5 days in Honolulu - car and Luau question/recommendations

nanourw

Hello,

We are spending 5 days inWaikiki before our cruise.

So far on our to do list wehave Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Polynesian Cultural Center,snorkelling, attending a luau.

Can we get to those various places by public transport or shouldwe hire a car?

As for the Luau any good recommendations, we really wouldlike to see a proper traditional one not a commercial one.

Any other recommendations appreciated, thank you.

Where are you staying?

If you have 4 nights (5 days) on Oahu you have to run the numbers that include parking at your hotel, to see if it makes sense. Certainly a car is more convenient and gives you control, but you might not need one every day.

If you are going to the PCC, I'd just do the luau there and rent a car at least for that day.

For Pearl Harbor and the local attractions (Diamond Head, Iolani Palace, Chinatown, etc) you can use Uber or public transportation.

Lastly, unless your timing is incredibly fortunate a local luau is unlikely and one of the commercial ones is your only real choice. Chief's Luau is getting good reviews, PCC has the best show, Paradise Cove is well regarded. Germaine's is not considered top tier by most of the people I know who stay up on the luaus on Oahu.

Where are you staying?

If you have 4 nights (5 days) on Oahu you have to run the numbers that include parking at your hotel, to see if it makes sense. Certainly a car is more convenient and gives you control, but you might not need one every day.

If you are going to the PCC, I'd just do the luau there and rent a car at least for that day.

For Pearl Harbor and the local attractions (Diamond Head, Iolani Palace, Chinatown, etc) you can use Uber or public transportation.

Lastly, unless your timing is incredibly fortunate a local luau is unlikely and one of the commercial ones is your only real choice. Chief's Luau is getting good reviews, PCC has the best show, Paradise Cove is well regarded. Germaine's is not considered top tier by most of the people I know who stay up on the luaus on Oahu.

Thank you, we are staying in Waikiki.

Hello,

So far on our to do list wehave Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Polynesian Cultural Center,snorkelling, attending a luau.

As for the Luau any good recommendations, we really wouldlike to see a proper traditional one not a commercial one.

The PCC offers add on round trip transfers from Waikiki hotels with their Day and show packages for very little I believe. Have not been there, but it sounds like the dinner and show is not really "luau" style in that you have a dinner of some sort and then proceed to the theatre where the show is performed. A good show but indifferent food, is what I have heard.

If you are on the POA, for 1st day Maui, I'd instead book the Old Lahaina Luau near Lahaina. This luau is very highly rated and is traditional style. With a rental car, you could tour for the day and arrive at the old fishing village of Lahiana later in the day.

Back to O'ahu, I'd do a car rental only for 1 day. You can probably rent near your hotel. Do a partial circle island, up to the North Shore and then East past the surfing beaches, food trucks, Waimea Valley, and eventually heading south along the Windward Coast and Kualoa Mountains. Stop at Kualoa Ranch for the very scenic movie sites tour if you have time. Farther South and then West toward Honolulu you'll pass many scenic beaches, Hanauma Bay, and drive past Diamond Head before entering Waikiki from the opposite side you left it.

Hello,

When we were there October 2015, we stayed in Waikiki (Beach Walk area) and had an Enterprise car rental location just .2 miles from our hotel. Parking at that time was $35 a day, so we chose to just rent and return the same day since the rental place was so close. We didn't need one every day, so this worked out well on the days we did.

I recommend in addition to your to see list, you add a hike at Manoa Falls, Nu'uanu Lookout, and if you have time, a drive to the North Shore. We attended the luau at Paradise Cove and found it enjoyable for a first time luau. They have transportation (for a reasonable fee) and pickup at or near most Waikiki hotels.

• 3 weeks later...
The PCC offers add on round trip transfers from Waikiki hotels with their Day and show packages for very little I believe. Have not been there, but it sounds like the dinner and show is not really "luau" style in that you have a dinner of some sort and then proceed to the theatre where the show is performed. A good show but indifferent food, is what I have heard.

If you are on the POA, for 1st day Maui, I'd instead book the Old Lahaina Luau near Lahaina. This luau is very highly rated and is traditional style. With a rental car, you could tour for the day and arrive at the old fishing village of Lahiana later in the day.

Back to O'ahu, I'd do a car rental only for 1 day. You can probably rent near your hotel. Do a partial circle island, up to the North Shore and then East past the surfing beaches, food trucks, Waimea Valley, and eventually heading south along the Windward Coast and Kualoa Mountains. Stop at Kualoa Ranch for the very scenic movie sites tour if you have time. Farther South and then West toward Honolulu you'll pass many scenic beaches, Hanauma Bay, and drive past Diamond Head before entering Waikiki from the opposite side you left it.

Thank you Brenda.

The Old Lahaina Luau near Lahaina.was recommended but unfortunatly we are on Celebrity and it doesn't work out time wise as we are only there for the day.

Will probably rent acra On Oahu as seems to be a good way to see the island.

When we were there October 2015, we stayed in Waikiki (Beach Walk area) and had an Enterprise car rental location just .2 miles from our hotel. Parking at that time was $35 a day, so we chose to just rent and return the same day since the rental place was so close. We didn't need one every day, so this worked out well on the days we did.

I recommend in addition to your to see list, you add a hike at Manoa Falls, Nu'uanu Lookout, and if you have time, a drive to the North Shore. We attended the luau at Paradise Cove and found it enjoyable for a first time luau. They have transportation (for a reasonable fee) and pickup at or near most Waikiki hotels.

Thank you, think we will the same, rent for the day