Oceania Marina 12/28/2013 Valparaiso to Papeete

newcomm

We booked this a while back, and are wondering if any other GLBT folks will be on the cruise?

The main reasons we chose this itinerary are the two days in Easter Island, and the really good food! We were on Marina last winter, and it's a lovely ship.

Cheers,

Norm & Ron

Hello. This is my first cruise critic post and hope it is appropriate. Apologies if not. You seem to be the only post my Oceania search. Would you be interested in joining or organizing a private excursion on Easter Island? Hubby and I are certainly gay friendly. Many folks on Azamara organized private tours via Cruise Critic last year and they seemed much more interesting and better value than ship choices. Thanks.

Greetings--

(Friendly posts are always appropriate!)

We have already booked and put down a deposit with Easter Island Spirit. We opted to take their two-day tour, and you are most welcome to join us if you like! When a cruise ship is in port, they try to limit the size of their groups to 18. The owner sent us a list of tours they are offering specifically when Marina is in port, and I will attempt to attach the PDF file if you care to have a look. You can read general details of their tour offerings on their website, easterislandspirit(dot)com

Also, there is an active message thread for this cruise, in the Roll Call section. You should check it out, as many of our fellow passengers have booked tours as well, and you may get some ideas for Fakarava and Bora Bora. Here is a direct link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1758331

We look forward to meeting you in December!

Best regards,

Norm & Ron

Hello. This is my first cruise critic post and hope it is appropriate. Apologies if not. You seem to be the only post my Oceania search. Would you be interested in joining or organizing a private excursion on Easter Island? Hubby and I are certainly gay friendly. Many folks on Azamara organized private tours via Cruise Critic last year and they seemed much more interesting and better value than ship choices. Thanks.

Oceania Marina Jan 2014.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings!

I will be hiking on my own when we visit Robinson Crusoe, and don't know of any organized tour operators there. I'm told there are a couple of enjoyable trails near where we put ashore. There was a 2010 tsunami that pretty much wiped away the only town, and I'm uncertain how rebuilding is progressing.

As for Pitcairn, with only about 50 inhabitants, there aren't any tour companies. If weather obliges and we actually make it ashore, I will be hiking there, as well.

See you on board!

Norm

Hello,

We have established tours on Fakarava, Bora Bora and Eater Isle.

Do you recommend any tours on Pitcairn and Robinson Crusoe Isles?

Thank you.

CL and EL

Hello - Has anyone heard of the following tour package available on Robinson Crusoe at Robinson Crusoe Island Resort?

Here's info:

On Mondays and Fridays we operate our Mokusiga (Lazy) Day Tour.

Mokusiga = F$109 per adult

Children ages 5yrs below are Free of Charge

Children ages 6-11yrs pays F$49.50 per child.

Price includes transfers within schedule time, BBQ lunch, complimentary snorkeling trip, sea kayaks, coconut jewelery making. Coconut climbing & juice tasting.

Thank you.

CL and EL

• 1 month later...
Greetings--

(Friendly posts are always appropriate!)

We have already booked and put down a deposit with Easter Island Spirit. We opted to take their two-day tour, and you are most welcome to join us if you like! When a cruise ship is in port, they try to limit the size of their groups to 18. The owner sent us a list of tours they are offering specifically when Marina is in port, and I will attempt to attach the PDF file if you care to have a look. You can read general details of their tour offerings on their website, easterislandspirit(dot)com

Also, there is an active message thread for this cruise, in the Roll Call section. You should check it out, as many of our fellow passengers have booked tours as well, and you may get some ideas for Fakarava and Bora Bora. Here is a direct link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1758331

We look forward to meeting you in December!

Best regards,

Norm & Ron

Do you know if there is any more space on Tours A&B; I seem to be late in finding this board! How much are the tours?

Millie & Keith

• 2 months later...

Looking forward to sharing cruise news/views/cocktails. We're still sorting out Easter Island touring and are contemplating renting a jeep and having a DIY tour since EI Spirit is full for our cruise dates.

Randy and Paul ;)

Hi, Randy and Paul --

Hope you can find some good options for Easter Island! There are a couple of other tour companies, but I don't know their names off the top of my head. You could check the other Roll Call message board for some other suggestions.

I'll guess that you are from Vancouver :-) We live in Palm Springs. See you in a couple of weeks!

Norm & Ron

Looking forward to sharing cruise news/views/cocktails. We're still sorting out Easter Island touring and are contemplating renting a jeep and having a DIY tour since EI Spirit is full for our cruise dates.

Randy and Paul ;)

Hi Norm and Ron:

We are renting a 4x4 jeep for the second day. Still waiting to hear from Aku Aku tour company for full day tour. If we don't then we might the jeep for both days. We are even contemplating staying a night off the ship to catch sunrise but not sure where the sun will rise (in relation to the big heads) and if the weather will permit.

Randy and Paul

I was hoping to get a sunset photo of the ahu at Tahai, which is walking distance north of Hanga Roa. I believe the sun sets behind the heads, so sunrise should illuminate them from the front. The reverse would be the case for the ahu at Tongariki (with the 15 moai), but that's on the other side of the island. (These are just educated guesses based on maps and satellite imagery.)

Sounds like a great idea to rent a jeep! If I were a few years younger, I'd be doing the same :rolleyes:

Have you read James Grant-Peterkin's guidebook, "A Companion to Easter Island"? Among other details, he gives "best time of day" for photographing various sites on the island. I downloaded the Kindle version and very much enjoyed the overview of the island.

Hi Norm and Ron:

We are renting a 4x4 jeep for the second day. Still waiting to hear from Aku Aku tour company for full day tour. If we don't then we might the jeep for both days. We are even contemplating staying a night off the ship to catch sunrise but not sure where the sun will rise (in relation to the big heads) and if the weather will permit.

Randy and Paul

Thanks for the "heads up" (pun intended :o ) regarding the guide by Grant-Peterkin. He started Easter Island Spirit so you will likely meet him. We have confirmation of a full day tour for the first day through Aku Aku travel company which is based in Santiago. Let's hope that we passengers not on an Oceania excursion can get tendered reasonably early.

We have confirmed a jeep for the second day. Let's see how adventurous we are given the road structure. We have not fixed in stone a night off the ship yet but will wait to see the 'lay of the land' and the weather at the time.

We're also dredging up our snorkelling gear for Bora Bora. Packing all this stuff will be challenging given the airline limitations. We're in countdown mode now.

Randy & Paul

Have you been to Bora Bora before? Definitely bring your snorkel and water shoes! We were there last year, and took a boat tour that included snorkel encounters with stingrays and blacktip reef sharks. Wonderful experience!

We haven't booked any tours except on Easter Island. When we get to Bora Bora we'll see what's available at the pier. There are usually several jeep tours and boat tours you can join without reservations. (No guarantees, but that's been our experience.)

Good luck with the packing!

Norm & Ron

We've listed on the roll call too. Hope the air traffic delays out of Toronto are over by Friday. Snorkel gear is packed. We've never been to Bora Bora so even if we see just a little fish and are able to photograph it we'll be happy. See you on the ship!

Randy and Paul