Upgrading airfare to premium economy

workstocruise

I frequently use Oceania air, fortunately we have enough cruises now to get included deviations. I've always been happy with Oceania air, but I've never had anything go wrong.

One thing to bear in mind when booking your hotel through them that it is per person. So you definitely need to look at what hotels they are using for your port city and what the cost is. Many people find they are better off taking the Olife, then taking the air credit, doing your own air and hotel and transfers, and still saving money. I see yours is a European cruise, many times it's hard to beat the price that Oceania can get for you on an International flight.

You always need to look at each cruise individually and do the math. Like you we fly from a secondary gateway and most often find we can't beat the 198 per person add on to get to a gateway city.

Well summarized.

It would be a very rare exception when taking O pre-cruise hotel would be a better deal than doing it yourself . That is true even if you consider the O added transfers as everything is in cost per person with O vs per room and per taxi on your own.

Their hotels, transfers and tours are all overpriced for the sake of convenience for those that prefer that.

• 3 weeks later...

We always allow at least 1 "insurance day" to make sure we'll make it to a cruise. If the departure port is somewhere that we've not been before, we plan to spend some time exploring it before the cruise. I have always been astounded at the price per person that cruise lines charge for their pre-cruise hotels even factoring in the transportation to the port. In Europe, we have found that our hotel can recommend a car and driver to pick us up at the airport and/or deliver us to the port.

It has been my experience that at least from Canada, one-way flights to or from Europe are expensive, often more than the cost of a round trip ticket. So anytime we are doing a trans Atlantic, this is a consideration. There are a very few airlines that do reasonably priced one-way tickets, e.g., Iceland Air and Air Transat. The credit for not flying with Oceania arranged flights would not come close to covering even half of what it would cost me to book these flights myself.

We have booked our first cruise with Oceania and our second cruise which includes airfare. We have paid the deviation fee to go early and actually to a different city. We were not charged extra to go to the different city [as the airfares from North America were comparable]. The additional fare we were charged to fly to/from our home city to the gateway airport was about what we would pay for a one-way flight ourselves. These arrangements were made after we had paid the full cruise fare [we booked after the final payment date]. My understanding is that our flights are booked but not ticketed and that ticketing can happen anytime after 60 days before departure. We are flying Air Canada with the final segment in Europe on a shared flight with Lufthansa. I can find the booking on Air Canada's web site but I cannot pre-select seats because the booking was not made on their web site. For the overseas flight, I would really like to upgrade to the seats with more leg room so I am hoping our Travel Agent will be able to accomplish this next week.

One thing that our TA did mention to me is that if Oceania is getting free seats on a flight [because of the number of seats they have purchased], it may not be possible to pre-select our seats.

My understanding is that our flights are booked but not ticketed and that ticketing can happen anytime after 60 days before departure. We are flying Air Canada with the final segment in Europe on a shared flight with Lufthansa. I can find the booking on Air Canada's web site but I cannot pre-select seats because the booking was not made on their web site. For the overseas flight, I would really like to upgrade to the seats with more leg room so I am hoping our Travel Agent will be able to accomplish this next week.

One thing that our TA did mention to me is that if Oceania is getting free seats on a flight [because of the number of seats they have purchased], it may not be possible to pre-select our seats.

If you have paid in full ask for them to ticketed you now

Then you might be able to see what seats they have selected for you incase you want to change them

I have had luck in the past calling AC to get them changed as O had us in middle seats in different rows

If you cannot upgrade before you might see at check in if there are seats available for a fee

We have done that with online check in 24 hrs prior or at the airport

We are using O air, and our TA was able to get us ticketed almost immediately after final payment. Then I was able to log into Delta and change our seats. I could have upgraded to Comfort Plus at that time, but it was quite expensive. We may still do it.

We are using O air, and our TA was able to get us ticketed almost immediately after final payment. Then I was able to log into Delta and change our seats. I could have upgraded to Comfort Plus at that time, but it was quite expensive. We may still do it.

"Then I was able to log into Delta and change our seats"

That is great to know. I thought the (lowest) class of ticket O (and others) buy Delta ( and United and AA) would not allow seat upgrades. Maybe I was wrong about Delta. Or maybe O is getting a higher category of flight?? That would be great as I cannot image ever using O's air again if not able to book seats before the 48 hour window and be middle / middlesomewhere in the plane.

"Then I was able to log into Delta and change our seats"

That is great to know. I thought the (lowest) class of ticket O (and others) buy Delta ( and United and AA) would not allow seat upgrades. Maybe I was wrong about Delta. Or maybe O is getting a higher category of flight?? That would be great as I cannot image ever using O's air again if not able to book seats before the 48 hour window and be middle / middlesomewhere in the plane.

DL's system has always offered us a comfort plus upgrade, but we do a deviation when using O air. The system has also offered comfort plus upgrades with FF flights and on a screaming cheap ticket ($425 RT) we had for a flight last month for a land trip to Poland. Price varies. I didn't bite on the upgrade for the return portion for our last trip until I saw a price drop for the upgrade.

Why are we discussing Delta and Premium Economy? Delta doesn't offer P.E.!!!! Comfort Plus is not P.E.!!! It's Economy seats in the Economy section that has more legroom than standard Economy seating.

When people make certain statements about Premium Economy, they are making those statements based on that class of service similar to discussing Business or First Class. They don't apply to Economy class seats with extra leg room!

Americans that have only experienced US flag carriers have a very difficult issue with grasping the difference when discussing Premium Economy and other classes of service.

Why are we discussing Delta and Premium Economy? Delta doesn't offer P.E.!!!! Comfort Plus is not P.E.!!! It's Economy seats in the Economy section that has more legroom than standard Economy seating.

When people make certain statements about Premium Economy, they are making those statements based on that class of service similar to discussing Business or First Class. They don't apply to Economy class seats with extra leg room!

Americans that have only experienced US flag carriers have a very difficult issue with grasping the difference when discussing Premium Economy and other classes of service.

Very true. Still waiting to see DL start offering the product...it's supposed to be rolled out soon. AA does have a few flights with true PE.

Very true. Still waiting to see DL start offering the product...it's supposed to be rolled out soon. AA does have a few flights with true PE.

That's why I was careful to mention Comfort Plus on Delta, not Premium Economy. Comfort Plus gives you extra legroom, complimentary alcoholic beverages and priority boarding.

OK, just to be clear as to what you are saying in the above discussion. When someone books international air through O with the Premium Economy Air option, we are getting the Premium Economy Air when it is not a Delta flight and Delta Comfort Plus when O puts us on a Delta international flight. Am I interpreting your above discussion correctly? In either case, it seems like a pretty good deal for either $99 or $149, depending on O's sale price at the time.

OK, just to be clear as to what you are saying in the above discussion. When someone books international air through O with the Premium Economy Air option, we are getting the Premium Economy Air when it is not a Delta flight and Delta Comfort Plus when O puts us on a Delta international flight. Am I interpreting your above discussion correctly? In either case, it seems like a pretty good deal for either $99 or $149, depending on O's sale price at the time.

I'd be interested in knowing if O only books true premium economy....which until AA and DL get their products fully up and running, means Air Canada and European carriers to Europe.

For those doing price comparisons to O air, I played around with the Lufthansa website today. It was interesting to note that one could easily book a PE or Business class seat for the overnight journey to Europe and a lower class seat for the daylight return. US airlines make it hard to do class mixing for the RT.

Sorry for the double post earlier...the iPad is acting weird today.

I'd be interested in knowing if O only books true premium economy....which until AA and DL get their products fully up and running, means Air Canada and European carriers to Europe.

In their promo offer they have this

CA$199 Premium Economy Air Upgrade

For a limited time, take advantage of our CA$199 Premium Economy Air Upgrade* and enjoy a wealth of amenities to make your air travel experience more comfortable. With wider seats, abundant legroom and a personal entertainment system at your disposal, you will arrive rested, refreshed and ready to explore on your Oceania Cruises dream vacation. Among the amenities you can expect to receive*: priority boarding, extra luggage allowance, wider seats, extra legroom, attentive service, delicious meals & full bar service and personal entertainment system.

We use the finest world carriers such as British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Scandinavian Airlines, Air Canada and Iceland air.

Now since we are rerouted to CAD offers not sure what the US site has for carriers

Notice that Oceania's list of carriers, for PE service, does not list any US carriers, because in only tiny circumstances do they offer the product. AA recently posted they were retrofitting their 787 for PE. They only fly that plane to Asia currently! They are almost exclusively flying A333 and various 767 to Europe. O hasn't been offering the PE upgrade to Asia , only Europe. AA did retrofits on their remaining 28 767-300 and did not include PE seating.

As a note to my above comments. UA will allow you to buy different service level , i.e. business or Economy, on each transoceanic leg. AA will not. However, UA will not sell you a PE seat on a Star Alliance partner. They will book you only as. Economy, and you must then call that partner and pay to upgrade with them. AA will sell you a PE seat on a oneworld partner aircraft,if the service is offered.

With either airline, to get a seat assigned you must call the airlines operating the flight and in some instances pay for the privilege of getting early seat assignments.

Notice that Oceania's list of carriers, for PE service, does not list any US carriers, because in only tiny circumstances do they offer the product. AA recently posted they were retrofitting their 787 for PE. They only fly that plane to Asia currently! They are almost exclusively flying A333 and various 767 to Europe. O hasn't been offering the PE upgrade to Asia , only Europe. AA did retrofits on their remaining 28 767-300 and did not include PE seating.

Pinot, you know the metal. I've done some searches on AA and they are selling PE from Charlotte and PHl to CDG for next year. What are they selling ...true PE or something else? They show the equipment as 332.

Bugging;

AA says they are rolling out PE service on some 332s next year. Schedule not clear. Also confusing is they have announced the retrofit for the A332, but they are mostly flying A333s, but don't say they are being retrofitted. They have changed over a few 777s for flights to FRA. But it's limited in service and number. It will probably be next year before we have a clear picture of what they're doing. They have published a schedule for retrofitting some of their planes, but appear to be behind that schedule.

And to add, it should be understood that equipment changes do happen. During a retrofit of any airline, a set map today (with PE, Business, etc.) can change up to morning of actual flight.

In other words, if you have a reserved seat in a specific configuration, keep in mind it can change anytime up to boarding. Check your reservations online continually to see if seats have changed (this goes for any class).

AA just did this to me two weeks ago for a flight in lie flat business class in Nov. Now just regular Domestic First Class seats (non lie flat). Has happen to me also with United, Delta, Lufthansa, and Air Canada. Just saying.

Cheers,

John

AZJohn;

Very true! AA has put out conflicting news releases over the past year on this issue. Aircrafts to be retrofitted has changed along with schedules. One may not actually know until they show up at the airport. They did not make schedule on the 777s. If your flight is next summer, you might feel comfortable. Later this Fall, good luck!

that is THE reason we booked air thru O...to get to next port if flights delayed. i was assured by our O PCC that that was true. we had no problems this time ( Riviera 8-22- 09-01 :)) but while on board i heard a nightmare scenario of delayed flights and overnight airport stays. the person affected said O arranged for a breakfast at a Barcelona hotel when they arrived a day later and the O van (albeit 1 hr late) picked their group up and drove them to next port (Palamos)

makes me question O air choice for our next trip in Oct '18.

BTW the O PCC we used for our recent cruise told me to NOT read CC as info was wrong many of the times.

I saved this, and it explains many of the situations on this thread.

How Cruise Air/Air Deviation Works

Imagine you have 4 stacks of cards in front of you, each containing 30 cards. The 30 cards represent the allotment the cruise line bought from the airline at consolidator rates.

Stack one is LAX/MIA nonstop. 27 request air deviation-nonstop to MIA. Stack one is now down to 3 cards and the 27 pax paid the same price as "regular" cruise air (where you don't know what you are getting until 30-60 days out).

Stack two is LAX/DFW/MIA. Again, 27 people request deviation, same scenario. Pax accept one stopper at their choice of times.

Stack three is LAX/ORD/MIA. Again 27 people request deviation-ditto

Stack four contains these tickets-LAX/SEA, LAX/ORD, LAX/DFW, LAX/JFK, ORD/JFK, ORD/MIA, JFK/MIA

20 additional pax request air deviation-want LAX/MIA nonstop

3 people get air deviation at the same price as cruise air, 17 have to be booked on "free call" tickets. These are NOT the same as the original 30 tickets. They are generally booked in Q or O class (the lowest, generally available AA class) IF there are tickets available in those classes. If there are no tickets available to the cruise line in those classes, then AA will make available tickets in higher fare classes. Please note that Q and O class tickets are HIGHER priced than the "regular" consolidator class air deviation tickets, so the 17 pax will definitely pay a higher price than "regular" cruise air pax or deviation pax with consolidator class tickets.

IF and this is a BIG IF, the cruise line/airline contract ALLOWS the cruise line to purchase more nonstop tickets, these are FULLY ENDORSABLE tickets, the same as purchasing direct from AA. Depending on time of year and demand, you may be told there are NO air deviation tickets available.

What does the example tell us: Quite a few of the air deviation pax are booked on consolidator class fares. These are group rates given under contract from the airline to the cruise line. The airline states "you will pay us $200.00 per ticket. We don't care what you sell it for". That is how ALL consolidator tickets work. However, there are some VERY stringent restrictions on these types of tickets. USUALLY-very large change fees, if a change is allowed at all, and NON ENDORSABLE tickets (they have no value to another airline).

So most of the pax who requested air deviation are still using consolidator class tickets. If there is a problem, depending on the goodwill of the airline/cruise line, you may or may not (most likely) be put on another carrier to reach your destination.

To be placed on another carrier with a consolidator ticket, the originating carrier has to pay the flying carrier IN CASH-there is no tit for tat exchanging seats, as is common with endorsable tickets. With most airlines in financial trouble, most likely the airline will NOT pay for a ticket on another carrier. And Southwest, AirTran and JetBlue for the most part DO NOT participate in tit for tat exchanges with any carrier, but you will not find cruise lines buying those tickets.

The few lucky people who paid extra have fully endorsable tickets, good on any airline the originating carrier has agreements with and seats available. But they paid EXTRA. They could have booked their own seats and saved money.

What happens to the "regular" cruise air pax? See the remnants of piles 2 and 3? See pile 4???

That is what is left. So somehow, the cruise line has to get those pax from LAX to Miami. Six lucky people will get a one stopper, either ORD or DFW. The rest-Take a combination of cards-lets say LAX/SEA/ORD/JFK/MIA. The cruise line has now fulfilled their obligation to get you to the ship. And because the cruise line does not put the flights together until AFTER final payment, regular cruise air pax are left with PILE 4.

It does not matter that it will take you 12 hours to get to the cruise and you had to leave home at 2:00AM to arrive in MIA at 4:00PM for a cruise that departs at 6:00PM. OOOPS!!! Just missed the connection at ORD. If things weren't bad enough already, you just missed your cruise. Hope the next port stop is within a day and seats on the next flight are available.

while on board i heard a nightmare scenario of delayed flights and overnight airport stays. the person affected said O arranged for a breakfast at a Barcelona hotel when they arrived a day later and the O van (albeit 1 hr late) picked their group up and drove them to next port (Palamos)

Just remember Oceania do not have control over the airlines or flight delays

Fly in a day or more early

makes me question O air choice for our next trip in Oct '18.

WHY? the flights are not even posted yet

BTW the O PCC we used for our recent cruise told me to NOT read CC as info was wrong many of the times.

And yet here you are posting misinformation

What oldfart432 has posted makes a lot of sense. Certainly on other cruises I've heard stories about horrendous routings by the cruise line but mostly from US passengers. I noticed that Oceania's final payment date is earlier than say HAL's (75 days) which gives them more room to maneuver.

Estimating how many passengers will be flying in for a cruise and flying out afterwards is not too bad but when you think about estimating how many passengers are going to/from each of the gateway cities, that's quite a different matter. I don't know how far in advance a cruise line buys blocks of tickets and how late they can add to those blocks at preferential pricing. I would think they know that almost all of us prefer non-stop flights and that when they bounce us around too much, we start complaining.

On domestic flights, each direction is priced separately but on international flights the pricing is generally round trip. By consolidating the cruise lines are able to split those round trip flights into 2 parts and pass that advantage on to those of us doing trans Atlantic cruises. But doing so gets very complicated. And then the airline changes the equipment or the schedule!

But the cruise lines do know a lot about us [individually and collectively], especially if we are repeat customers. Getting the flights right for most passengers can certainly give the cruise line a competitive advantage. Conversely, if they can't get it right, they should either fix it or stop doing it.