anyone recently off the ship in Mazatlan?

beatriz22

Just there last week. Went to Stone Island, not into town. We received a letter of warning before we got there. Table mates went to town. They said there were guides everywhere helping tourists stay in the safe areas. I personally saw a lot of armed soldiers everywhere. AK 47s everywhere. Draw your own conclusions. Everything seems safe until it is not.

Mazatlan has spent millions of dollars installing a network of security cameras and have beefed up their security all over the areas frequented by tourists. I doubt if you could find a safer city even in the USA.

They did this to get the cruise ships to resume calling on the port after a few years of no cruise ships, so they are very serious about keeping the area safe for us.

I will be going there in January and April 2015, and have no question about my safety.

Edited by swedish weave

I just got off the ship 12/13. Here is my post on Trip Advisor on my experience:

"Dec 14, 2014, 11:06 AM

Hello! Just back from my MR cruise and I have to tell you about my day in Mazatlan.

I was one the of first to get off the ship as I was anxious to see everything (!). Wandered around the plaza, visited the Cathedral and bought 3 rosaries (I'm not Catholic), wandered up and down the streets window shopping (it was early), making notes on the various restaurants mentioned here on Trip Advisor. I made my way to the ocean and decided to have a Bloody Mary at Playa Viejo so I could rest my feet. The kind waiter told me how to take the bus to Pancho's. It was very easy and the busses come about every 7 minutes.

I got on the bus and told the driver that I wanted to go to Pancho's on the Beach. He didn't understand much English (my bad, it's his country, he shouldn't HAVE to know English, I should have written in down in Spanish). In any case, it was my responsibility to get my butt where it wanted to go. I had no idea where I was going, my last trip to Mazatlan was almost 30 years ago! So, a very nice young lady boarded the bus and we struck up a conversation (she spoke perfect English). She told me, between me taking pictures of everything that moved, that we'd passed the stop for Pancho's. In a panic, I told he driver to stop and let me off. I thanked her very much and got off the bus. After taking about 5 steps, I noticed my camera was NOT IN IT'S CASE! I LEFT IT ON THE BUS!

In a panic, I flagged down a taxi, told the driver what happened and he said "Let me take care of it". He drove me directly to the nearest Tourist Police car and explained my situation. The Tourist Police jumped into action and hearded me into the back of the police car! Off we go, red lights flashing! The two officers were both on the radio, making call after call in seach of the bus driver who may still have my camera on board.

Finally, one of the men turned to me and said ;'WE GOT IT, WE GOT IT"! I was so relieved, I took a $20 bill discreetly out of my bag to tip them. Then, we kept going, and going and going, out of town sorta. I silently prayed "Jesus, I have three rosaries in my bag, please help me" LOL! It seems the Tourist Police at the Marina (not port) had my camera. I gave the officers the $20.00 and thanked them over and over! I also took their picture in front the their Tourist Police car! They offered me a ride back to the Golden Zone but I said "no thank you, I've taken up enough of your time" and caught a bus back to the Dairy Queen (as you guys know, and now I know too, that's where the Golden Zone starts).

I found Pancho's, got seated and asked for 2 Pina Coladas with double booze! The Cocount Shrimp was amazing! It's a great place to eat and drink!

For any scaredy cats out there, please take my experience to heart. I was a solo female traveller and even in the back seat of the Tourist Police, I never once felt unsafe in Mazatlan! I can't wait to go back!

Janie"

I've already booked this cruise for next year!:D

We also just got back on Dec 13th. We're very impressed with the obvious number of police/security no matter where we went. This was a definite show of their wanting cruise business in Mazatlan . Our cab driver from the Golden Zone back to the pier was fantastic. Realized we were interested in architecture and made a point to show us some interesting buildings in the historic area. Felt perfectly safe and we've booked the same cruise for next year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also just got back on Dec 13th. We're very impressed with the obvious number of police/security no matter where we went. This was a definite show of their wanting cruise business in Mazatlan . Our cab driver from the Golden Zone back to the pier was fantastic. Realized we were interested in architecture and made a point to show us some interesting buildings in the historic area. Felt perfectly safe and we've booked the same cruise for next year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Double like! The Old Town Mazatlan was gorgeous as was the Cathedral in the Plaza! The food at Pancho's on the Beach was to die for, especially the coconut shrimp! If you are taking the bus, be sure to mention the Dairy Queen on the left hand side of the bus. The bus drivers don't speak much English, so it's your responsiblty to know where you're going. The Dairy Queen is the entrace to the Golden Zone. Wish I knew that before my cruise!:D

Have a great cruise and don't be a scardey cat!:D

Before the cruise lines cut Mazatlan out of their route we used to go to the golden zone and hotel hop- usually starting at the El CID -using the pools and buying beer, margaritas and guacamole along the way.

Has anyone done that recently?

Just wondering if the resorts are still letting cruise pax do that.

• 7 months later...

Any recent updates for Mazatlan? I am trying to figure out what to do, but I am having a hard time finding current info since this destination hasn't seen a lot of cruise traffic in the past couple years.

Anything you can add regarding hotels allowing cruise passengers in the pool area, beach-side restaurant & bar reviews, must-sees, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

This is from Dec 2014. We got off on NCL Star. At the port there is some guy passing out flyer to get people to hotel to use pool and facilities just for order some drinks or food. Forgot the name but it is in Golden Zone. Do not know about El Cid as it is further down. El Cid use to advertise it is in the past. If I remember correctly, there are more than one El Cid Hotel. Make sure you are in the one that let cruisers use the pool.

Good luck!

There last February. It was great to go back to Mazatlan.

We walked the blue line to the square (free), went to the cathedral (free), walked over to the Mercado (free) and then took a pulmonia ($6 total) back to the water taxi ($3pp). Over to Stone Island then down to Lety's. Absolute best coconut shrimp meal in all of Mazatlan ($9), ice cold beers ($2?), a white tablecloth and toes in the sand (free).

Don't care much for the resort thing, seems they're all alike and just a larger scale of what's on the boat. That's just my opinion tho.

We were there in April. Grabbed a cab outside the port gates up to the Centro Mercado. Spent some time there and then went to the Cathedral. From there we walked over to Plaza Machado and then walked the Blue Line back to the ship. Found a good hand made ice cream shop near Plaza Machado and the Blue Line.

FYI - People, please don't walk in the street where the Blue Line is painted. Cars do use the street! Use the sidewalks. Couldn't believe how many people I saw walking on the Blue Line.:rolleyes::eek:

Don't care much for the resort thing, seems they're all alike and just a larger scale of what's on the boat. That's just my opinion tho.

Couldn't agree more.

Thanks all! I agree with your thoughts about going to a hotel pool. If I wanted to sit by the pool and order drinks, Princess is more than happy to accommodate me.

I really like the idea of going to the Centro Mercado, visiting the Church and then heading to Stone Island for some beach-y eats and drinks.

As always, you guys are so helpful! :)