Luggage Valet service?

jerseygirl3

We will be on the Eurodam Transatlantic next week. We are interested in the Luggage Valet service, but I can't seem to get a straight answer from the company that handles it, nor is the website very informative.

My understanding is that we can put our luggage outside our cabin the night before we arrive back to the States and HAL will make sure they get to our home airport. Since we are flying First Class, there is no charge for our bags, but understandably HAL charges. Does anybody know how many bags you can send per person (First Class allows us up to 3 complimentary checked bags per person) and what HAL charges? I understand HAL also provides our boarding passes.

Any information would be appreciated.

I looked into this once, and it was so prohibitively expensive, that we gave up on it.

But I don't believe the service has anything to do with your airline ticket. HAL, or other providers, simply ship your luggage by air freight to your home. It won't even be on the same plane as you are.

If I am wrong about this, I am sure someone will chime in and correct me.

I looked into this once, and it was so prohibitively expensive, that we gave up on it.

But I don't believe the service has anything to do with your airline ticket. HAL, or other providers, simply ship your luggage by air freight to your home. It won't even be on the same plane as you are.

If I am wrong about this, I am sure someone will chime in and correct me.

Thank you for your response. Actually, below is information I've copied and pasted, but the one thing it doesn't say is the cost. I'm not sure if it's $20 per bag and HAL can't seem to get the correct information. First they told me it was $29/pp for 2 bags, then they said it was for 3 bags. I can't seem to get a straight answer. But anyway, below is the information I've copied and pasted:

For a $20 per person fee, you sign up for Luggage Direct while on your cruise, giving the paperwork to the front desk staff. The cruise line and the luggage-handling vendor get you checked in for your flights, and deliver your boarding passes and luggage tags the afternoon before your departure.

With Holland America’s Luggage Direct service, you put the special airline tags on your bags, and put them outside of your cabin door the night before departure. The next time you see those bags is at the baggage claim in your hometown airport.

Brilliant!

One you exit the ship, you head to customs and immigration with only your carry-on bag. Once you are cleared, you head to your transfer bus, shuttle or taxi to the airport. Or, you can take a tour.

When you arrive at the airport, you use your boarding passes to head directly to security. Your bags have taken to the airport and checked in with the airline by the company providing the Luggage Direct service.

Not having to deal with your bags as your depart the cruise ship and make your way to the airport eliminates a major pain point of disembarkation.

We’ve used the Luggage Direct service on Holland America three different times when getting off of a Holland America cruise in Ft. Lauderdale. We’ve also used the similar Luggage Valet program on Royal Caribbean twice.

Each time, our bags have been waiting for us on at the baggage claim in Kansas City.

A Recap on How You Use Luggage Direct on Holland America Line Cruises

Enroll in Luggage Direct online while on board your cruise through the front desk at least two days before disembarkation.

You will receive your boarding pass and luggage tags the night before the ship’s arrival back into port.

You put the luggage tags on your bags and then place them outside your stateroom door.

The morning of the ship’s arrival, you will disembark the ship, and go through customs with your carry-on items only. At the airport you will skip the check-in lines and go directly through airport security to your departure gate.

When your flight arrives at its destination, pick your luggage up at your flight’s baggage claim carousel.

Notes on the Luggage Direct Program

If your airline charges a fee for checked bags, the airline-assessed baggage fees will be applied to your onboard account in addition to the $20 per person fee. We always fly on Southwest Airlines out of Fort Lauderdale, and the airline doesn’t charge for the first two bags per person, so this is not an issue.

Generally, your flight out of Ft. Lauderdale has to be for the same day of departure between 11:30 am and 6 pm. This varies by location, and by participating airlines.

Participating airlines include:

Southwest Airlines

Delta

JetBlue

United

Alaska Airlines

US Airways (not sure if this includes American flights, call to check.)

The Luggage Direct Service is available at these U.S. cruise ports: (NOTE: we’ve only used the service in Ft. Lauderdale.)

Port of Miami

Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale)

Port of Seattle

Seward, Anchorage

San Pedro, Los Angeles

Port of San Diego

Have you tried Holland America’s Luggage Direct service, or Royal Caribbean’s Luggage Valet program? How wa

We have used the service on both Royal and HAL and it is wonderful. We will use it again in San Diego this December.

Once you set your bags out you don't see them again until you go to collect them at your final destination. So much worth it!

In our experience you are not charged for extra bags, we checked two each.

If your luggage is included you just indicate that on the form and you are not charged extra. Ours was free 1) for traveling in first class and 2) having the airline credit card.

Hope this helps.

###

It's $20 a bag. If your airline charges, then they will collect that too. You set the bags out the night before like everyone who doesn't carry them off and they will magically appear at your destination. Currently HAL only offers it out of FLL and Seattle. But that may have changed. We have used it whenever available and similar services on other lines. It's worth every cent.

Dan

It's $20 a bag. If your airline charges, then they will collect that too. You set the bags out the night before like everyone who doesn't carry them off and they will magically appear at your destination. Currently HAL only offers it out of FLL and Seattle. But that may have changed. We have used it whenever available and similar services on other lines. It's worth every cent.

Dan

So if we have 3 bags each it would be a total of $120?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. Plus any airline charges. We get first bag free. So our two go for $40. We then get to pick them up at the airline baggage area at our destination. No schlepping them through the Customs area or onto a cab/van/bus to get to the airport and then having to check them with the airline. They do it all.

We love it.

Dan

Gosh no, HAL charges 20 per person (up to three bags) if your bags do not fly free on the airline then your cost increases.

Check out the guidelines on HAL's website, page 18

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

###

Edited by PhoenixCruiser
typo

Dan

Hi Dan, I think you might be reading the details incorrectly:

For more information, or to sign up go to

maketraveleasier.com/Holland or call 1-877-847-0045 to

speak to one of our customer service representatives.

Please note the following general information about Luggage

Direct:

• Cost is US$19.95 per person (subject to change)

• Airline-assessed baggage fees will be applied to guest’s

onboard account when applicable as per your airlines

rules.

• Guests may check no more than 3 pieces of luggage per

person.

• Upgrade requests, seat assignment changes, and flight

changes cannot be accommodated onboard.

• Restrictions for each homeport city include participating

airlines, earliest and latest flight times, and citizenship

requirements

Hope this helps!

###

Direct:

rules.

person.

requirements

Hope this helps!

###

Oops, my bad.

We only ever have one checked bag (due to airline extra charges). It's been $20 a bag for our two. Never looked past that.

Thanks for the correction.

Dan

Direct:

rules.

person.

requirements

Hope this helps!

###

I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread for informing me about Luggage Direct. The last time I inquired about luggage services (a few years ago), all they had were outrageously expensive door to door services.

This luggage direct is very inexpensive, and will save me some major headaches. I have decided to book it for our next cruise. Finding out about things like this is what Cruise Critic is all about.

Gosh no, HAL charges 20 per person (up to three bags) if your bags do not fly free on the airline then your cost increases.

Check out the guidelines on HAL's website, page 18

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

###

Thank you so much! I signed up online. And you are correct. The cost was $19.99/pp for up to 3 checked bags. Since we are flying first class, no charge from American Airlines.

We will be on the Eurodam Transatlantic next week. We are interested in the Luggage Valet service, but I can't seem to get a straight answer from the company that handles it, nor is the website very informative.

My understanding is that we can put our luggage outside our cabin the night before we arrive back to the States and HAL will make sure they get to our home airport. Since we are flying First Class, there is no charge for our bags, but understandably HAL charges. Does anybody know how many bags you can send per person (First Class allows us up to 3 complimentary checked bags per person) and what HAL charges? I understand HAL also provides our boarding passes.

Any information would be appreciated.

THANK YOU so much for asking about this. I didn't even know this service existed and because of your question, I signed up for our cruise in December. I think it will be worth every penny!!!