Viking vs Gate1

hawkeye65

We took a Viking 2 wk Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise and loved it. We raved about it to family members and they're interested. Now we're contemplating a river cruise on Gate1. How do they compare? Will we feel we've taken a major step down?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

We did the Rhine on Viking and just finished the Danube on Gate1. Found them to be very similar. The included tours were very similar. They both offered optional tours.

The rooms were similar and the crew on both were very good.

Both did buffet style breakfasts and lunches.

A couple of differences. Viking tended towards american style food. Gate1 was more European style.

I liked the quality of Gate1 better than on Viking, though that isstrictly my opinion.

For dinner Viking had a little wider selection with a choice of appetizers and, if I recall, about 6 choices for entree.

On Gate 1 everyone gets the same appetizers (though you can tell your server if you do not want one) and the choice of entree consists of 5 options (1 meat,, 1 fish, and 1 vegetarian that change each night, and two items that are available everynight (roasted chicken and Caesar salad)

A little difference in the entertainment. Viking tends to bring outside entertainment most nights (speaker, violin trio, glass blowing, etc), Gate1 does that the first and last night (excellent concert in Budapest), the other nights are more cruise ship like things (crew show, various games like trivia, men vs women, etc.)

Given a choice and the difference in price I would take Gate1 over Viking if they were both doing the same route.

We did the Rhine on Viking and just finished the Danube on Gate1. Found them to be very similar. The included tours were very similar. They both offered optional tours.

Hello RDC1- Does Gate 1 have anything similar to the Aquavit lounge as a second dining area for dinner? On both our Viking and Vantage cruises the Main dining room was too noisy, and the dinners just took too long. Really enjoyed the more causal place to eat.

Thanks

Hello RDC1- Does Gate 1 have anything similar to the Aquavit lounge as a second dining area for dinner? On both our Viking and Vantage cruises the Main dining room was too noisy, and the dinners just took too long. Really enjoyed the more causal place to eat.

Thanks

We were on their newest ship the Monarch Empress. Only the one dining area.