Question: Cruising on Disney Dream - Alcohol policy

trishb13

My husband and I will be going on our first Disney Cruise on Sept. 30 to the Bahamas. I have been told and read on the internet that you can carry on alcohol in a carry on bag as long as it is not packed in your checked luggage. Is the true or false?

We are planning on taking water, 2 uncorked bottles of wine but just wasn't sure about alcohol beverages. Would like to know for sure before we set sail.

Thanks,

Trish

My husband and I will be going on our first Disney Cruise on Sept. 30 to the Bahamas. I have been told and read on the internet that you can carry on alcohol in a carry on bag as long as it is not packed in your checked luggage. Is the true or false?

We are planning on taking water, 2 uncorked bottles of wine but just wasn't sure about alcohol beverages. Would like to know for sure before we set sail.

Thanks,

Trish

Disney's alcohol policy is:

Each guest 21 and older may bring onboard 2 bottles of wine/champagne (750 ml max) OR 6 beers (12 oz max) on embarkation day and in each port of call. Must be in your carry on luggage, not checked.

Time was that DCL allowed whatever alcoholic beverages you wanted, unlimited quantities. Those days are gone.

You can take on all the water, soda, or other non-alcoholic beverages that you wish in your carry on. The wine and beer limits are as Shmoo has posted. Note that you can bring on this allowance in each port that you visit.

ALL beverages must be in carry on bags.

Thanks,

Trish

Disney's alcohol policy is:

Each guest 21 and older may bring onboard 2 bottles of wine/champagne (750 ml max) OR 6 beers (12 oz max) on embarkation day and in each port of call. Must be in your carry on luggage, not checked.

Time was that DCL allowed whatever alcoholic beverages you wanted, unlimited quantities. Those days are gone.

Sorry Shmoo, but the actual policy wording states unopened.

Q.

Are Guests allowed to bring alcoholic beverages on board the ship?

A.

Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port of call. These beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/carrying-alcohol-onboard/

OP, your bottles of wine that will be "uncorked" may not be allowed and confiscated until the end of your cruise as DCL have no way of telling what is inside.

It is best you bring new unopened bottles of wine. Cork or screw cap are fine.

ex techie

Perhaps with uncorked bottles, they mean screw top, not bottles opened and filled with Rum!:D

Perhaps! And it all is down to each persons interpretation of uncorked!

I guess when and if they return they will be able to tell us.

But it is worth mentioning as it does come up occasionally to those not in the know, removing the cork or opening the bottle yourself does not omit the "corkage" fee, as the fee is for bringing your own booze along with supplying glasses, and not buying the establishments booze.

Sadly bottles that have been opened and filled with liquor are the reason they need to say "unopened".

ex techie

I read uncorked as not open so I guess interpretation is the thing here!

My understanding is the corkage fee is in the restaurant is this not the case? Do you still pay it in your room and if so how much is it per bottle?

I read uncorked as not open so I guess interpretation is the thing here!

My understanding is the corkage fee is in the restaurant is this not the case? Do you still pay it in your room and if so how much is it per bottle?

Sorry, my post wasn't very clear! Moki'smommy explained the policy better, I was only referring to a Guest removing the cork themselves to try to avoid the corkage fee in a restaurant, and why the fee is charged.

ex techie

Sorry, my post wasn't very clear! Moki'smommy explained the policy better, I was only referring to a Guest removing the cork themselves to try to avoid the corkage fee in a restaurant, and why the fee is charged.

ex techie

Does anyone actually do that?

To me anyone that thinks they can do this, IMO is really stupid or kidding themselves is perhaps kinder, to think by taking the cork out before boarding, that they won't be charged the fee in the dining rooms/restaurant.

Takes all sorts I suppose.

To me anyone that thinks they can do this, IMO is really stupid or kidding themselves is perhaps kinder, to think by taking the cork out before boarding, that they won't be charged the fee in the dining rooms/restaurant.

There are been posts before asking if they remove the cork in their Stateroom then will they get charged the corkage fee in the restaurant as they did it, nor a server.

I think innocence plays a major factor.

ex techie

We are going to bring two bottles of wine on board when we get on the Glory next week. We know they charge a "corkage fee" if you bring your own bottle to the dining room. My questions is, will they charge a corkage fee if you bring a bottle of wine that has a twist-top?

More and more wines have this option, so you don't have to have cork removed. It also makes it easier to close the bottle, because you just simply put the top back on and screw it tight.

I would think there wouldn't be a charge, because you can just open it yourself like a bottle of soda, but I wanted to double check. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

For example

New cruisers don't always understand the rules, and some of the terms don't make it any easier. They don't get that a "corkage" fee has nothing to do with removing a cork. It means a charge for bringing your own wine into their dining room rather than purchasing wine from the cruise line. Now, depending on how much of a wine lover you are, the combination or a $25 fee to bring the wine in + whatever you paid for the wine off the ship might equal a decent bottle purchased in the dining room.

DCL is clear that alcohol brought on board is to be consumed in your stateroom. They don't make an issue of tracking where you got that glass of wine that you might be carrying around--in fairness, it would be difficult to track whether you purchased it at a shipboard bar, but could be done....especially if you never purchased at a bar. But bringing your bottle into their dining room clearly violates the rules for bringing your own--thus the fee.

I don't know what it's like on DCL, but some cruise lines have different wine glasses in the staterooms than what you get at a bar, so it's easier to tell when someone is bringing a glass of wine from their stateroom vs from a bar.

I don't know what it's like on DCL, but some cruise lines have different wine glasses in the staterooms than what you get at a bar, so it's easier to tell when someone is bringing a glass of wine from their stateroom vs from a bar.

DCL do not provide wine glasses in their Staterooms, so you have to either as your Stateroom Host for them or at a bar.

No doubt if Guests persist on abusing their liberal alcohol policy, I can see them introducing a similar system. Not that it is fool proof as you could take an empty glass or a full glass purchases from a bar and wash it in your bathroom to reuse.

ex techie

Can the beer be in glass bottles or do they have to be in cans? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's no specification as to the container for the beer. Only that the limit is 6 beers per person. And the max size for each beer is 12 oz. If you can find a 12 oz bottled beer, it's certainly permitted.

There are been posts before asking if they remove the cork in their Stateroom then will they get charged the corkage fee in the restaurant as they did it, nor a server.

I think innocence plays a major factor.

ex techie

Agree. I pretty much always let the server open the wine unless it's an older bottle where the cork is likely to be fragile where a Durand or an Ah So is most likely going to be required to pull the cork without it ending up in pieces in the bottle.

• 1 year later...
Can you bring beer to the dining room, and is there a fee?

Ty

The restriction on alcohol you bring onboard (beer or wine) is that it is not to be drunk in public areas. The only allowance on that is that you can bring your wine to the dining room, but you'll pay the corkage fee.