Sailing Seabourn again!

MarciAnn

Well its been four years since our last Seabourn cruise and now we are doing the 11 night Aug sailing Monte Carlo to Rome with stops in Corsica, Sardinia, Valetta, Florence, Taormina, etc. Anyone done this cruise and have any recommendations? Is the dress policy still just jacket for men on Formal nights? Thanks!

Edited by MarciAnn

I think it's appropriate to call a spade a spade.

It's not the dress code that is getting sloppier. It is the passengers who are sloppy at home, their places of employment, at restaurants and other social venues, at their places of worship, and when travels that is apparent. They dress and act as spoiled teenagers do when they might as well know better, given their age. But as they are entitled to do so, and insist on their right to do so, the results are what you see when you look at them in the MDR. Don't those photos on another recent thread of the woman in the Observation/Constellation lounge with her feet on the upholstered chair make the point? Another reference point is a delightful, well dressed and articulate teenager named Emily whose charming and resourceful father Able Seaman both post on this board and do themselves, their cohort and Seabourn credit through their conduct on board.

My own policy is to dress according to my own (and the former Seabourn) standards and comport myself accordingly. The extends to steering clear big-time-o of any people with overt racist, extreme political, vulgar and sexist talk from many of those same "entitled" people. On a positive note, and as noted above, there are many many smart, kind, experienced and delightful people from all over the world on Seabourn and they comport themselves with class. That mix and opportunity to mix with them makes it easy to overlook and avoid the boors.

Happy sailing!

But men are still unlikely to gain access in just a jacket :eek:

Very definitely NOT the case on the 115 day Sojourn cruise we did this winter. Truly unbelievable how people dressed on formal nights. One guy even wore a leather "bomber" jacket. Most men just wore jackets with no ties and about 25% of us wore tuxes. People did dress a nicer for Christmas and New Year.

i think it's appropriate to call a spade a spade.

It's not the dress code that is getting sloppier. It is the passengers who are sloppy at home, their places of employment, at restaurants and other social venues, at their places of worship, and when travels that is apparent. They dress and act as spoiled teenagers do when they might as well know better, given their age. But as they are entitled to do so, and insist on their right to do so, the results are what you see when you look at them in the mdr. Don't those photos on another recent thread of the woman in the observation/constellation lounge with her feet on the upholstered chair make the point? Another reference point is a delightful, well dressed and articulate teenager named emily whose charming and resourceful father able seaman both post on this board and do themselves, their cohort and seabourn credit through their conduct on board.

My own policy is to dress according to my own (and the former seabourn) standards and comport myself accordingly. The extends to steering clear big-time-o of any people with overt racist, extreme political, vulgar and sexist talk from many of those same "entitled" people. On a positive note, and as noted above, there are many many smart, kind, experienced and delightful people from all over the world on seabourn and they comport themselves with class. That mix and opportunity to mix with them makes it easy to overlook and avoid the boors.

Happy sailing!

amen!!!!

Don't those photos on another recent thread of the woman in the Observation/Constellation lounge with her feet on the upholstered chair make the point?

Happy sailing!

There was a man with his feet up too.

Just sayin'

But men are still unlikely to gain access in just a jacket :eek:

Our exclusive travel planner arrived today for our August cruise,

Elegant Casual is jacket optional.

Formal in the restaurant is tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required.

I would deduce from that if you go down the jacket route on formal night then no tie is required, handy as I only posses one and that's black.

[quote name=

I would deduce from that if you go down the jacket route on formal night then no tie is required' date=' handy as I only posses one and that's black.[/quote]

Correct. And that is based on the policy as written, not on anyone else's "preferences"

Our exclusive travel planner arrived today for our August cruise,

Elegant Casual is jacket optional.

Formal in the restaurant is tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required.

I would deduce from that if you go down the jacket route on formal night then no tie is required, handy as I only posses one and that's black.

We also just got our document for August and that is what is stated. Probably standard for all destinations.

Well its been four years since our last Seabourn cruise and now we are doing the 11 night Aug sailing Monte Carlo to Rome with stops in Corsica, Sardinia, Valetta, Florence, Taormina, etc. Anyone done this cruise and have any recommendations? Thanks!

Marci,

You have already received dress code opinions, so I'll focus on the ports.:cool:

I have been to them, but not all on the same cruise. I'm actually considering the same itinerary as you because it is excellent and worth repeating.

Bandol - very underrated and glad that Seabourn is returning after a lengthy absence. The beach, Anse de Renecros, is great and safe for swimming ... walking distance from the tender pier. Bandol also produces the most celebrated wine of the Cotes de Provence. You can taste (and buy) wine at the Oenotheque de Bandol at the east end of the quay.

Corsica - we were at Bastia, not Rousse, but you can take a short train to Bastia and it is a wonderful medieval city with a photogenic fort, easy to explore with many recommended seafood restaurants.

Sardinia - great beaches, most with safe swimming

Malta - another underrated place. Visited on a Silversea cruise. We took a hop-on/hop-off tour and visited Mdina ... recommended and easy to walk about on your own. Valletta is also a lot of fun to explore ... there is an elevator to the upper town very close to the cruise port. A very nice city and the locals are friendly and English-speaking, so don't worry about getting lost. There is also a ferry next to the cruise port that will take you across to the "Three Cities." Not as busy as Valletta, but well worth a visit.

Florence - many options. Research and pick your favorite, but if you want to visit one of the top attractions, make a reservation to skip the line.

Taormina - visited while docked at Messina (Silversea). From Giardini Naxos easy to do on your own ... Seabourn should provide a shuttle. The main drag is Corso Umberto and has great shopping and photo ops. The Greek Amphitheatre is easy to explore and the views are priceless. The favorite treat is granita and Bam Bar serves the best. Don't miss it.

Santa Margherita - there is a museum on the hill (Villa Durazzo) worth a visit plus Portofino is a short ferry away and it shouldn't be missed. Enjoy a "Rossini" cocktail

Amalfi - the most famous stretch of coastline in Italy and easy to do on your own with minimal research. Positano is also worth a visit. Save Capri and Pompeii for a future cruise when you're docked in Naples.

You really have chosen one of the best itineraries on offer by Seabourn this year.

johnny

Edited by johnnycruise

Oregon50,

Oh, I forgot to mention the elderly couple, late 60s/early 70s, in the Observation Bar at about 18:15 last summer on the Baltic cruise wearing sweaty lycra shorts, head bands and soaked tee shirts? Was that you by any chance?

Anyway, I was disappointed that the wait staff had been instructed that whatever dress code was in place was no longer to be enforced. Very disappointed.

Which just goes to show that commonsense is becoming a rare commodity in the formerly rarified environment of Seabourn. Lack of respect for the line and one's fellow passengers, as practiced by some, is shameful.

Happy sailing!

Since the only actual requirement in the dining room for non-casual evenings is 'jacket required', you will see the occasional man in a bomber type jacket with tee shirt underneath. This is allowed, as is does follow the rule, unfortunately.

However, we have also gone up for a cocktail to the Observation Bar around 6.15 and seen the occasional person there in shorts (and looking horrid, although that does not really make a difference!) and the staff have not asked them to leave. I do not know if staff are nowadays told not to enforce the rule, or if it is indeed still a rule, but personally I think it should be.

I do hope you are kidding about the coveralls. Please tell me you are kidding.

It's true. We saw it during our segment of the cruise that cwisleman was on, SA at Christmas.

I don't believe it was seen on Formal evening though :D

There were at least 4 other CC regulars on the same cruise, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that Formal was coverall free?

On a postive note, they were sleeveless. Actually perhaps that makes it worse? :eek:

It's true. We saw it during our segment of the cruise that cwisleman was on, SA at Christmas.

I don't believe it was seen on Formal evening though :D

There were at least 4 other CC regulars on the same cruise, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that Formal was coverall free?

On a postive note, they were sleeveless. Actually perhaps that makes it worse? :eek:

Are you referring to the two "gentlemen" that wore dungarees for the whole cruise?

I think I did see one of them on New Years Eve wearing said item but with a hat to spruce the ensemble up a bit.

They did look like the two guys from ZZ Top

Their beards came in handy to store food items in to snack at a later date.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Well.... my husband and I are on our first Seabourn cruise early next year (Asia) and we plan to dress up whatever anyone else does! In fact, I am having great fun shopping for him and for me (any excuse!) so we'll be doing the smart casual look or more formal if we're not too out of place. This is a holiday we are both very much looking forward to and we both love dressing up when it's appropriate :)

I hope that by the time we go it isn't even more casual!

Are you referring to the two "gentlemen" that wore dungarees for the whole cruise?

I think I did see one of them on New Years Eve wearing said item but with a hat to spruce the ensemble up a bit.

They did look like the two guys from ZZ Top

Their beards came in handy to store food items in to snack at a later date.

Yes, the very two I was referring to.

Definite likeness to the band, we nick named them ZZ Top during the cruise :)

I'm sure the hat made all the difference to the New Year's Eve ensemble !

I should say right here,they did come across as very nice people during the brief interactions we had with them, but I was a bit scared of them at first. ;)

Yes, the very two I was referring to.

Definite likeness to the band, we nick named them ZZ Top during the cruise :)

I'm sure the hat made all the difference to the New Year's Eve ensemble !

I should say right here,they did come across as very nice people during the brief interactions we had with them, but I was a bit scared of them at first. ;)

Yes,when you got over the initial shock they seemed like nice guys.

I believe they are farmers.

Perhaps Seabourn could sell logo dungarees in the shop.

On second thoughts I'm sure I have seen then being worn by the maintenance crew onboard.

My goodness. These attitudes make me wonder if I will enjoy my first Seabourne cruise. Although I always follow the dress code, I also enjoy people watching and enjoy some of the outliers. I find that life is so much better if I leave criticism at home.

I am so sorry I asked about the dress code! Didn't meant to start a dialogue about it. More interested in the ports and other good suggestions on guides, etc. Thank you Johnnycruise for your very informative post. Let me know if you will be joining us on the cruise!