Wheelchait/Scooter advice, Please!

Honeybear

I'm so thankful for this Board! I own a wheelchair and a Scooter. We are fling from Illinois to Tampa. I'm trying to decide whether to take my WC or my Scooter OR Rent either of them. I can walk some but only about 70 feet before I wear out. What are your pros and cons for each?

Thoughts....

• what type of wheelchair is this? Is it a transport chair where a loved one can push you?

I done Alaska and Pacific repositions.... the transport chair has its advantages as long as someone is able to push you.

• can use a regular cabin
  • no need to worry about recharging
  • can use a regular cab with the transport chair collapsed
  • we have a transport chair where the armrests fold up lambo style. Can be wheeled into the MDR table without a transfer.
  • the small wheels can be uncomfortable on rough surfaces
  • only problem I found on my cruise trips is the door lip going from outside to inside the ship with the small wheels. You might need help from someone to lift the chair.

Thoughts....

• what type of wheelchair is this? Is it a transport chair where a loved one can push you?

I done Alaska and Pacific repositions.... the transport chair has its advantages as long as someone is able to push you.

• can use a regular cabin
  • no need to worry about recharging
  • can use a regular cab with the transport chair collapsed
  • we have a transport chair where the armrests fold up lambo style. Can be wheeled into the MDR table without a transfer.
  • the small wheels can be uncomfortable on rough surfaces
  • only problem I found on my cruise trips is the door lip going from outside to inside the ship with the small wheels. You might need help from someone to lift the chair.

Thank you for your fast reply!! My DD and I always cruise together and she is "always" with me. She'd rather push than walk without pushing me/cart/ something. Between You and She, I'm convinced to take the wheelchair. She said if we come to a bump and get stuck she can always lift the WC but maybe not the Scooter. Thank you again for the speedy reply!

You didn't answer the type of wheelchair you have. Transport?

Bonus tip with wheelchairs.... it can be your personal luggage cart.

• stack the seating area with luggage when not used.... otherwise
  • carry on one can be on the rider's lap
  • carry on two can be stored between the rider's legs
  • carry on three can be hung across the wheelchair
  • carry on four is a backpack on the pusher's back
  • some additional carry's can be hung on the wheelchair handle bar (ie duty free stuff)

My husband has taken his medical scooter on many airlines and on cruise ships. We did the Oasis in February and will be on Liberty next month. He has had no problems. It weights 60 lbs., we charge it in the room and do get asessible rooms so we can have an auto door opener and a ramp like transition plate for the balcony. MDR was easy to get into and we left the scooter close by. (He can walk short distances also) Ports were easy and vans could put it in easily also. (Caribbean)

Enjoy!

Take the scooter and make it easy on everyone especially you. Easy peasy from home to airport to hotel to ship. No one thinks twice about transporting scooters. Just tell them all ahead of time so vehicles are large enough. We just returned from a Carnival cruise on Saturday and everyone along every step of the way was most helpful AND considerate. I used to use a transport chair and my husband was miserable but would never say so. I also wanted the scooter so he had some freedom.

We will be on the RC Allure next week....we have a scooter already rented but need advise on accessible places to go in the ports of San Juan, St Thomas? First time doing this and just a bit overwhelmed.

Depending on the power of the scooter you should be able to go almost anywhere. It's very hilly. Although the streets in Old San Juan are mostly cobblestone and very bumpy to ride on. Last time there I made it almost to San Cristobal fort but decided to sidetrack and go somewhere else. We did not go into downtown (shopping area) of St Thomas. I'm sure there were cabs or vans that would accommodate me but we'd been there so many times we decided against it. Both are US Territories so I'm sure that ADA rules apply there. The one time we used a cab/van for scooter transport was in Cozumel and we had to wait about 15 minutes for the vehicle that could accommodate us to arrive so be prepared to maybe wait a bit in any port.

I'm so thankful for this Board! I own a wheelchair and a Scooter. We are fling from Illinois to Tampa. I'm trying to decide whether to take my WC or my Scooter OR Rent either of them. I can walk some but only about 70 feet before I wear out. What are your pros and cons for each?

Good morning,:)

One of us uses a power-wheelchair when going ashore. (recovering stroke victim)

We rented the power-chair from Special Needs at Sea. The chair was waiting for us in our cabin and upon disembarkation (end of cruise) we left the chair in our cabin as per standard procedure with Special Needs at Sea.

Edited by oldguysandgalls

I wonder about flying with scooter? My dad is getting one that comes apart...will need a scooter on cruise. Will the airlines accommodate?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most people on this forum will advise to keep the scooter intact and drive it to the door of the plane. It does depend on the weight of the scooter and you need to check with your airline(s) to get their approval. Also depends on the type of battery so you need to find out from the airline. The airline your Dad is using going to the cruise and also returning home after the cruise.

Many of us travel with our scooters and enjoy having them. Hope your father enjoys his cruise. , If it's not too heavy most of us think it's better to keep the scooter intact and not check it in with the luggage. Better to drive it right to the door of the plane and then someone carries it down to the hold of the plane (with the wheelchairs and baby strollers etc.) It's waiting for you at the door of the plane when you land.

I wonder about flying with scooter? My dad is getting one that comes apart...will need a scooter on cruise. Will the airlines accommodate?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I ride mine right to the door of the plane. They take it down the stairs and stow it with luggage. I put a sign on the back of my seat and fold the back down so they see the sign. The sign says OWNER HAS KEY. PLEASE DISENGAGE THE YELLOW LEVER BEFORE PUSHING.. THANK YOU. There is absolutely no reason to take it apart.

I wait until everyone is off the plane then I get off when they have brought it back up. It is usually the last thing brought up. I've had no problems so far. EVERYONE with the airlines have been more than accomodating. I am one of the first ON the plane too.

BTW I bought a very heavy duty bike cable with a combo lock in case I need to park it somewhere off the ship while on an excursion etc. There is a place in the floor of mine to chain it to a tree or bench etc. Don't forget to take the key out when walking away from it. I bought a spiral/springy bracelet type key chain.