Amazon River Cruise Tips

LauraS

• 2 weeks later...

Most boring cruise we ever took was on the Amazon. The scenery was all the same. The towns had no culture and were sometimes just pretend tourist sights with children begging or grabbing for money and nothing to see. I tell everyone to take it off their bucket list.

(A trip to the upper amazon might be interesting.)

We loved our Amazon Cruise. I would agree that the one stop at Boca de Valeria was a bit disturbing with children begging for money, but the other stops were very interesting. Manaus opera house and square were beautiful. We enjoyed a private boat trip back one of the tributaries where we saw lots of wildlife, including pink dolphins. I added many birds to my life list. The other cities were also very interesting to wander around through. "No culture?" I don't know what kind of culture harrodfan was looking for, but the towns along the Amazon have their own unique culture that is so different from any other we have seen. We found the many native boats along the Amazon to be fascinating.

We greatly enjoyed our cruise up the Amazon to Manaus.

We were fortunate enough to have a local guide from a tribe deep in the rain forest, he added a very different perspective to everything we saw there.

This is not one to miss, rather one to go and see before deforestation and exploitation of the local resources changes it for ever.