary. To be honest both QE and QE are Vista Class ships and the only Ocean Going Liner is QM2. During QV refit Cunard are apparently going to build it up to look like QE with extra staterooms. So perhaps opt for QV to her as she was originally built.
Hi Pennbank,

How interesting you should have felt this on QV, when I noted they had built copies, from the 1st Class public rooms on the Original Queen Mary, into the bars on board the Queen Elizabeth!

Here:

Copied from QM 1st Class dining room:

QE Midships Bar

Copied from QM 1st CLass Lounge:

QE Midships Bar

Copied from QM Starboard Gallery:

QE Cafe Carinthia

It just seemed to me that they made a real effort to make QE more "Deco" with several reminders (some shown above) of the original Queen Mary, whereas, to me, QV was a mix of styles. Funny how things can look different to different people!

Best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Pennbank,

How interesting you should have felt this on QV, when I noted they had built copies, from the 1st Class public rooms on the Original Queen Mary, into the bars on board the Queen Elizabeth!

Here:

Copied from QM 1st Class dining room:

QE Midships Bar

Copied from QM 1st CLass Lounge:

QE Midships Bar

Copied from QM Starboard Gallery:

QE Cafe Carinthia

It just seemed to me that they made a real effort to make QE more "Deco" with several reminders (some shown above) of the original Queen Mary, whereas, to me, QV was a mix of styles. Funny how things can look different to different people!

Best wishes.

Once again marvellous pictures pepperrn

On Queen Victoria I was remembering the artwork behind the Captains table in QV Britannia Dining room with the revolving globe (The Queen Mary had the Clockwork ship across the Atlantic) and the Grand staircase showing the ship on the Globe emerging from the North Atlantic .

and the artefacts in the cases in the Cunardia Museum on Deck 3.

Yep, things do look different to different people.

Edited by Pennbank

I can't compare the QV and QE, because we have only been on the QE. But, I can tell you how I felt sailing on the QE...

Initially, I nervous there would be disappointment, because the QM2 stands head and shoulders (IMO) above all other passenger ships. I wondered how the QE could possibly measure-up. I remember that Lanky Lad wrote a very reassuring response to my posting, when I asked this board how the QE compares to the QM2.

Happily, there is a Cunard-ness that translated wonderfully, so that our 36 days on the QE were absolutely marvelous. Yes, we do prefer the QM2, but the atmosphere, style of service, food, enrichment programs and entertainment were really on a par.

Hawaii is great, but I think (depending on the itinerary) you would be satisfied sailing on either the QE or QV.

DH and I are current booked on the QV, sailing in 2018---and looking forward to her.

Happy Sailing to you !!!

Jimmybean

Hi,

I like both ships and certainly would be interested on cruising aboard either ship in the future. Because they are similar, I would decide based on itinerary. I slightly prefer the Queen Elizabeth because I like the Art Deco interiors and the memorabilia from the QE2.

Although they don't have grandeur of the QM2, I think Cunard did a good job designing these ships. They provide a traditional Cunard atmosphere on a smaller scale.

Chuck

Hi, I like both ships and certainly would be interested on cruising aboard either ship in the future. Because they are similar, I would decide based on itinerary. I slightly prefer the Queen Elizabeth because I like the Art Deco interiors and the memorabilia from the QE2. Although they don't have grandeur of the QM2, I think Cunard did a good job designing these ships. They provide a traditional Cunard atmosphere on a smaller scale. Chuck
Well said seacruise9 :) thank you.

Yes, but Birthday not anniversary :)

Only one Greek island but it's a very nice itinerary - several of my favourite places.

never been to any except Venice for a short afternoon.

Thinking the ship maybe a let down after QM2 makes me a little aprehensive

Edited by moses0