Help, need ideas!

chictravel227

I know this is a big one. This will be my first time to both Cabo and Puerto Vallarta, and I have no clue what to do.

I know in Cabo we should see the arch. Beyond that, what else?

Puerto Vallarta? Just a city tour?

Some helpful info, mom is not a snorkeler nor in the category of liking the beach, well the sand that gets everywhere at the beach. Lol. Museums, ruins, history, all this is great, but I am not seeing much of this in either port, at least through the Disney excursions. I am willing to not book a tour and just wander around or to do private tours since I have not seen any that say pick me pick me!

Any help on ideas would be appreciated from those that have visited!

Oh and no Dolphin encounters please.

Seeing your specifications, I would recommend just renting a private driver to show you and your mother around Cabo or Puerto Vallarta. That way you can personalize your visits to places that you will enjoy and stay at places you like longer, without a schedule. :)

Also look on TripAdvisor for more info.

If you like museums....

In Cabo walk up to the Plaza. There's a nice little museum on one side. To eat we like Taco Loco, in front of Cabo Wabo.

Could also look for a tour to Los Cabos, it usually goes to a Cacti Mundo and a museum.

In PV the city tour is nice. Goes to the church, where Day of the Iguana was filmed and other areas.

We take the city bus 7.50 pesos/pp to the city center. The River Cuale has an arts colony upstream and artists booths going towards the ocean.

Be careful about the taxis. There are different rates for those picking up in port and those just outside the port area.

At the dock in Puerto Vallarta you will see various certified private drivers that speak english very well. They will offer tours, either private or in combination with others to reduce the priuce. A city tour incl. e.g. with extra stop south in Mismaloya over the highway along the coast is a wonderful way to see a lot and be dropped off again at the terminal.

You can option to be dropped off at Playa los Muertos or at the Malecon (boulevard at the ocean) at the end and have a drink or meal there, walk around and do some shopping and return to the ship by cab. The yellowcabs arenot metered, make your rate before entering, price wil be around Pesos 80,-/100,- (or US$ 6.- more or less) to/from the terminal..

Most places accept US$.

Or of course take one of the blue/white buses marked Centro (not those with tunel) and get off near the famous church and walk around from there.

On the way back one that has either airport, Marina, or Walmart/Sams.

Check the maps downtown and southside on this website: http://vallartainfo.com/vallarta-downtown-map.html

(The cruise terminal is on map hotelzone).

In Cabo make a boattour through the bay, some of the ships are glass bottomed.

Edited by Ine

For Cabo, you will see the Arch on your way in as you arrive. I can't really say what to do in this port of call as I just go get beer at a bar.

For Puerto Vallarta, I recommend heading the Centro using public transit (blue and white buses) the stop is a few hundred feet from the cruise terminal entrance. Make sure the bus says Centro on the front window. Get off near the old church and walk around, there is a walkway along the ocean there also. While there, have a lunch or a snack and beer at small restaurant, reasonable prices. On your way back, look for a bus marked Marina or Walmart/Sam's Club.

If you take the bus, from what I know it is 7.5 Pesos a ride and take a proof of purchase from the driver. I recommend using pesos over USD since they don't make change for USD for the bus.

I know this is a big one. This will be my first time to both Cabo and Puerto Vallarta, and I have no clue what to do.

I know in Cabo we should see the arch. Beyond that, what else?

Puerto Vallarta? Just a city tour?

Some helpful info, mom is not a snorkeler nor in the category of liking the beach, well the sand that gets everywhere at the beach. Lol. Museums, ruins, history, all this is great, but I am not seeing much of this in either port, at least through the Disney excursions. I am willing to not book a tour and just wander around or to do private tours since I have not seen any that say pick me pick me!

Any help on ideas would be appreciated from those that have visited!

Oh and no Dolphin encounters please.

In Cabo I would most certainly recommend a water taxi ride to the Arch. You will see Pelican Rock, Lover's Beach, the Sea Lions and Divorce Beach, as well as being able to feed the fish (they will swim right up into your hand.) That should cost $10-12US per person. IMO a genuine bargain! (we've done it several times!) After the water taxi ride, you can easily walk up Hildalgo street to the Museum, enjoying lots of great restaurants and Cantinas. You might also consider walking the Marina, wide easy walk, with lots to see. There is also a nice Flea Market just to the left of the cruise docks.

In PV, I would grab a cab (a bus is cheaper, but a cab should not cost more than $12US for 2-6 folks)....take the cab to Old Town, and then stroll back on the Malecon towards the cruise docks. If you tire, just grab a cab back! There are a lot of great sights to see along the Malecon. Very good restaurants, cheap beverages, and lots of shops to visit. There's a Maritime Museum, lots of statues, sand sculptures, and a beautiful church along the way. Others will chime in, I am certain. There is just too many things to list in one post.

So much good information, thanks again.

Glad I asked, as the excursions had us doing what I would term very touristy stuff (not that we won't be partaking in some and not that there is anything wrong with it) but I have seen glass blowers aplenty. No need to see more.

I grew up with frequent visits to Juarez (alas not recently), but have never been to the western side of Mexico, so I am excited to see what the differences are! My mom, sis, grandma and I loved the open market in Juarez, so much fun to haggle!