Best way to get from Seattle Airport to Westin downtown

thescot1234

We have booked a pre-cruise stay at the Westin downtown. What is the best way to get from the Seattle airport to this hotel. I do see that they have a light rail system but am not too sure whether it is easy to wheel luggage from the rail station to the Westin.

What have others used for transportation?

The light rail is going to be difficult if you have luggage. You could check to see if the Downtown Airporter has the Westin or a nearby hotel as a pick up/drop off point. Other options are taxi, Uber, and Lyft. Also check Seattle Express. You may also want to contact the hotel directly to see what they recommend.

Roz

Since you asked.....

We have never had an issue using the light rail service with luggage. It is cheap, easy to use if you have one or two bags, and are able bodied to walk a bit to the rail system. Be sure to see how far it is from the rail TO the hotel.

OR

MY recommendation for years, when we have been to Seattle, is to use SEATAC TOWNCAR SERVICE and his name is AJ. I do not own this company or a part of in ANY way except for our experiences using him. He has ALWAYS been on-time with our pre-arranged pickups, courteous, and very appreciative of our business. He will get you there quickly and is aware when he should try to take an alternative route. We have used him multiple times on a cruise from airport to hotel, hotel to Pier 66 or 91 and Pier back to SEATAC after cruise. Either call him directly at (206) 697-5577 and get a quote OR check out his webpage at http://www.seatactowncar.com If you feel like it tell him his friend Charlene from San Diego says HELLO :D

Hope this helped and wish for you an amazing cruise and vacation!

Just finished researching this since we're also at the Westin for a couple of nights pre-cruise. I believe the Downtown Airporter does not serve the Westin. The light rail station is at Westlake Center, which is a block and a half from the hotel. Don't know about the train itself, but we didn't want to roll luggage that far. Talked to the Westin concierge who was very helpful and could provide info for town car services, but found the private town car service through Shuttle Express was an acceptable price (they say they'll meet us at the baggage claim at SeaTac, whereas with the actual Shuttle Express shared shuttle, as well as Uber and Lyft, I believe you have to take the elevator/escalator up and across the sky walk to the third level of the parking garage). Obviously, my planning involves dragging luggage as little as possible. And this is all based on reading CC posts and a few emails and phone calls, not on any personal experience.

You will drag your carry on further from the jetway to baggage claim than you will drag it from Westlake Center to the Westin.

Depending on your arrival time, baggage on the train is probably not much of an issue - the transit authority was aware they were building a train from the airport to downtown and they get that people will use it as intended. The walk from baggage claim to the light rail station at the airport is approximately the same as the walk from gate C10 to baggage claim.

I wouldn't hesitate to use light rail; it's certainly the cheapest option at $3pp. UberX or Lyft reduce the walking by about 750 feet on each end for $38 for up to three. Using a town car service that can pick up at baggage claim reduces the walk by another 150 feet (and up and down one floor) for whatever they charge.

sorry, your getting some bad advice. Shuttle Express.com opeates the airporter and most certainly stops at the Westin. You can get a towncar that is based at SEATAC airport and run by the port. No reservations needed and its a flat $45 for up to 4 to Westin hotel. It's called Stila and you can use the phone in baggage claim and call Ground Transportation and they pick you up at the door closest to you in Baggage claim. Link light rail will put you about one block from Westin hotel. Only you can decide what is easiest for you?

Just to clarify, STILA is an independent association of livery operators, not a service of the port. They have the franchise for town cars that can solicit business at the airport.

Of the choices, the shared rides are the absolute worst because the Westin is at the other end of downtown from most hotels and thus you will be getting an unscenic city tour with you and N friends depending on the size of the vehicle; UberX and Lyft keep fares for all modes pretty low given the distance from airport to downtown, so any fare advantage of shared rides for two passengers is pretty much pocket lint.

If you're considering a pre-reserved towncar, consider that Uber and Lyft each have upwards of 1000 vehicles on the road during peak hours just inside the city of Seattle (not including the airport); this means one is usually three to four minutes away if the first one you request has a problem. Operators with smaller fleets are just as subject to traffic and Murphy's Law as operators of massive fleets, but the massive fleet has more reserve capacity to keep you moving on your time schedule.

...Shuttle Express was an acceptable price (they say they'll meet us at the baggage claim at SeaTac, whereas with the actual Shuttle Express shared shuttle, as well as Uber and Lyft, I believe you have to take the elevator/escalator up and across the sky walk to the third level of the parking garage)...

You will still need to take the escalator up and across to get to your car. The only difference is that your driver will take care of getting the luggage there for you (assuming you don't have too much for him to handle).

That may be true...like I said, I've only checked what others have posted and what I've been told when calling. But on another thread here about SeaTac baggage claim pickup, most who use town cars/limos are saying their ride meets them right outside the doors of the baggage claim area. Guess we'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks.

the Port of Seattle contracts with one taxi and one limo firm. Stila is the limo assoc, and fares are regulated by the Port of Seattle. The Westin is one of about 6 stops on the airporter run, so its not a long time before being dropped off, If you take the 'normal' shuttle express you could be in for the scenic tour, but the airporter basiclly runs on a set route.

You will still need to take the escalator up and across to get to your car. The only difference is that your driver will take care of getting the luggage there for you (assuming you don't have too much for him to handle).

This was our experience as well when we hired a private driver through Shuttle Express. It was quite a walk to get to the garage for my mom. We loved the convenience of the private reserved ride vs our previous Light Rail experience. LR is great if you are able-bodied and in somewhat good shape. [emoji6]

Thanks for all the advice. I will do a street view of the walk from westlake to the westin. Might consider shuttle express, do you have to pre-book or can you just show up for that service?

Also post cruise, we have a flight out of Seattle at 5pm. What is the best way to get to the airport from Pierr 66 (NCL ship). Does anyone know if NCL offers transfers?

Thanks for all the advice. I will do a street view of the walk from westlake to the westin. Might consider shuttle express, do you have to pre-book or can you just show up for that service?

Also post cruise, we have a flight out of Seattle at 5pm. What is the best way to get to the airport from Pierr 66 (NCL ship). Does anyone know if NCL offers transfers?

I think almost all the cruise lines offer transfers to SeaTac. You'll have a long wait at the airport. If NCL offers a sightseeing tour in addition to the transfer, that may be the way to go.

Roz