CPAP on a cruise

FrankNJ

Wonder how many snorers out there have recently added CPAP machines . I did recently and now I wonder how I will get my distilled water for the device on board ? I suppose I could bring my own bottle ? Anyone have experience with this on the ship ?

Wonder how many snorers out there have recently added CPAP machines . I did recently and now I wonder how I will get my distilled water for the device on board ? I suppose I could bring my own bottle ? Anyone have experience with this on the ship ?

The water won't be a problem. I think it's $4.00 a bottle on the ship. But don't forget to bring extension cords. The outlets are usually on the other side of the room from the nightstands. We always bring 2 or 3 cords and it's never an issue.

Helen

I've had a CPAP for over 2 decades, and have been using the ship's tap water successfully. Just be sure to wash out your humidifier to remove any mineral deposits.

Remember, the ship's water has gone through a lot of filtration before it even got to your bathroom sink.

DH always brings his CPAP. We have pre ordered distilled water and it is in the room when we arrive. Extension cord is a great idea. We have requested one in advance as well, and it has been in the room, but you could bring one along.

I add water to a container attached to my portable oxygen concentrator that I use at night. Have used ships water with no problem. Most of my cruises are 18+ days. I've had no problems either. I was told to use distilled as well

DH always brings his CPAP. We have pre ordered distilled water and it is in the room when we arrive. Extension cord is a great idea. We have requested one in advance as well, and it has been in the room, but you could bring one along.

Thanks for all the replies . Since I have to breathe that water , I'm going to go with the above suggestion , and I will pack an extension cord too. I'll contact HAL and order a gallon of distilled water ahead of time . thanks again .

I have had a CPAP for a month. I was told that I could use regular water but need to empty and clean the humidifier.

My thing is that I was told to plug my machine into a wall socket or an extension cord with a surge protector.

My husband has always used whatever socket is available in ship's cabin and has never had a problem. Do not use a surge protector aboard ship.

Thanks for all the replies . Since I have to breathe that water , I'm going to go with the above suggestion , and I will pack an extension cord too. I'll contact HAL and order a gallon of distilled water ahead of time . thanks again .

DH uses a CPAP...

I call HAL Ship Services....800-541-1576....I order distilled water ($4) and an extension cord...

It is always in the room when we get there....the room steward sets up the extension cord so no one will trip over it....and it's never been a problem...

We would never bring an extension cord.....it just takes up precious luggage space....

Edited by Rowsby

long time cpapp user on ships. agree with everything above. ship provided one is heavy duty and probably safer for everyone on board.

We would never bring an extension cord.....it just takes up precious luggage space....

I keep two extension cords (different lengths) in the CPAP travel bag for use in hotel rooms. I also keep a few adaptor plugs for various countries, and a triple tap plug in there. These have all come in handy at one time or another---primarily in hotels. I've found there isn't always an outlet near a hotel bed, but is across the room.

I use the European adaptor in the ship's cabin, getting myself the use of an additional outlet.

I use a luggage tote for the CPAP and all the accessories, instead of the storage bag that came with it. There's plenty of room in there, which is great for any other medical devices I may need to take. It's also a lot easier if I have to unload everything for TSA to examine the CPAP machine. Getting it back together can be a mess otherwise.

Since the tote is DME, it doesn't count toward the carry-on/one personal bag limit. :)

Since the tote is DME, it doesn't count toward the carry-on/one personal bag limit. :)

His CPAP and bag fits in a carry-on....and then it's filled with the rest of the "stuff"....kindle, camera, meds.....

You are so right about hotels tho....the only time we've ever had a problem was at the Pan Pacific in Vancouver....they had to move the bed because the plug was behind the headboard.....:)

Good idea about taking the European adapter....I just added it to my travel list.....

Edited by Rowsby

His CPAP and bag fits in a carry-on....and then it's filled with the rest of the "stuff"....kindle, camera, meds.....

My CPAP fit in my old carry-on, which was one inch wider. When I replaced that, I had to come up with another solution, which was adding the tote to the mix. It fits over the handle of the carry-on. Funny how there never was any extra room in the carry-on, though, when I removed the CPAP. It's still filled with meds, make-up, and jewelry. Have just enough space for a spare set of undies and a dress to change into after sleeping in it on the plane.

Glad I could help with the adaptor idea.

Thanks everyone!

I knew that surge protectors were not allowed on the ship.

If the ship provides the right extension cord and distilled water, I will order it from ship services.

Will also get an extra extension cord for hotels.

I am a newbie to the CPAP. I have only been using it for three weeks. The doctor told me I would just love it! The first 3 days I Wanted to swat the machine. It is getting easier.

I have a question I use a Resmedn Air that has an Sd card in it. The machine works on a Verizon wireless connection to record my usage to my doctor and I get the results every day.

For those of you who cruise with a CPAP that have SD cards, do you keep your machine on Airplane Mode through your cruise? I know this is a question I need to refer to my DME provider. I am curious.

I am in the process of planning my next cruise. I am waiting for a call back from my PCC.

Thanks.

I have a question I use a Resmedn Air that has an Sd card in it. The machine works on a Verizon wireless connection to record my usage to my doctor and I get the results every day.

For those of you who cruise with a CPAP that have SD cards, do you keep your machine on Airplane Mode through your cruise? I know this is a question I need to refer to my DME provider. I am curious.

Wow. Those machines sure are getting complex! Mine doesn't have anything that remotely sounds like that. I have a Resmed, and I know there's some sort of card in it that records information, but I don't have anything like an airplane mode.

I'll be interested in reading what others have to say about this, in case it's part of my next machine (I'm on my 3rd).

I use a Resmed Air-sense 10 and I don't have to do anything when I travel except plug it in. Of course, if I'm in a foreign country I just use the adapter and I'm good to go. Don't have to change any settings.

Helen

I was in Ireland and it wouldn't upload because I was too far away, but as soon as I came home, all the days of the trip uploaded within a half hour of plugging the machine back in. I can log in and see my report each day.

I was in Ireland and it wouldn't upload because I was too far away, but as soon as I came home, all the days of the trip uploaded within a half hour of plugging the machine back in. I can log in and see my report each day.

Thanks, that makes sense!

• 2 weeks later...
What is the problem with surge protectors on ships? CPAP user.

Going on first cruise this weekend, Alaska on Westerdam.

I wish I could remember the full explanation that Cheng has posted more than once, but alas, I can't. He's a ship engineer, and is in a position to know the reason in depth.

Suffice it to say that since there is no ground, there is nothing to ground the electricity to, and this causes a problem for the ship.

Hopefully, Cheng will see your post and explain again. Or, you could search for posts from him, and see if you could find it. It makes sense when he says it.

I wish I could remember the full explanation that Cheng has posted more than once, but alas, I can't. He's a ship engineer, and is in a position to know the reason in depth.

Suffice it to say that since there is no ground, there is nothing to ground the electricity to, and this causes a problem for the ship.

Hopefully, Cheng will see your post and explain again. Or, you could search for posts from him, and see if you could find it. It makes sense when he says it.

Thank you, Ruth.

I called the 800# this AM and the nice woman there arranged the extension cord. I asked about plugs and she said to take your European adapters for extra outlets to use.

She also said to take the surge protector and it might work. If it did not then it did not, but it would not harm the ship or the surge protector.

She also said to take the surge protector and it might work. If it did not then it did not, but it would not harm the ship or the surge protector.

I have learned not to trust what I hear from Seattle. In time, you will, too.

Yes, the extension cord with a surge protector will work on the ship. However, we are asked not to use them for a reason, and Chengkp75 has explained it. I'll take what someone who works that sort of thing on the ship says, and not someone in Seattle who really isn't in a position to know.

IF you have an electric device that can switch from 110 to 220, then you can use the European outlets on the ship. Yes, do bring an adaptor to increase the number of available outlets.

But DO NOT use the 220 outlet for something that does not accept 220, or you will fry that device.

See the long discussion in another thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48102515&postcount=10) which explains the problem in exhaustive detail.

The person you spoke to was wrong, as is often the case with the so-called "customer service" people in Seattle (or wherever they happen to be) who are, evidently, encouraged to give a "positive" (i.e., one the caller would like to hear) answer even when they don't actually know the answer.