Formal Night Questions from a Newbie.

Hope100

I'm going on my first cruise on an RCI ship in a week and have a couple of questions about the formal nights I'm hoping you can help me with.

First of all do most people go for long or short dresses?

Secondly - shoes. If I was going to a formal night on land I would certainly be in a pair of heels and that is what I had planned. However I read a post on another thread where someone mentioned being rocked to sleep by the motion of the ship. I had assumed that ships were so big nowadays that you would hardly feel the motion! If that is the case are high heels a bad idea? What do people go with?

Thanks.

In my experience there will be both long and short (cocktail) dresses in abundance. You will not feel out of place whichever you choose. I have always worn heels on formal nights and never had a problem. As you say, one can hardly feel the ship's motion unless the sea is very rough.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have only done one cruise on Royal Caribbean but found that there were many people who did not even dress up for the "formal" nights. I saw few long dresses (mostly people who were having pictures made). However, you will not be the only one if you do decide to go with a long dress. Depending on your itinerary, you may have some rough seas. You will see many women with heels of varying heights - so again go with what you feel will be comfortable.

Enjoy your cruise!

I've been on many Royal Caribbean cruises and in my experience VERY few ladies wear full length gowns. Most wear short dresses and many of those are not what I would consider "formal" or even semi-formal. Still others just wear black pants and a dressy top, and others who skip formal night entirely.

Meant to add that I've never had a problem walking in heels on a cruise, and wear them every single night. Occasionally I've felt the ship rock, but with only 1 or 2 exceptions it's never been so severe as to affect normal activities including walking (in heels). Take your heels, but if you're worried, have a plan B in case the ship experiences an unusual amount of motion.

You will find as many different shoe styles as you find people wearing them;)....there are many, MANY women who

wear high heels......just depends on the person. I don't wear them, but that is just me.......I have flats and wedges that

are dressy enough for those nights I want to get dressed up for........I haven't owned "high heels" in years..........

Again, different strokes for different folks:D