Astoria Oregon things to do

That was awesome info thank you so much. So this is what I'm thinking for the day - walk along the river, maybe take a hoho trolley, go to the columns and walk the steps to the top. Also have lunch at the bowpicker. Then see some of the quaint downtown. How do we go about all this logistically ? Like walk to blank or trolley to blank etc thx so much I'm excited about this day now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Now that's a specific question I feel confident answering!

Since you can take the quaint little 'tourist trolley' out to the Maritime Museum (and even if you don't want to go inside - which personally I would recommend unless you have zero interest in boats, stories of tragedy & triumph etc - it's the most convenient stop for the Column and the Bowpicker) I've only listed the Column, Bowpicker, and Museum on this little map. From the museum downtown is a pleasant walk on a nice day - a little under 2 miles, and if you stick next to the water it's very hard to get lost in Astoria - but the Riverfront Trolley is very cheap and faster than walking if you don't just miss one (it goes out & back, only one track).

Pan further to the right and you'll see Pier 39 - Rogue Ales public house is out here in the old cannery and a metric buttload of sealions like to hang around on the floating platforms next to it. There's another trolley stop here too if the walk seems too much (it's a STEEP hill up to the column, before you factor in the steps within it too, so resting your barking dogs might be needed after).

Not sure which ship you're on. The brutal waters around the Columbia Bar do mean there's a chance it will be missed completely, but if you check the cruise timetable they should have your dock location locked-in for if you make it there. Downtown puts on a little craft fair - and it looks like for 2017 every ship is going to dock downtown except Regatta and Emerald Princess which will be at anchor (sorry, no idea where they'll anchor and thus where they'll tender in to).

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the this and the nice link to the map!

Now that's a specific question I feel confident answering!

Since you can take the quaint little 'tourist trolley' out to the Maritime Museum (and even if you don't want to go inside - which personally I would recommend unless you have zero interest in boats, stories of tragedy & triumph etc - it's the most convenient stop for the Column and the Bowpicker) I've only listed the Column, Bowpicker, and Museum on this little map. From the museum downtown is a pleasant walk on a nice day - a little under 2 miles, and if you stick next to the water it's very hard to get lost in Astoria - but the Riverfront Trolley is very cheap and faster than walking if you don't just miss one (it goes out & back, only one track).

Pan further to the right and you'll see Pier 39 - Rogue Ales public house is out here in the old cannery and a metric buttload of sealions like to hang around on the floating platforms next to it. There's another trolley stop here too if the walk seems too much (it's a STEEP hill up to the column, before you factor in the steps within it too, so resting your barking dogs might be needed after).

Not sure which ship you're on. The brutal waters around the Columbia Bar do mean there's a chance it will be missed completely, but if you check the cruise timetable they should have your dock location locked-in for if you make it there. Downtown puts on a little craft fair - and it looks like for 2017 every ship is going to dock downtown except Regatta and Emerald Princess which will be at anchor (sorry, no idea where they'll anchor and thus where they'll tender in to).

The Trolley is a transport for the tourist part of the city. Would also recommend the Bridgewater Bistro for lunch, or maybe just a drink with a nice water view, weather permitting. Also a nice waterfront waling path that's easy to access from where the ship docks. The local often set up a market along the pier when cruise ships are in port.

It's sort of a shame there isn't a shuttle to the Lewis & Clark National Historical Park at Fort Clatsop where Lewis & Clark (and the Corps of Discovery) wintered in 1805-1806. A very interesting bit of history and amazing that they endured the long rainy winter in the little cabins. It's so close yet so far away from Astoria proper. Then again there's not a lot to spend money on there so.... no shuttle. :(

^I agree, Fort Clatsop is one of the best things in the area but exactly as you say, so cheap that a shuttle just wouldn't make sense. Worth splitting a cab each way with another couple though, or for anyone renting a car and absolute no-brainer to go on the To Do list.