Welcome to the Witches and Wizards, friends of the Prinsendam forum.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:51 PM.
New Brunswick
40,524 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by jgw321
Advice sought on cash versus credit cards.

We have just had sanlaw (Bill and Sandra Lawrence) join us on our Greenland Iceland trip in Marco Polo. They areCanadians new to cruising and she asked me a question.

Since I am not conversant with foreign financial arrangements and only have experience of UK this is what I replied.

So if anyone can add better information I am sure Sandra will grateful. This seems a topic worthy of discussion with the move to payment by phone. I am not happy with NFI since your cards can be read at a distance by anyone with the right equipment (hardware/software) . It seems inherently less secure to me. I carry my cards wrapped in tin foil.
JG, all Canadian credit cards are chip and pin. We are way ahead of the U.S. When it comes to banking. We've had them for years.

So, your friends should have chip and pin credit cards.

I always take some local currency with me as not everyone takes credit cards. I prefer to use cash for smaller transactions (personal preference) and the credit cards for larger purchases.

Your friends should be aware that most credit cards charge a foreign exchange transaction fee. Around 2.5% more in the exchange rate on average. Works out to about the same rate as if you bought the cash at the local bank, in my experience.

There are a couple of credit cards here that do not charge foreign exchange fees so they may wish to investigate to see what their card charges or if they have one that doesn't.

There are RFID protective holders that can be bought here or on line that are quite inexpensive and protect the credit card.

Most companies no longer require that you report your travel plans because of the superior fraud protection but some stll do. Your friends should check to see if they need to notify their bank (for their ATM card) and their credit card company of their travel plans. They don't want to get to their destination and find their debit or credit cards refused.

Hope this helps a bit.

Originally posted by jgw321
Change of plans.

We have to cancel our trip on Arcadia and go on Marc Polo instead. This is a similar itinerary (Canada in the Fall) but with some important differences. We now get to go to Montreal, which isn't on the Arcadian one, but we do miss New York. This a pity since we missed New York on our Ocean Princess trip. being at the Brooklyn pier. Ever since Trump threatened foreigners we have been apprehensive of New York, whose immigration officials are not the friendliest on the planet, so we are glad to miss that, but we did want to see some of the sights. So swings and roundabouts here. We will enjoy Montreal though.

An even worse substitution is St Johns NS for St John NB. It doesn't seem much of a change, one extra letter and one letter changed, but St John would have been new whereas we have been to St Johns. The main downer is we will miss the chance of seeing Jackie, which is a real bummer.

There are a couple of differences in the minor ports such as Havre Saint Pierre instead of Sept Iles, but they are all new to us so it makes little difference, (you can't miss what you don't know). One big thing that swayed us was a saving of £4,000 (even after loss of deposit). We were getting concerned that we might struggle to find the final payment.

With all these recent changes in cruises my sig has got a bit out of date but my web site is up to date, although I now have some new ports to document.
Your itinerary has changed from Saint John, N.B. To St. John's Newfoundland? Bummer. We'll miss seeing you but Newfoundlanders are a great bunch of people and Newfoundland is a great spot.

Montreal is fabulous - definitely visit Old Montreal. So beautiful.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqui emailme Click here for Prinsendam Roll Call's spread sheet for May 5, 2018 - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer

Chelmsford, Essex, UK
1,393 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by kazu
Your itinerary has changed from Saint John, N.B. To St. John's Newfoundland? Bummer. We'll miss seeing you but Newfoundlanders are a great bunch of people and Newfoundland is a great spot.

Montreal is fabulous - definitely visit Old Montreal. So beautiful.
We found all the North Americas ports on our O.P. trip were friendly, apart from the big apple where we only got to see immigration. In St John's we did a photography trip which went down the coast so we haven't seen the town yet, other than the coach trip through it. We loved Halifax and Peggy's Cove.

We only have the one day in Montreal, but we have an overnight in Quebec. I believe that has an old part too but it is high up so we will need time to get up there, being a bit slow on our pins now.

Thanks for the tips re cash/cards. I hope Sandra joins in here as we can answer any other questions she may have.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JG (talks like a pirate) jgw321@gmail.com
My cruising pages: http://sturnidae.com/cruises.htm

Planned
:

Cruising Profile

Victoria Harbour, ON
2,394 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Watched a show on the Discovery Channel on the Marco Polo on a cruise from Tilsbury to St Petersburg. Brought back memories of our cruise on the Prinsendam. Enjoy.
Allan
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
1,393 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Hello Allan,
yes that was a great Baltic trip. We enjoyed it so much we repeated it again on the Ocean Pincess which docked right in town. Next year we are doing the first part of the Baltic again going to smaller ports on the islands and then later doing the Gulf of Bothnia. We are gradually running out of new places to go and will have to repeat some, so another St Petersburg looks likely. We never tire of Iceland.

I saw your Keewatin update, thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JG (talks like a pirate) jgw321@gmail.com
My cruising pages: http://sturnidae.com/cruises.htm

Planned
:

Cruising Profile