Puerto Chiapas

Banditswife

We're porting in Puerto Chiapas after our Panama Canal transit. What are the must see & do things here. Excuse my ignorance, but I had never heard of this port before booking this cruise. We'll be there from 8AM to 5PM. It is the 4th port of 5 in a row, so we're looking for an easy day here. I was just wondering what you experienced CCers would recommend. Also, would this be a port where we can find a tour once we are docked or where we could possibly DIY? Thanks in advance.

No, Puerto Chiapas is on the Pacific side of Mexico, so this is the correct board.

Chiapas doesn't get a lot of cruise ships, as it is generally too far south for the standard Mexican Rivera cruise. So it gets Canal cruises, and cruises going to or from South America. It has a single ship pier, a small resort type thing next to a small terminal.

Edited by CruiserBruce

When we were at that port (about 1 1/2 years ago) there were a few folks selling tours inside the small building adjacent to the pier. For us, there was absolutely no reason to leave the ship (although we did get off the ship and walk around the adjacent facility and grounds). I recall talking to some who took a tour to a chocolate plantation and they were not impressed. And for the record, DW and I really enjoy Mexico (we live in Puerto Vallarta a few months every year) but this particular port is a real loser.

Hank

When we were at that port (about 1 1/2 years ago) there were a few folks selling tours inside the small building adjacent to the pier. For us, there was absolutely no reason to leave the ship (although we did get off the ship and walk around the adjacent facility and grounds). I recall talking to some who took a tour to a chocolate plantation and they were not impressed. And for the record, DW and I really enjoy Mexico (we live in Puerto Vallarta a few months every year) but this particular port is a real loser.

Hank

Thank you. We may just do as you and your wife did. We also are porting in Puerto Vallarta, but have been there before. I agree, it's a lovely place. We're thinking of picking up a tour once we get to Puerto Vallarta. So seems like the best thing to do in Puerto Chiapas is walk around the pool area & have a few drinks. A relaxing day will be welcome after busy days in Costa Rica, Nicaragua & Guatemala. Puerto Chiapas to rest, then Huatulco for a beach day. I think I'm set.

Thanks again CruiserBruce & Hlitner

We spent a day in Puerto Chiapas on our way back to LA after going through the Canal. We booked a ship's excursion (Island Princess) and really enjoyed it. Visited the little town of Tuxla Chico, saw a chocolate-making demonstration, sampled the results[emoji4], and then went further inland to a very old pre-Mayan ruin (Olmec, they think ... 2000 years ago!) . Pyramids that stood there are eroded down so they are easy to explore. I'd recommend it.

We spent a day in Puerto Chiapas on our way back to LA after going through the Canal. We booked a ship's excursion (Island Princess) and really enjoyed it. Visited the little town of Tuxla Chico, saw a chocolate-making demonstration, sampled the results[emoji4], and then went further inland to a very old pre-Mayan ruin (Olmec, they think ... 2000 years ago!) . Pyramids that stood there are eroded down so they are easy to explore. I'd recommend it.

Thx, I'll look into that. We are on Holland America, but they usually have similar tours on most cruise lines.

Thanks sfaaa for your thoughts.