The Benefits of Seabourn Cruising

Hell everyone,

I am writing a final paper for one of my courses about the experience of cruising. I was hoping to better understand why certain cruisers choose Seabourn. I would also like to know to what extent consumption (purchasing things on board, doing Seabourn excursions) matters for your overall cruising experience.

If anyone can respond with one or two sentences about this, I'd greatly appreciate it! Many thanks! :)

It would seem more appropriate that you did the work yourself by researching the various prior contributions to this, or similar, sites!

Indeed I have. Part of the primary research process, however, can entail conducting interviews/surveys to best construct an argument. While I have found posts that help shape my analysis, the above questions better pinpoint the issues I am trying to address--namely, consumption's role in the cruising experience. Hope that helps you understand how the research process works! :)

Hell everyone,

I am writing a final paper for one of my courses about the experience of cruising. I was hoping to better understand why certain cruisers choose Seabourn. I would also like to know to what extent consumption (purchasing things on board, doing Seabourn excursions) matters for your overall cruising experience.

If anyone can respond with one or two sentences about this, I'd greatly appreciate it! Many thanks! :)

Why Seabourn?

1. All-inclusive. No 'nickel & diming', no tipping, alcoholic drinks included.

2. Great choice of restaurants and bars. No reservations (except R2), no set dining times, no supplements (see 1 above), outstanding food.

3. Outstanding service at all levels.

4. Interesting passengers. Often professionals or people with own businesses and lots of experience and conversation.

5. Seabourn 'ambiance'. Tough to put in words but being on a Seabourn ship just feels very comfortable.

6. Never feels crowded. No queueing.

7. Consumption is not important. We almost never use the on-board shopping.

8. Excursions. Depends on the port and what is on offer. Not a major factor in choosing Seabourn. We generally only do excursions if 1) the presence of a guide will add significantly to the experience and/or 2) the port is one where we are not comfortable wandering about on our own.

Consumption has no relevance at all to Seabourn being my cruiseline of choice. I rarely purchase items on board, and shore excursions are usually of little interest as I organize my own private tours most of the time.

I choose Seabourn for the overall experience - service, ambiance, all inclusive cruising, quality of accommodation/food/bars and what I perceive as "Value For Money".

Hope that helps!

Adding to the above:

It's a line for people who like luxury without snobbery. No matter what category suite you choose, from window suite to owner's suite, you are exactly the same as everyone else. Exceptional service across the board is what sets them apart from other cruise lines.

I do think consumption is a factor when choosing Seabourn over another line. It certainly is for us.

Never having to sign a chit or swipe a card for a glass of wine at lunch or ever having to consider the cost of having that extra glass of wine at lunch. Not having to buy a wrist band that gives you unlimited soft drinks during the cruise or pay extra for a coffee and a whole host of other items that many lines charge their passengers.

Of course we all know that we pay for this privilege because the cruise fare is generally a lot higher than other lines, but I think it is the financial simplicity that appeals to most Seabourn cruisers many of whom, as a previous poster stated are employers rather than employees.

A second aspect is that Seabourn along with most other luxury lines have not resorted to money extracting ventures such as art auctions etc.

which although I have never experienced, would be a highly annoying factor in my cruise.

So this is also actually a counter argument to consumption. Seabourn (and I would also suggest Silversea and Regent passengers) will consume but are, for the most part highly selective in their consumption.

Edited by conchyjoe

Adding to the above:

It's a line for people who like luxury without snobbery. No matter what category suite you choose, from window suite to owner's suite, you are exactly the same as everyone else. Exceptional service across the board is what sets them apart from other cruise lines.

What you describe, however, is not unique to Seabourn.

What I think is unique to Seabourn is the complete lack of differentiation between passengers - no butlers or similar 'perks'. The only ones are the virtually completely unobvious - the free internet, laundry etc. for longtime passengers, and I admit there can be a bit of a bias regarding dinner tables etc. for those who practically live on the ships. They are so subtle most people would not notice.

I truly hope that Seabourn never introduces payment for special restaurants, or butlers.

To me it comes down to one word, not even a whole sentence. CREW! The are the best and most accommodating at sea and they are what makes Seabourn unique.

Agree. I just filled out my online satisfaction questionnaire for my last cruise. I listed eight crew members that were exemplary . I could have listed more, but these were the ones whose names were fresh in my mind.

Hell everyone,

Hi collegecruiser24:

I wrote a couple lengthy entries this morning under a separate thread. Someone had asked what the folks thought about Windstar's approach. I gladly threw in my two cents' worth about Windstar, Azamara, Seabourn, Oceania, and Silversea. So check those postings out, I think they could be illuminating.

I respect that you have an academic's approach to researching an issue. Our demographic (that is, my own that I share with the dear wife) is slightly less urbane/wealthy than you'd find with most of the Seabourn faithful. Every customer has a unique mix of values they bring to the table, and maybe my particular worldview will be worth considering.

For me, I love the notion of luxury cruising to celebrate a lifetime milestone event. But no butler, please, I just don't need that fawning attention. And the free-flowing alcohol is not part of the equation because DW and I hardly drink. In most other respects I think Seabourn is really in a class all by itself. :)

Wripro,

That's true but some apparently wish it were otherwise...

On a recent Seabourn cruise I happened to sit near a matron who was clearly in charge of her MDR table of 4 and she was holding forth. It was their first Seabourn cruise.

The conversation went something like this:

" We are Regent people but here we are. Then 7:00 pm rolled up and there was no butler to mix my husband's drink in our suite. What were we to do-

go somewhere else or call someone? (hurrumph/snort) No, I guess you could say we are still (sigh) searching, searching for a home..."

And so it dragged on and yet I thoroughly enjoyed the "bragging" rights of the lese majeste "Regent people" victims of Seabourn's style of service. I mean, how DO THEY MANAGE?

I have been acting out this scene to the delight of others ever since! And for their sake- and mine- I hope they are now back on Regent.

Happy sailing!

Wripro,

On a recent Seabourn cruise I happened to sit near a matron who was clearly in charge of her MDR table of 4 and she was holding forth. It was their first Seabourn cruise.

" We are Regent people but here we are. Then 7:00 pm rolled up and there was no butler to mix my husband's drink in our suite. What were we to do-

go somewhere else or call someone? (hurrumph/snort) No, I guess you could say we are still (sigh) searching, searching for a home..."

And so it dragged on and yet I thoroughly enjoyed the "bragging" rights of the lese majeste "Regent people" victims of Seabourn's style of service. I mean, how DO THEY MANAGE?

I have been acting out this scene to the delight of others ever since! And for their sake- and mine- I hope they are now back on Regent.

Happy sailing!

Now that was funny! I hope when we see you next year you will act this out for us........though the description gave me a great image.:D

Cheers

Julie

Frantic36,

Yes, it will be my pleasure! But first I have to practice flipping my hair about which will be tough since it's too short to flip convincingly.

Happy sailing and until then, enjoy!

And Seabourn does not have butlers anyway.

I guess I was wrong about that. Not the first time. :o I would like to try a Seabourn cruise someday, but the pricing seems to be much too steep for us right now.

Wripro,

Happy sailing!

Wow.

I was a Radisson person before I was a Regent person before I was a Seabourn person. I never saw anything like that on Radisson. I've met some people on Regent I could see acting like that (or Oceania where they'd be bragging about how much they bribed a staff member to come to their lower tier room to act as a butler). I'm not sure why they didn't just put in a standing order for whatever drinks to be delivered at whatever time. Or they could do what I found more entertaining - go to a bar/the club for pre-dinner drinks and actually interact with other passengers.

Frantic36,

Yes, it will be my pleasure! But first I have to practice flipping my hair about which will be tough since it's too short to flip convincingly.

Happy sailing and until then, enjoy!

Markham,

I nominate you for the cabaret at our next soirée with Stefan.

Very good Sir!

I guess I was wrong about that. Not the first time. :o I would like to try a Seabourn cruise someday, but the pricing seems to be much too steep for us right now.

I am sure you will make it.

Have you thought about a paper round to supplement your income?

I am sure you will make it.

Have you thought about a paper round to supplement your income?

Hello, Mr. Luxury, old chap. I suppose a paper round is the same thing as a paper route for us Yanks. I'm a bit old for that. :rolleyes: Was thinking my own company in design called Architectural Landscapes, actually. :cool:

Sorry about hijacking the thread in such a reckless manner. Back to the topic at hand, Seabourn has an amazing product to offer, and I'm sure the loyal customers can articulate those reasons very well.