Car service from Monte Carlo and timing

CLOU

We were supposed to fly home from Nice at 3:30 on a Saturday, but we are hoping to be able to change to an 11:30 a.m. flight. Both flights are to Brussels where we have to spend the night, but we would rather not hang out at the Nice airport. Even though Seabourn says not to book a flight before noon, we are scheduled to dock in Monte Carlo at 7:00 a.m. and feel pretty comfortable that we can make an 11:30 flight, especially if we hire a car to take us to the airport. Does anyone have car service to recommend, and does anyone think we will have a problem making an 11:30 flight?

And, I forgot to ask if anyone has any thoughts on how early we could tell the car service to meet us, if we are scheduled to dock at 7:00, to make sure we can make the earlier flight. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the helicopter is not an option - we had a bad experience in one and so they are off the table. Still hoping someone has a car service to recommend

i am probably in the same situation in october ...

in monte carlo it is not so easy to get a taxi - the taxi's from Nice are not allowed to take passengers in Monaco it seems

and the desk of Brussels airlines is only opening 2 hours in advance

usually Seabourn does arrange a transfer but i cannot remember the charge - last time arrival time was too late for the first flight to Brussels

will try to find a transfer company.

We disembarked the Sojourn a few weeks ago in Monte Carlo and took the Seabourn shuttle. Left the pier at 9. It took about 45 min to get to the airport. Check-in for your flight will open 2 hours before scheduled departure.

We booked a company called Guidoon two years ago and they never showed. They also stranded another couple who had booked them. So whomever you use steer clear of them. Last fall we had an 11:45 flight out of Nice and were able to use the Seabourn transfer. A few days before disembarkation Seabourn will send a form to your suite about disembarkation and on it it asks if you want to use their transfer, when it leaves Monte Carlo and when it will arrive at the Nice Airport and how much it costs. We found it to be easy, comfortable, stress free and inexpensive.

Do your travel dates coincide with the Monte Carlo Grand Prix or the Cannes film festival? If not, you will be fine taking a taxi on your own from the cruise terminal. You can reserve your taxi in advance by calling 0037793150101. The fare will be approximately 100€. Last week we took a private transfer from Monte Carlo to the Nice airport booked through our TA who is also in Monte Carlo and we paid 160€ (sorry, I don't remember the name of the car service).

If you are picked up at 8h00 at the ship, you will be at the airport between 8h30 and 8h45. The traffic will be going the other way into Monte Carlo. The airlines will not accept your luggage before 9h30. If you are flying Air France, you will have to print out your embarkation ticket and also your own luggage tags. This is all very rapid. The Nice airport is really small and stressless.

The only extra precaution I would take would be to inform Guest Services that you need an early debarkation. I would also keep my luggage with me.

Taxis at the port of Monte Carlo can be a real adventure. French taxis are not permitted to pick up there, so it needs to be an MC based service. The lack of competition means high charges, and low reliability. Also, I have heard horror stories of people waiting hours for a car/cab at the port.

Last summer I had an 11 am appointment after disembarking so I needed to be on time. I arranged for a car service through my hotel (Metropol) for which I was charged about $200E to go a little more 1/4 mile up the hill.

I know you prefer not to take a helicopter, but I can tell you that the car service to the heliport is included and they are very reliable. In truth, the $120 charge is a bargain to take the heli when you include the transit from the port.

Edited by descartes1

We used friend-in-france.com. I have just looked and they charge €75 for the journey from Monaco to Nice airport. We used them twice in the past and they were very punctual and drove us right into the port in Monaco.

We have used the helicopter service when staying for a long weekend but I would imagine there is a luggage issue when it comes to cruising ?

Henry :)

Yes Henry,you have to take two Helicopters.