Making bowties from skinny ends of two neckties

shipgeeks

Have any of you done this? I'm liking the idea of some two-tone self-tie bowties, after seeing how poor the selection is in stores and online. My mockup looks promising; might remove the lining to make them thinner. Any suggestions, seamstresses and crafters?

Having made a bow tie, I can't imagine that the skinny end of a necktie is wide enough to make the "bubble" that you need in order to form the bow. Can't quite picture that...Otherwise, seems like a good upcycle. I would definitely remove any lining in the necktie and just use the fashion fabrics. You will need to add an interfacing of some sort, I believe...not a very stiff one, but still, you need something to help that bow tie keep its shape. IIRC you only need to add the interfacing to one side.

Have any of you done this? I'm liking the idea of some two-tone self-tie bowties, after seeing how poor the selection is in stores and online. My mockup looks promising; might remove the lining to make them thinner. Any suggestions, seamstresses and crafters?

Be sure to post photos -- would love to see the finished product. I used to make bow ties and cummerbunds from cutting up thrifted silk blouses, vests, dresses, etc. I think I still have the pattern tucked away somewhere. The first set I made was for my dad. The pattern dates back to the 70s.

As for making them from neckties, men's ties are cut on the bias. The ones I made were always cut on the straight grain.

Edited by marti2282