Alaska in May

Cruiz'nBaers

To be honest, it could go either way. We've had mostly good luck in May, with longer hours of daylight and overall drier weather. But we did have one pretty wet May, too (in 2012). Here are several photos of Margerie Glacier that my sister has taken over the years and through the seasons, to maybe give you some idea.

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2015/05/17/changing-face-of-margerie-glacier/

I personally prefer May/June. July's good too. August and September the weather starts getting a little "iffier".

We've cruised Alaska in May on numerous occasions. Usually the weather is quite nice, although we got rained out one year. We've also sailed Alaska in June, July, and August.

The bears are just waking up in May, so there isn't too much activity.

The salmon runs don't usually start until the end of June.

There are fewer insects in May, if you are planning to take a land tour.

We think the landscape is more spectacular in May, since the snow is still on the higher elevations. The downside is that there's more ice in the water near the tidewater glaciers.

The flowers are spectacular during the whole season.

We have done 11 Alaska cruises with HAL, in May, June, July, August & September. 5 or 6 of those have been in May. As others have said, the Alaska weather is unpredictable from year-to-year, with it being given that one should expect to encounter rain regardless of month. However, our experience has been that we have had fewer rain or very warm days in May than in other months. But, even in May we bring our rain gear.

Other reasons we like May Alaska cruises is that the snow is usually down lower on the mountains, eagles and whales are easily seen, the merchants are very happy to see you, and the cruise fares are lower than in high-season! :) Also, for some of the crew, it may be their first time seeing Alaska. Finally, there are probably fewer cruise ships up there in mid-May than in June, July and August: not as crowded in the ports.

Have a great cruise! We will be going again on May 22! Yaay!

We're looking at a cruise to Alaska May 15' date=' 2017. I know quessing weather is hard, but does anyone have any experience with mid May weather. Will we be sorry that we chose May? Thanks.[/quote']statistically..... weather is cool and dry. Many like to see the snow.

Does you itinerary include Tracy Arm? May ice congestion usually forces the ship into alternatives.

I cruised to Alaska for the first time this past May (7-15 May). First stop was Juneau and it drizzled most of the day although it wasn't too cold. Second stop was Skagway where it was very cloudy with a few drizzles in the morning but cleared up and warmed up in the afternoon when the sun came out. Last stop was Ketchikan where it was beautiful and in the high 60s.

I took a rain jacket with a zip in fleece lining. I never needed them together. I never wore the gloves I took either.

I watched the Juneau webcam from the time it started (about a week after my cruise) until the last ship left on October 1. At least 90% of the time there was some rain and the temperatures were usually between mid-50s and mid-60s. No real difference in any month.

Beautiful day in Glacier Bay.

a1a855d244611297749ddef1188486bb.jpg

Edited by Scrapnana

We cruised on a RT Vancouver to Alaska for the first time this year May 28 to June 4. As a retired teacher I now enjoy traveling while schools are still in session. :)

Weather is always unpredictable months out from booking the cruise. But we went with an open mind and it was still enjoyable. Juneau was rainy on arrival and cleared. Skagway was gorgeous the whole time which amplified our WP&Y excursion. Glacier Bay was overcast with rain but brought out the turquoise color of the ice. Then there was Ketchikan with light drizzle the whole day.

Enjoy the cruise!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences. We went on a cruise to New England and Canada September 7 this year and were very apprehensive, hurricaine Hermine was supposed to hit New York that day, but we landed in New York City under sunny, blue skies. The weather during our 10 day cruise turned out pretty good, in spite of all the troubling forecasts. So, I think we are going to book the May 15 cruise and enjoy ourselves rain or shine, cold or warm. Thanks, again.

Linda

We have been to Alaska many times in May. The one key weather issue for May is it is one of the lowest rainfall months. Lots of new baby animals exploring life (whales, eagles, deer, sea otters, etc), still snow in the higher elevations, extra sunny days, and great photo ops are big attractions for cruising to Alaska in May.

We're looking at a cruise to Alaska May 15' date=' 2017. I know quessing weather is hard, but does anyone have any experience with mid May weather. Will we be sorry that we chose May? Thanks.[/quote']

The weather anytime in the Pacific northwest and Alaska is always a crapshoot. We have always preferred Alaska in September, but this year we did it in May and lucked out with the weather. But there is more snow about so no chance of getting into Tracy Arm due to ice that early in the season. The advantage to going in May rather than September is the longer days. But we have also had shorts and T-shirts weather on the last cruise of the season. It's a gamble. But anytime is a good time.;)

We have done the 14 day Alaska 3 times....best weather was in May. Rainiest was in August. 7 day inside passage in late July was very wet, but that is to be expected....it is the Pacific Coast rain forest.

Karen

A couple of years ago we did a mid-Sept AK cruise and then the following year a mid-May.

In comparing the two, we liked May better, as we experienced alot more daylight which allowed us more scenic viewing. The negative was that we were not able to get as close to the main glacier in Glacier Bay, due to the ice. Also, the ice prevented our cruise from offering the Tracy Arm excursion. For us, these two items were not a big deal, as we have done both before, but for others it may be a deal killer.

Weather wise, as others have stated, its all the luck of the draw.

We're looking at a cruise to Alaska May 15' date=' 2017. I know quessing weather is hard, but does anyone have any experience with mid May weather. Will we be sorry that we chose May? Thanks.[/quote']

We were on Hal's first 14 day Alaska cruise in mid-May, 2010. The weather was absolutely glorious. We had 13 days of sunshine. It rained only in Ketchikan and that was only until noon. Rest of day was sunny.

However, some people have not had such good luck with May weather. So, you simply hope for the best. I don't think you'll be sorry you chose May.

Week booked today. We will be sailing on the Amsterdam May 15, 2017 roundtrip from Seattle. I know we will have a great cruise, no matter what the weather. Thanks for all of your information.

Linda

Edited by Cruiz'nBaers

Week booked today. We will be sailing on the Amsterdam May 15' date=' 2017 roundtrip from Seattle. I know we will have a great cruise, no matter what the weather. Thanks for all of your information.

Linda[/quote']

Congratulations...the Amsterdam is a fantastic ship....we did this itinerary twice on the Amsterdam....great crew, very upbeat. We sailed on the inaugural....May 18th and had near perfect weather.

Enjoy!

Karen

Congratulations...the Amsterdam is a fantastic ship....we did this itinerary twice on the Amsterdam....great crew, very upbeat. We sailed on the inaugural....May 18th and had near perfect weather.

Enjoy!

Karen

Thanks, we are looking forward to this cruise, first time to Alaska and first time on the Amsterdam.

Linda

Week booked today. We will be sailing on the Amsterdam May 15' date=' 2017 roundtrip from Seattle. I know we will have a great cruise, no matter what the weather. Thanks for all of your information.

Linda[/quote']

I will be getting off the Amsterdam May 15! Be sure to wave to us as we arrive!

At one time I ran ships up in that part of the world and agree with those who have mentioned May is usually one of the dry months. Dry can be a relative term but usually less rain and less fog than summer months. Fog is the real PITA as you get to see nothing but fog. Other May benefits are that there are fewer children on board with most schools still in session if that is important to you. Also, the locals are eager to see you and start making some money and the stores are all fully stocked with all the junk we love to buy. By September, the relatively reclusive Alaskans are ready for us to go home and leave them to their lovely open country. Anytime Alaska is special but we too prefer early season.:D