Macadamia Nuts As Gifts from the Trip

ajtraveler66

I won't have many gifts to purchase (4-5), but I am promising macadamia nuts to those I plan to give to.

What are my best options here? I know the Mauna Loa brand is popular, but perhaps there are some that are even better.

Macadamia Nut Factory? Is it worth the visit? Quality gifts there?

Take back with me? Ship?

I won't have many gifts to purchase (4-5), but I am promising macadamia nuts to those I plan to give to.

What are my best options here? I know the Mauna Loa brand is popular, but perhaps there are some that are even better.

Take back with me? Ship?

I know around here, we can pick up macadamia nuts at the grocery store, so they are not as hard to get on the mainland as they once were.

Maybe you want to consider something like the Honolulu Cookie Company that has a variety of macadamia nut cookie flavors. That is what we picked up as a gift on our recent trip. We bought ours in Waikiki, but they have several stores. Just google the company name, and you can find their locations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Make it easy on yourself. Go to Longs, Costco (if buying a quantity) or Walmart and pick up Mauna Loa nuts or gift packs.

That's the best way to purchase macs & each brand I've tasted was equally as ono-licious! :D

The Mauna Loa Visitors Center near Hilo has a greater variety which also comes with a greater price & is why purchasing from Longs, Costco & Walmart is a better option for us.

Definitely the easiest way but not as good of a variety. ;)

Do you think mainland stores would have the lei made of netting that encloses the triangular shaped individual serving packages of Mauna Loa macadamia nuts? You have probably seen them (as we have) at Longs and Walmart, but we don't recall the lei on the mainland. They would pack easily.

Thanks for the replies. Made me laugh.

I certainly won't waste my time and money shipping macadamias to the mainland. I am surprised, though, that there is such a markup at the main Mauna Loa facility.

I like the idea of the cookies. I remember treating ourselves to them when we were in Oahu back in 2010. They were delicious.

Do you think mainland stores would have the lei made of netting that encloses the triangular shaped individual serving packages of Mauna Loa macadamia nuts? You have probably seen them (as we have) at Longs and Walmart, but we don't recall the lei on the mainland. They would pack easily.

I've never seen them on the Mainland & we bring those small mac packs to Ohana on the Mainland that we purchase at Costco Maui. Mainland Costco stores have a greater variety of mac products available for the holidays but never seen a mac lei.

As you probably know they sell plastic containers of those small mac packages at Costco plus ones in a cardboard box with Moana characters. Our grandkids loved the the Moana packaging (and photos we emailed of our Moana themed HA aircraft) which are easy to pack but we also bring them cans & chocolate covered versions of macadamia nut treats. :D

ABC stores have a very good selection of Mac nut flavors, they also carry other fun "trinkets" to take home as gifts. Remember that Macadamia nuts can be heavy, so if you are flying make sure you don't overpack your checked luggage. If your cruise is stopping in Hilo check out Big Island candies. Yummy samples at the factory and a nice selection of cookies/candies to take home. Honolulu Cookie Company shortbread cookies are also a nice packaged gift to take home .

Have any of you had the Macadamia Nuts coated with milk chocolate?

Sooooooooooooooo Good! :D

They're good but I recently discovered the MacFarms Kona Coffee Dark Chocolate Macadamia Nuts. :D They're softer & not as strong coffee flavored as the Kona Coffee Glazed Macs from Mauna Loa.

Costco sells the 28 oz bags & found that it travels better during a flight to the Mainland than milk chocolate which too often gets harder. Those dark chocolate covered macs stay soft for many months in the zip closed bag....yuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmy! (y)

All of this talk about macs made me weak so I'm enjoying them now. :D

We bought all of our souvenirs at K-Mart, plus if you spend $50 you get a free reusable bag.

Everything we bought (coffee, chocolates, nuts) was the same brands as in the other stores. At K-mart the stuff was 1/3 the price of the tourist shops & about 1/2 the price as the ABC stores.

We bought all of our souvenirs at K-Mart, plus if you spend $50 you get a free reusable bag.

Everything we bought (coffee, chocolates, nuts) was the same brands as in the other stores. At K-mart the stuff was 1/3 the price of the tourist shops & about 1/2 the price as the ABC stores.

The Maui Kmart recently closed after losing sales to their competition Walmart & Target. When Kmart first opened in 1993 they lined up overnight to be the first people to shop there.

Maybe you want to consider something like the Honolulu Cookie Company that has a variety of macadamia nut cookie flavors. That is what we picked up as a gift on our recent trip. We bought ours in Waikiki, but they have several stores. Just google the company name, and you can find their locations.

These cookies are amazing!! They have expanded from the island and now can be found in Vegas (Bally's). Definitely worth bringing these back.

Take back with me? Ship?

There is always a tour of the nut factory but if our port day is a weekend only the nut factory store will be open and the prices are high. We usually get nuts at the ABC Store (they are everywhere) the problem is getting home before I eat them all. One trip I bought a dozen boxes and polished them all off before docking in LA. If you have access to Hickam Air Force Base in HI, their exchange has the absolute best prices on the nuts...in gift packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
Are there any KMarts walkable from the cruise ship piers? Visiting Honolulu, Kauai (Nawilliwilli), Kona, Hilo, and Maui (Lahaina). Thanks in advance.

The only Maui Kmart located in Kahului closed earlier this year & don't know if any remain on the other islands. They apparently lost out to Walmart & the increasing number of Target stores.

In Lahaina there are no large retail stores but the Lahaina Cannery Mall (indoor air-conditioned shopping) has a Longs Drugs store which has a good variety of items including things such as macadamias, candy & coffee. I think at one time they had a shuttle bus from Lahaina (about 1.5 miles) & you could search for that information. The Lahaina Center shops are about 0.5 miles and is mostly outlet shopping including the only Hilo Hattie's remaining on Maui.

There are ABC Stores & Whalers General Stores within walking distance on Front Street in Lahaina that have many tourist items.

From both cruise piers in Honolulu there is a Walmart about a mile from the ship.

I know around here, we can pick up macadamia nuts at the grocery store, so they are not as hard to get on the mainland as they once were.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our last cruise, we bought a dozen, different varieties, of the cookies from their Waikiki shop. I don't like nuts so there were flavors I could eat.