Room Service

Sherbertscamper

Room service is somewhat voluntary I was told. The crew opt to do it (I think they know that some tip). so, you could get your steward but the odds are it will be another person.

We found we pretty much got the same person whenever we did room service. We do tip, so I have no idea if that makes a difference or not?

We almost never order room service. If we decide to order room service late in the evening, who delivers it? I was told on one cruise that it was our room steward. We hate to think of him having to deliver food so late at night when he should be sleeping! Thanks!

Room Service delivery personnel work for the Culinary group whereas the Room Stewards work for the Housekeeping group.

In our experience, all of our Room Service has been delivered by MDR/Lido Restaurant personnel. We learned that for breakfast, there were 13 delivery personnel for the entire ship and a lesser number for the rest of the day. Room Service delivery personnel are all volunteers that are recommended by their supervisors.

On our Last Caribbean cruise, our afternoon appetizers were delivered each day by our regular MDR waiter, Kadek. He asked everyday if we would be at our table that evening, if we wanted anything special, and made Joanie an amazing origami animal with each appetizer delivery.

Room Service delivery personnel work for the Culinary group whereas the Room Stewards work for the Housekeeping group.

In our experience, all of our Room Service has been delivered by MDR/Lido Restaurant personnel. We learned that for breakfast, there were 13 delivery personnel for the entire ship and a lesser number for the rest of the day. Room Service delivery personnel are all volunteers that are recommended by their supervisors.

On our Last Caribbean cruise, our afternoon appetizers were delivered each day by our regular MDR waiter, Kadek. He asked everyday if we would be at our table that evening, if we wanted anything special, and made Joanie an amazing origami animal with each appetizer delivery.

Your second paragraph supplies information that I never knew. I assumed that there were separate Stewards who were part of the Room Service section and were not involved with Lido/MDR service. In the past, I have not recognized any who provided both Room Service and/or MDR/Lido service for me. Interesting!

Always, I offer a gratuity for Room Service! And, I have the money readily at hand when I open the door. The gentlemen are in and out so quickly that there is no time to be finding one's wallet.

Your second paragraph supplies information that I never knew. I assumed that there were separate Stewards who were part of the Room Service section and were not involved with Lido/MDR service. In the past, I have not recognized any who provided both Room Service and/or MDR/Lido service for me. Interesting!

Always, I offer a gratuity for Room Service! And, I have the money readily at hand when I open the door. The gentlemen are in and out so quickly that there is no time to be finding one's wallet.

It was news to me, too. We took the opportunity to question our MDR waiter/appetizer delivery person, Kadek. Most passengers give them a tip and so the extra $$ they receive is a real boost to their income.

On a few occasions, we have forgotten to order something (butter, jam, etc.) and the delivery person went back to the kitchen for it. For such a small delivery staff, they deliver so many breakfasts and are always on time (late on only two occasions in all of our cruises).

Now if Room Service could just pick up the trays rather than forcing the Room Stewards to remove them so that the stateroom can be cleaned. Perhaps a colored tag to be placed on the door handle when the trays are ready for pickup since dialing #92 just puts you on hold.

One person does all of the Room Service cooking in this small area and truly deserves a lot of credit for cooking hundreds of breakfasts in such a small time window each morning:

img_0681.jpg

Was once told by a young Lido steward that the room service steward job would be a promotion with the next step being a MDR assistant steward.

Do know if you call room service for tray pick-up, they will take the tray the next time they are in the area. This saves the room steward from lugging the tray before they can clean the room.

How much do you typically tip for room service? Is it different from breakfast or dinner?

Any additional gratuity that you offer is a personal decision and should be based upon the quality of service received.

For me, for a light breakfast order, $1.00/person is given. For a larger meal, i.e. dinner (which I have never ordered from Room Service), a larger amount seems appropriate to me.

The Stewards almost always seem surprised to receive anything. One needs to have any cash readily available before the gentleman arrives because they will be out the door in a flash!

On one our cruises we ordered room service and to our surprise our waiter from the MDR delivered it, He said he asked that he could could deliver our order as we had dined every night with him per request We were quit surprised and enjoyed the special attention given us.:)

It was news to me, too. We took the opportunity to question our MDR waiter/appetizer delivery person, Kadek. Most passengers give them a tip and so the extra $$ they receive is a real boost to their income.

On a few occasions, we have forgotten to order something (butter, jam, etc.) and the delivery person went back to the kitchen for it. For such a small delivery staff, they deliver so many breakfasts and are always on time (late on only two occasions in all of our cruises).

Now if Room Service could just pick up the trays rather than forcing the Room Stewards to remove them so that the stateroom can be cleaned. Perhaps a colored tag to be placed on the door handle when the trays are ready for pickup since dialing #92 just puts you on hold.

One person does all of the Room Service cooking in this small area and truly deserves a lot of credit for cooking hundreds of breakfasts in such a small time window each morning:

img_0681.jpg

Hard to believe it would be possible for one person to accomplish making that many breakfast orders!

Hard to believe it would be possible for one person to accomplish making that many breakfast orders!

I learned quite a lot about the inner workings of the ship on a Behind-the-Scenes Tour of the Oosterdam. Imagine 500 eggs-to-order breakfast rush in the first two hours EVERY morning. The lone cook that prepares all of the cooked food in that tiny cubicle never gets the appropriate credit for what they accomplish EVERY day.

I seem to remember from our last HAL cruise (several years ago) - that they requested we call the room service number when we were finished and they came and picked up the tray

DW on the other hand doesn't remember -- am I nuts? :confused:

I seem to remember from our last HAL cruise (several years ago) - that they requested we call the room service number when we were finished and they came and picked up the tray

DW on the other hand doesn't remember -- am I nuts? :confused:

No, your memory is great. There is a request for you to call when finished. We have seen that request on several cruises. We always call and the trays are always promptly removed.

We had a little card on our tray that requested us to call the room service number to have our try picked up when we were finished

We tip $2 or $3, depending on how much we order

We order room service a lot, mainly breakfast items, and then late-night snacks.

I learned early on, to bring a stack of $1 bills. I keep them in the top drawer of the desk area. Right after I place my order, I get my tip out to have it handy when they deliver. LIke others have said, they make the deliveries fast.

We had a little card on our tray that requested us to call the room service number to have our try picked up when we were finished

Makes more sense than having them sit in the narrow hallways "hotel style".

If you call, say after breakfast, when you are about to leave can they get in to the cabin for the pickup, or would that require the cabin steward? Our next cruise is our first inside cabin and I know we will not want to hang around there waiting for tray removal. Maybe room service breakfast (we usually do it once a cruise) will have to be skipped.

Makes more sense than having them sit in the narrow hallways "hotel style".

If you call, say after breakfast, when you are about to leave can they get in to the cabin for the pickup, or would that require the cabin steward? Our next cruise is our first inside cabin and I know we will not want to hang around there waiting for tray removal. Maybe room service breakfast (we usually do it once a cruise) will have to be skipped.

Absolutely! While it might be mildly inconvenient for those walking, passengers in wheelchairs or on scooters face a real problem with trays left in the hallways.

passengers in wheelchairs or on scooters face a real problem with trays left in the hallways.

Exactly my thought as my wife uses a wheelchair due to TBI from a car accident years ago. Me being her "pusher" stuff in the hallway is like doing a cruise ship slalom. ;) Laundry and housekeeping carts are bad enough.