Thinking of switching categories on QM2 - Advice?

Maple_Girl

Hi,

We are booked in a partially obstructed view cabin (deck 8, midship, starbird side) on the QM2 Eastbound crossing in January. We've never been on a crossing before or on the QM2. I'm thinking we might prefer a sheltered cabin instead. I really want to see the sky and horizon from our balcony. For a scant $100 more we can get a sheltered balcony Mid-Fwd on deck 5.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to deck 5 and being Mid-Fwd rather than midship?

The good news is there is no bad choice.

Have you seen this link which will show you specifically HOW obstructed your view is?

https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/qm2_obs

Personally, 5 Deck mid-forward is our preferred cabin for TA crossings. We were in 5048 last May and will be in 5053 next year. Not only for ship motion and convenience but also, honestly, for price. A few years ago, we were upgraded to a cabin on 10 (not a crossing). It was nice and much brighter. We'll say yes to an upgrade but not eager to pay for it.

As for mid-fwd, it comes down to the Commodore Club for us. It's easy and fast to speed up on the A elevators. (Of course, on 8, you're just one deck down). Deck five for convenience to all the public rooms on 2 & 3, with quiet passenger cabins above and below.

It comes down to the degree of obstruction and your sensitivity to motion sickness.

Edited by MarkBearSF

The good news is there is no bad choice.

Have you seen this link which will show you specifically HOW obstructed your view is?

https://ask.cunard.com/help/fleet/qm2_obs

Personally, 5 Deck mid-forward is our preferred cabin for TA crossings. We were in 5048 last May and will be in 5053 next year. Not only for ship motion and convenience but also, honestly, for price. A few years ago, we were upgraded to a cabin on 10 (not a crossing). It was nice and much brighter. We'll say yes to an upgrade but not eager to pay for it.

As for mid-fwd, it comes down to the Commodore Club for us. It's easy and fast to speed up on the A elevators. (Of course, on 8, you're just one deck down). Deck five for convenience to all the public rooms on 2 & 3, with quiet passenger cabins above and below.

It comes down to the degree of obstruction and your sensitivity to motion sickness.

Thanks for your reply Mark! Our obstructed view cabin is the least obstructed one can get, centered right between 2 lifeboats. I believe the view would be something like 8068 on the cunard page you provided. I'm not sure about motion sickness. Which deck (5 or 8) has the least amount of movement? We'd probably prefer that one.

Hi, we have been on deck 6 and deck 11. Yes the glass balcony offers a view while sitting but the lower you go the less movement you will feel. Our next 2 are on deck 5. I don't mind sheltered as I usual am standing and watching the world go by.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Argus

Which deck (5 or 8) has the least amount of movement? We'd probably prefer that one.

The rules for minimizing motion is to be as close to the center of gravity of the ship as possible. This means closer to the waterline and mid-ship. Deck 5 will be more stable.

Mark

More stable, but anything can happen! We did both deck five and deck 10 on back to back transatlantics. I really preferred the light of the non-sheltered cabin. It sounds like even with the lifeboats, you would get more than in the sheltered.

We also had cabins in nearly identical locations between A and B.

On our return, we had the interesting experience of listing to the side at three am in the morning. my bed was higher than my daughters. The water was rushing over our balcony in hurricane force winds (and this was August). It really didn't matter where one was. It was frightening and if anything being lower, is closer to the angry sea!

I'd stay were you are. I found the sheltered balcony gloomy, but that's me.

We came back from QM2 a month ago and had a Deck 5 sheltered balcony on both crossings. To be honest we found it hugely irritating that we could see nothing when we were sitting down, because of the nature of the balcony sides. We also found that the cabins seems to have a vibration on the starboard side. We'd look at an obstructed balcony if we went again and sussed them out when we were on the ship.