Can we walk off the ship in Barcelona?

Cruizann

My DH and I are on a cruise which starts in Barcelona and we wondered if it would be possible to walk off the ship to Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter or would be need bus transportation with the ship to leave the cruise ship docking area. Thank you for your help.

there is a shuttle to the Colon statue normally (at the bottom of Las Ramblas). There are also taxis readily available and waiting.

It is walkable though if you like walking. As said, it really depends upon where you are docked as to how far a walk you will have.

Barcelona is beautiful - enjoy :)

Edited by kazu

Yes we would use google maps to find a route and time. I wonder if the shuttle would be available at night. The cruise ship does not leave port until 11 pm (I know we would need to be back at 10 or 10:30, we would check time to board before heading out!). Can the taxis take you right to the ship (or would you need the shuttle too) and do you think in the gothic quarter taxis would be readily available on a Friday night? Many questions I know and your advise is much appreciated.

Yes we would use google maps to find a route and time. I wonder if the shuttle would be available at night. The cruise ship does not leave port until 11 pm (I know we would need to be back at 10 or 10:30, we would check time to board before heading out!). Can the taxis take you right to the ship (or would you need the shuttle too) and do you think in the gothic quarter taxis would be readily available on a Friday night? Many questions I know and your advise is much appreciated.

Taxis can take you right to the ship - right to where you go through security.

I am trying to remember but I think the last shuttle on our cruise was at 9:30 pm. It will be posted in your On Location. Late at night, I would be inclined to take a taxi anyways. There are quite reasonable in Barcelona IMO.

Use google maps to get directions from your ship to your destination. It can give you the walking time as well as the route.

Download POCKET EARTH which needs no internet. Then while on it, download Barcelona.

IMHO the town is not walkable. But there is a shuttle to the base (Columbus Circle, so to speak) of La Rambla.

I love pocket earth and star walk, both have enriched my cruising..neither needs wi fi.

See you soon.

Susan

I have been warned of pickpockets especially in crowds at night. Take precautions and stay on Ramblas no alleys and side streets. On the other hand we love Barcelona especially the wine and tapas.

We were in Barcelona in late August and never felt unsafe anywhere - but we also were not anywhere near Ramblas. :)

All are good choices depending upon what you want to do. We were just in Barcelona a few weeks ago. The shuttle schedule, as I understand it, is coordinated with the arrival and departures of the cruise ships. It is not a regularly scheduled bus, but runs on demand. The ship will know the schedule when you arrive.

You can always get a taxi to take you right up to the ship. However, if one of the bigger ships is docked at the same time you are, taxi drivers talk about a 40 minute trip just to get in and out of the terminal if everyone is getting off or on the other ships.

I did not experience that, so take that as just something else to know and plan some extra time, if there are other ships in port and they are all arriving or leaving the same time you do.

Have a good cruise.

We were in Barcelona in late August and never felt unsafe anywhere - but we also were not anywhere near Ramblas. :)

Peter, I am quoting you only because we are talking about being unsafe.

While pick pockets abound in Barcelona (just like a few other cities that are actually worse), I don't consider walking down Las Ramblas a risk.

Actually no area is at risk if you follow simple cautionary procedures that we do in ALL foreign places. No passports, no excess credit cards or cash. I do recommend extra caution in the Barri Gottic, but it is an area we love and visit all the time.

We have never been "hit" and I have spent weeks in Barcelona. I have seen people hit within just a few hours (they had back packs or fanny packs with all their goods). It's all about common sense.

There are a LOT riskier places than Barcelona IMO and in all honesty, as long as you do things with good sense, you have no reason to worry.

I have been warned of pickpockets especially in crowds at night. Take precautions and stay on Ramblas no alleys and side streets. On the other hand we love Barcelona especially the wine and tapas.

The alleys and side streets are all the charm of Barcelona. Lots of shops and restaurants. Your chances of pickpockets are the same as being on the Rambles. Don't be afraid. Venture out.