Uh Oh...New ship Merviglia getting terrible reviews...hope Seaside well be better

cowboygene

booked on the Seaside for February.....the reviews on the newest ship Merviglia are dismal..only 36% liked the cruise..hoping the US team can avoid these issues on the Seaside

Where is the link? Even though there were hiccups for us, but we loved our cruise in June.

More people will complain then compliment 😀 I have yet to see any new cruise ship get off to a perfect start. That's why I wait a few months for the ship to bed in before I sail on her.

I remember when Harmony of the Seas first set sail, there was loads of complaints about the technology not working or the crew didn't know what they were doing or the ship was still being decorated.

You won't be on the Seaside until about 4 months after she is launched. They should have all the major kinks worked out by then and the crew will have settled in.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I've read most of the reviews (starting with Beamafar's-which I still look at, thanks, again), but nothing deters me from our plans: 21 days in May. We're not only NOT in YC but in an inside. If the food isn't good, we don't gain as much weight. We expect our room to be clean, but I'll clean it if I have to. We don't gamble and drink very little but think that the vouchers that allow coffees and ice cream (maybe, not sure) will work for us. We are looking forward to the spa. We hope we don't miss any ports (main reason for our bookings) and don't expect a lot of children on either of our cruises. I LOVE being on the sea and love big ships. For what we paid for our cruise (including our NCL Platinum match to black--sorry MSC long-timers, but that did influence our booking), we'll be satisfied.

Since we have been doing transatlantics, I'm looking at Divina's repositioning out if Miami in 2019!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I've read most of the reviews (starting with Beamafar's-which I still look at, thanks, again), but nothing deters me from our plans: 21 days in May. We're not only NOT in YC but in an inside. If the food isn't good, we don't gain as much weight. We expect our room to be clean, but I'll clean it if I have to. We don't gamble and drink very little but think that the vouchers that allow coffees and ice cream (maybe, not sure) will work for us. We are looking forward to the spa. We hope we don't miss any ports (main reason for our bookings) and don't expect a lot of children on either of our cruises. I LOVE being on the sea and love big ships. For what we paid for our cruise (including our NCL Platinum match to black--sorry MSC long-timers, but that did influence our booking), we'll be satisfied.

Since we have been doing transatlantics, I'm looking at Divina's repositioning out if Miami in 2019!

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

EXACTLY!!! We will be on Seaside in Jan and look forward to it.

We're booked on that one, Rhea. We wanted to do it next March but the category we wanted was booked out so I went and booked for the following year just to secure our cabin choice. We won't be in Yacht Club, either - waaayyyy outside our budget!

I have the same attitude to you where food onboard is concerned. If it's not too good it gives me a great excuse to load up on desserts - something I rarely have at home! :D

Enjoy your Black Card benefits. Those of us who got ours the hard way (LOL - all those cruises were really hard going! :p) don't begrudge status matchers. Our beef is with MSC for calling it a "Loyalty" program.

I appreciate the "Thanks" bytheway. I'm really grateful for the positive responses I received and am so glad that the review was of use at all.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=996

6 give ***** (excellent)

3 give **** (v good)

8 give **** (average)

8 give **(poor)

4 give * (terrible)

Thanks for the link Pete. I read through the 29 reviews, although it does raise a flag for me when most of them are members since 2017.

I think such complaints as these are unfair and incorrect.

1. They charge absolutely everything, even the things that in most cruises are included in the cost of the ticket. I would suggest comparing the price of what you paid for the MSC cruise vs the other cruise lines. MSC has the "experiences", the reviewers should have booked the "all inclusive" cabin. Don't book a "bella" inside and expect you will have everything.

2. The crew is completely new and not fully trained to give the service that is expected. Then as many have stated, wait later to go on a brand new ship. There are learning curves, regardless of cruise lines.

3. In conclusion MSC is the worst and expensive Cruise Line !! I don't buy that this is an expensive cruise line.

4. Complaints that the ship had too many people and too many kids. I wonder when the passenger booked, if s/he read that Meravigilia is a mega ship and that they are sailing during the summer (soexpect kids)!

I'm by no means pro-MSC or any cruise line. But to give a cruise 1 or 2 stars because too many kids, etc...unfair.

The one about "new crew" is untrue. MSC had their most experienced crew onboard - I knew quite a lot of them from previous sailings.

Agree. Although Meravigilia was our frist MSC Cruise, the crew and staff we spoke with has been with the company for a VERY long time. I do not know any cruise line would put inexperienced employees on a brand new megaship.

Often people are more inclined to post reviews when they want to complain about something, especially if it's not justified. I've read hotel reviews where "the beach was too sandy" "the seafood buffet was all seafood" and the food in a Spanish hotel "was all Spanish and foreign"...........there are people who shouldn't be allowed to go on holiday :'):'):')

Often people are more inclined to post reviews when they want to complain about something, especially if it's not justified. I've read hotel reviews where "the beach was too sandy" "the seafood buffet was all seafood" and the food in a Spanish hotel "was all Spanish and foreign"...........there are people who shouldn't be allowed to go on holiday :'):'):')

I love when they complain about Italian restaurants in Italy that waiter don't speak English :rolleyes:

This is one of my favorite posts! LOVE IT! Too funny, but sadly true.

For me it was easy to rate the cruise ***** but I was in the Yacht Club and understand that my experience because of that is different than many others experiences.

I think it's fun to read the * reviews but many are hard to take serious.

It's not up to me to judge other when they hate the food or the service because their opinion is their opinion. Are the hamburgers in the buffet as good as the hamburgers in the Yacht Club? NO! Are they good enough and okay to eat? Yes, I think.

Sometimes things are just wrong. On our cruise there was one line for people in transit and one line for people embarking when we should board so when someone say that it was the same line I can't take that serious but maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is one line sometimes?

A safety issue with people embarking in every port because it's easy to sneak onboard!? Do they think that the security staff recognize every passenger when everyone embark in the same port? They swipe the card when someone is coming or leaving!

I hadn't seen the cruise critic page until the 36% was mentioned today. Some of the reviews really aren't that balanced and focus purely on the negative. Personally having read the fair reviews by Beamafar and Kikki I went with an open mind. I was pleasantly surprised as the good things were very good and it was clear a number the issues identified, particularly in the dining rooms, had or were being dealt with. I do wonder whether some those service issues were a direct result of the flexi dining mess. When we were on the ship, classic dining had settled down and we had good service all week. Meal times ( with the exception of one night where desert went missing a little too long ) were a nice 1 hour or just over.

I saw some reviews on here which suggested the ship was dirty and not cleaned which was just completely untrue. One thing I was very surprised at was generally how quiet parts of the ship were both during the day and evening.

We've looked at quite a few reviews of other lines ships and service since we got back to try and pick our next one but combined with the MSC price I've not seen anything that completely sways me elsewhere at the moment.

I am guessing that in a few weeks virtually all issues ( if you can really call them that ) will have gone

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't say I am surprised by people (too old for that!) but I do shake my head at people who rush to be the first to experience something new with the expectation there will be no problems. I worked for a small software company for a while and I can tell you I would never recommend purchasing the first generation of anything! This includes premier cruises on cruise ships. The exception, of course, is sometimes it's just fun to be among the first! There's a fair and balanced way of reviewing in those situations.