What do teenage boys typically wear in the dining room?

Jeafl

My teen boy would not have agreed to go to the MDR so good luck...but I would think a nice polo and kahki's or navy blue pants are ok...if you can get him to wear it! But I would have not allowed him to wear shorts in the MDR...but I am a very formal person and you may not be.

Well, seeing as I'm a teenage boy, I wore a formal shirt and long black pants every night on my Carnival cruise (even though there was only one Formal night). I don't know if resort wear is allowed in dining rooms, but I could be wrong.

I have twin teenaged boys and they have sailed on 5 cruises. They have worn everything from tuxes on formal nights to jeans and a collared shirt on non-formal nights. Shorts are not acceptable IMHO. Hope that helps. :)

Obviously, clothes. ;) However, I guess I was wondering if khaki cargo shorts and a polo are ok.

Were were on the Carnival Victory in March and my 13 year old son wore khaki shorts and a polo, except on the formal/elegant night wore black pants and a white lLong sleeve button down shirt. This was just fine. If he would have had to wear the long pants every night, we wouldn't have been going to the main dining room - same goes for my husband.....

Last year my 18 year old son wore nice golf shorts and a polo, or nice jeans (no holes,dark denim)or khaki slacks and a polo or a button down shirt. It would depend on the condition of the cargo shorts if I would let my son wear them in the MDR - some of them are pretty ratty looking, even when new. On elegant nights, he wore slacks and a dress shirt with a tie.

My teen boy would not have agreed to go to the MDR so good luck...but I would think a nice polo and kahki's or navy blue pants are ok...if you can get him to wear it! But I would have not allowed him to wear shorts in the MDR...but I am a very formal person and you may not be.

That would be fine from what I have seen.

I do think they would prefer button up shirts on Elegant night

but I really doubt anything would even be said.

Jackets and ties are not even required on Elegant night.

Shorts are acceptible on non elegant nights.

From Carnival FAQ's

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido restaurants.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

I have a 15 year old boy who has been cruising since he was 9. We've never done shorts for dinner in the MDR. For non-formal nights, he usually wears dress pants, khakis or colored jeans (royal blue, white, or black...they really don't look like jeans, although they are colored denim) with a collared shirt (either polo style or button down). For formal nights, he wears black dress pants, shirt, tie and jacket.

i'm so tired of people saying "shorts are not acceptable" in the MDR,

THEY ARE... if they are dress shorts, and they can be worn on non-formal nights... look at the Carnival dress code... it just get to me how people freak out over this subject...

OP... dress shorts and a polo shirt are fine... I wear them to every meal except "dress-up night "

i'm so tired of people saying "shorts are not acceptable" in the MDR,

THEY ARE... if they are dress shorts, and they can be worn on non-formal nights... look at the Carnival dress code... it just get to me how people freak out over this subject...

OP... dress shorts and a polo shirt are fine... I wear them to every meal except "dress-up night "

I dont think anyone is freaking out...we are just giving our oponion (since the OP asked) and I just dont feel that shorts are approriate in that setting...but again, I am a very formal person when it comes to stuff like this and what I do may or may not be what someone else does. We all have our own idea of what we feel is acceptable in the MDR. I wouldnt have let my kid dress like that in a nice resturant so I sure wouldnt let him dress that way in the MDR...but my "kid" is now 22 and dresses the way he likes!:cool:

My son and I may be the most casual people in the world. Except when we are not. While my little guy is not quite a teenager yet, he looks like one.

I use the MDR to help him learn manners. On formal nights, I expect him to wear a suit, as I do, too. On casual nights, a sharp shirt and crisp khaki or blue pants.

On the other hand, if I am not sitting with them, I couldn't care less what others wear.

luddite,

what makes you think dress shorts are not allowed in

the MDR ? it's posted right on the Carnival site.

I did not mean ya'll were freaking out over this topic, but I have read soooo many threads about this same subject and it's always the same... some say dress up all the time, some say don't... it's up to each person how they dress for the MDR.. I will be able to eat my food no matter how anyone is dressed.:)

and as for me.. I have "great" legs and will be showing them off ;) LOL

Were were on the Carnival Victory in March and my 13 year old son wore khaki shorts and a polo, except on the formal/elegant night wore black pants and a white lLong sleeve button down shirt. This was just fine. If he would have had to wear the long pants every night, we wouldn't have been going to the main dining room - same goes for my husband.....

Same for us. Khaki shorts and polo shirts are totally acceptable, within rules and what the majority of boys will wear on non-cruise elegant nights. Cruise elegant night my son wore long black dress pants and button down shirt as well.

On the other hand, if I am not sitting with them, I couldn't care less what others wear.

Well said! I don't know why it bother's people how others are dressed in the MDR. It doesn't effect my meal or my family in the slightest!

Enjoy the cruise...:cool:

Obviously, clothes. ;) However, I guess I was wondering if khaki cargo shorts and a polo are ok.

I hear teenager I think 13 years old or older, at that age I would hope they know better then to wear cargo shorts to dinner. Let them decide what is appropriate for dinner, you might be pleasantly surprised in what they think is good.

Well, seeing as I'm a teenage boy, I wore a formal shirt and long black pants every night on my Carnival cruise (even though there was only one Formal night). I don't know if resort wear is allowed in dining rooms, but I could be wrong.

THANK YOU for being a tasteful, conscientious young man!

I don't care what other people wear but I would really like to know what "dress" shorts are??? We live in a city where a person can wear shorts anywhere to any restaurant even at dinner but we don't usually do that.

I have never heard of "dress" shorts until I read about them on this board.

I don't care what other people wear but I would really like to know what "dress" shorts are??? We live in a city where a person can wear shorts anywhere to any restaurant even at dinner but we don't usually do that.

I have never heard of "dress" shorts until I read about them on this board.

For guys, think of shorts that a golfer would wear on the course, they are pressed, just short of the knee. Not jeans, not cargo, not board shorts. I wear "dress shorts" golfing, and to casual dinners here at home. But on the cruise ship I feel like the dining room has an atmosphere that deserves for me to turn it up a notch.

I have 4 boys - they all wore shorts (sometimes cargo) and polo shirts every non-formal night. They wore khakis or dress pants and button up shirts on formal night. I'm not going to get a new wardrobe for four boys just so they can wear them a few days on vacation. What the were wearing was totally acceptable and they all looked like very nice young gentlemen every night :)

luddite,

what makes you think dress shorts are not allowed in

the MDR ? it's posted right on the Carnival site.

I did not mean ya'll were freaking out over this topic, but I have read soooo many threads about this same subject and it's always the same... some say dress up all the time, some say don't... it's up to each person how they dress for the MDR.. I will be able to eat my food no matter how anyone is dressed.:)

and as for me.. I have "great" legs and will be showing them off ;) LOL

No,no. I can see that you are a bit confused. I noted that shorts are not acceptable for dinner in the dining room. You mentioned something about them being allowed.

Acceptable and allowed are two entirely different ideas.

No,no. I can see that you are a bit confused. I noted that shorts are not acceptable for dinner in the dining room. You mentioned something about them being allowed.

Acceptable and allowed are two entirely different ideas.

Some people use Carnival guidelines to learn how to dress.

Archived