Does the Canaletto still have its own wine list?

canadarocks

The last time we were on a HAL cruise was when the Canaletto had their original menu. At that time it also had a separate wine list from the MDR, with some Italian reds that we really liked. Is that still the case?

Yes, It still had it's own wine list on our cruise in April/May, 2016 and I have heard no reports to the contrary ;)

The last time we were on a HAL cruise was when the Canaletto had their original menu. At that time it also had a separate wine list from the MDR, with some Italian reds that we really liked. Is that still the case?

There is indeed a Canaletto Wine List. Scroll down past the menu to see what is available:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Canaletto.pdf

There is indeed a Canaletto Wine List. Scroll down past the menu to see what is available:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Canaletto.pdf

D'Oh! I've spent so much time reading everything on your fantastic site, but never thought to read past the Canaletto's food menu! :o

Great to see that they still carry some quite nice inexpensive Italian wines. And we were just in Europe and discovered the wonderful Aperol Spritz; great to see that listed as well! :)

Edited by canadarocks

We have found that you can ask your wine steward to get a bottle from Canaletto when you are in the MDR. It takes a little longer for them to bring it to your table (they send someone to Canaletto to get it), and they honor the Canaletto prices. For a splurge bottle you can get a Brunello for a very good price!

We have found that you can ask your wine steward to get a bottle from Canaletto when you are in the MDR. It takes a little longer for them to bring it to your table (they send someone to Canaletto to get it), and they honor the Canaletto prices. For a splurge bottle you can get a Brunello for a very good price!

That's exactly what we did the last time we were on a HAL cruise. :)

That's exactly what we did the last time we were on a HAL cruise. :)

I tried that on the NA in July and was told no by both the MDR and Pinnacle staff. They insisted that it was only available in Canaletto. Hoping the K'dam will be more accommodating as the Montepulciano D'Abruzzo is so much better than the house reds and falls into the per glass pricing for the SBP.

I tried that on the NA in July and was told no by both the MDR and Pinnacle staff. They insisted that it was only available in Canaletto. Hoping the K'dam will be more accommodating as the Montepulciano D'Abruzzo is so much better than the house reds and falls into the per glass pricing for the SBP.

We didn't order it by the glass, but by the bottle. Maybe that makes a difference. We'll be on the NA in January so I guess we'll find out if things have changed with bottles too.

Sue1898, that's disappointing news. My feeling is, that if a bottle is available, and I am willing to pay for it, I should be able to drink the wine I prefer. The inexpensive reds in the MDR are of a lesser quality than the Montepulciano di Abruzzo we get from Canaletto. I'll likely slip a tip to the wine steward before I make my request when we're sailing next week.

Sue1898, that's disappointing news. My feeling is, that if a bottle is available, and I am willing to pay for it, I should be able to drink the wine I prefer. The inexpensive reds in the MDR are of a lesser quality than the Montepulciano di Abruzzo we get from Canaletto. I'll likely slip a tip to the wine steward before I make my request when we're sailing next week.

As was pointed out, might have been because I wanted a glass rather than a bottle. I asked the NA Neptune Lounge Concierge to look into it and the next day she called to tell me they were unable to serve it by the glass at any venue other than Canaletto. I had the same issue the year before on Maasdam and the Canaletto maitre de told me to stop by any evening and he'd pour me a glass to drink wherever I wanted to drink it. I plan to try again on K'dam. I believe the Canaletto wine may be supplied from the adjacent Lido Bar so if it's available there by the glass I may just arrive for dinner with my own glass of wine...where there's a will there's a way.